10 Reasons to Drink Water - Tips To Properly Hydrate
are the top ten reasons for keeping your personal water tank on
full. Water is one of the body's most important nutrients as it
plays a significant role in your health and well being.
Water provides the following benefits:
- Detoxification-flushes out toxins.
- Hydration-keeps our cells moving.
- Satiety-helps make our stomachs feel full.
- Mental clarity-keeps our mind sharp.
- Blood pressure management-helps keep blood pressure in normal
- Skin health-keeps skin moist.
- Kidney stone prevention-helps inhibits stones from forming.
- Digestion-helps move food through our body
- Lubrication-keeps our body moving.
- Essential to live!
Water is vital to living. The brain is about 70% water and
the adult body is about 60-65% water. You cannot live more
than 2 days without it.
Water needs vary depending on environmental temperature-we generally
need more when we are hot and sweating. Any physical work such as
exercise or hard labor will boost our water needs. Additionally,
illnesses that include symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea or fever,
will increase our need for water. Don't forget, we always need to
replenish any fluids we lose!
Lower risk of disease with more H20!
A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology in 2002
revealed that women and men that drank more than 5 glasses of water
were less likely to die from fatal coronary heart disease events.
This study gives us yet another reason to drink up! This is of particular
importance, as heart disease is our nation's number one killer.
Other important benefits of water include potentially lowering
risk of colon and bladder cancer. Also, keeping well hydrated lowers
risk of kidney stones. Water helps flush out the bladder and may
lower risk of bladder infections.
Water and weight management
When we consume soda and juices instead of water, calorie intake
increased dramatically. Choosing 8 ounces of juice instead of water,
adds an extra 120 calories to your daily diet. This could add an
additional 10 -12 lbs of weight over the course of a year,
if done on a daily basis. Water should be utilized as the primarily
beverage in any weight management plan. It provides excellent hydration
with out adding one single calorie! Furthermore, filling up with
water gives your body the feeling of being full, likely helping
with weight management.
General fluid needs range from 8-10 cups per day. Let thirst
guide you, if you start to feel thirsty, refresh with a glass of
Tips to increase water consumption:
- Bring a water bottle for your ride to and from work.
- Drink water with every meal.
- Instead of taking a mid afternoon coffee break, indulge in decaffeinated
tea or coffee, which is more hydrating.
- Indulge in more water-laden fruit and vegetables such as watermelon,
grapes, and celery.
- Fill a jug of cold water, add lemon slices and keep cold and
ready to go in the refrigerator.
- Try special herbal iced tea as a summer refresher-make with
4 cups boiling water, 1 cup grape juice, 4 decaffeinated tea bags-simmer
then store in refrigerator - YUM!