Best Snacks with Healthy Low Calorie Foods - Bean Salad
are great protein packed snack for anyone who wants a quick, healthy
choice to fuel their bodies. Beans are a rich source of soluble
fiber, are both low in fat & cholesterol and are packed with
vitamins and minerals. As the richest source of vegetable protein,
beans will keep insulin levels in your body low, causing you to
feel full for hours and preventing you from overeating later in
In addition to their high fiber and protein content, a new study
finds that beans, particularly black ones, are a rich but overlooked
source of antioxidants (considered important fighters against aging)
and may provide health benefits similar to some common fruits, including
grapes, apples and cranberries.
Like other legumes, black beans contain folate, magnesium, alpha-linolenic
acid, vitamin B6, and fiber. Throw a bowl of black beans into the
microwave along with a few ounces of tuna and you have a serious
protein packed meal. Beans are also great on salads and in soups.
Marinated Bean Salad Recipe
This is a healthy, fresh tasting bean salad that will give you
an easy way to enjoy the many nutritional benefits of beans with
little effort. The fresh herbs make it very flavorful, and it will
keep in your refrigerator up to for 3-4 days. In fact, it actually
gets better as it marinates. The lima beans and fresh herbs add
a nice twist to the more traditional version.
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups fresh green beans cut into 1inch lengths
- 1 15 oz can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS minced onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 large ripe fresh tomato, seeds and excess pulp removed, diced
- 2 TBS chopped fresh basil
- 1 TBS chopped fresh oregano
- 1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil. Cut green beans by cutting
ends off a handful at once. This saves time. Cook green beans
in lightly salted boiling water for just about 3-5 minutes, or
until tender. Drain well in colander. Dry with paper towels so
they don't dilute flavor with excess water.
- Drain and rinse canned beans. Let beans sit in colander for
another couple of minutes to drain excess water.
- Mix all ingredients together. If you have the time, let it marinate
for at least 15 minutes. It can keep in the refrigerator for a
few days. Keep on hand for a quick meal.
||Serving: 1 cup