Gun Crime In America

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Should Gun Shops Be Legal In America?

Yes
46%
No
31%
Only with tighter restrictions, vetting of buyers and penalites for non-conforming shopkeepers.
23%

Total votes: 13

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Gun Crime In America

Post by Boss Man »

Britain has free healthcare paid for by taxes and no legalised gun culture :).
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:Britain has free healthcare paid for by taxes and no legalised gun culture .
well you never know boss. i have british and irish ancestry does that count for citizenship?? along with american indian, dutch german and chezch. :wink:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Your ancestry would need assessing probably by the foreign office.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:Your ancestry would need assessing probably by the foreign office.
thanks boss. i didn't even know that could count for citizenship. i'm not moving anytime i soon i know that. first off, i can't afford it but who know see what happens later on, down the road in life. :)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

deleted the link.
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish0102
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Trish0102 »

With so many incidents that happen due to suspects having heavy-armored gun, no way would I agree for it to be legal.
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

I just have to say, since you find this topic so interesting, Boss Man, that as a 15 year old girl I sold guns out of the spare room at the back of house. I raked in thousands of dollars and had probably over 70 pieces at one time. I have a much smaller collection now, but as a young, reasonably attractive female, I don't feel safe at all without at least one gun on hand. I sleep with revolver next to bed--loaded of course. The only guns whose fault it is that they killed a person is an unloaded gun (because they failed to protect their owner and theirfore killed him.)
In Indiana, it is not legal to purchase a handgun before the age of 21, but it is legal to own one and have a permit to carry one. (Great loophole, don't you think?) I also didn't have to have any training to get it; just walked into the local jail or sherriff's office, got finger printed, and payed a fee. The permit allows you to transport guns as well, and is valid in several other states.
It may also interest you to know that I went for a walk a few days ago. As I have stated multiple times, I live in a rural area. walk was down a desolate dirt road in the evening for about 40 minutes. dog tagged along, but even so, she can't protect me. I had trusty revolver strapped to belt at hip, and a large, very sharp knife through beltloop. With cellphone in pocket, warm gloves and hat, and a great pair of shoes, I was ready for walk. The point is, people are bad. I don't believe in anyone being innocent. I also believe that everything bad that happens to us we bring on ourselves. So if I decided to go for a walk with no hat and gloves, and got really cold, that would be fault. Similarly, if I got raped out there because I made poor choices, planned poorly, and had low moral standards, that would be all fault too, and I would have to accept that and move on. I am not going to be that stupid person, so I am prepared as I can be for most situations.
Besides that, there are many wild animals where I live that could have potentially been out at that time which could have attacked me. dad was walking many years ago on that same road and got attacked by a pack of wild dogs. Luckily, he had a gun and shot them all. Some people may say that being that paranoid is crazy and as some sort of protest to idk who go hiking in the woods with no cellphone or protection. I think those people sound crazy.
As for tighter gun laws being enacted in America, there better not be. I don't see that happening, as we are supposed to have a federal form of government where power is shared on the state, local, and national level. Regulating gun stuff is not the national government's job. The beauty of this country is that it is so big and we have states. This allows us to run an idea (such as tighter gun control) in one state that allows it. We can use this as a test to see the potential affects of it being a law accepted by all states. I think anyone age 12+ should be able to walk into any store and buy ammunition for hunting guns. Any tighter restrictions than that and I have a problem.
Another important point I would like to make real quick before this gets any longer is that if you take away the rights of law-abiding citizens to keep guns for protection, how are they going to protect themselves from the gangsters, drug lords, human traffickers, etc? Those people are fine with breaking the law, and will have no problem finding ways to get guns illegally so they can tyrranize over the less fortunate. I will keep guns and "gun nut" title, thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Britain is largely protected from the traffickers and criminals.

Most gun crime exists between gangs, sometimes an innocent gets killed, but by mistake, or occasionally people being caught in the crossfire during a bank robbery for example, like innocents and police, because the people robbing the banks have things like illegal guns that are sawn off.

Occasionally you get something like a Derek Bird incident, or a Dunblane or a Monkseaton, usually by people who have somehow had use of licenced weapons, or illegally procured weapons, but look at it this way, if America had never had the amendment allowing bearing of arms, America wouldn't be defensive of it, because hardly anyone would be clamouring for legalisation of gun ownership if it had never existed.

You won't cure a gun problem completely, by illegalising gun ownership to the generial public, but you would cut down on the problem and although you might get a small amount of additional trafficking, even if it saved 1 life a year, then illegalising it would make sense.

The problem here is too many Americans will feel some pain and disgust at something like Columbine, but not endorse arguably the most effective method for reducing or stopping another columbine.
splashangel
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by splashangel »

When a woman is raped ,it is not her fault. And I assure you , it's not something you just accept and move on.
As for guns, I'm for them.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

x
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

One interesting thing to consider would be if there was a poll done, on the friends and family of the victims of mass shootings, such as Columbine and Newtown, to ascertain how those directly affected by gun crime from legal or stolen legal weapons think.

I don't know if this has ever been done before or not though.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:One interesting thing to consider would be if there was a poll done, on the friends and family of the victims of mass shootings, such as Columbine and Newtown, to ascertain how those directly affected by gun crime from legal or stolen legal weapons think.

I don't know if this has ever been done before or not though.
I dont' think it would matter boss. Pro gun people don't blame gun violence on guns. they blame in on everything else but!!

It's too imbedded in our culture.

I will say i think they should also limit gun violence in video games too.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Some people claim violent video games allow people to release urges that could spill out into their real lives otherwise.

This has in the past been notable social commentary on the playing of beat 'em ups, but whether it extends to shoot 'em ups as well I cannot recall.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

that adam what's his name that went and shot all those children at the school i heard played violent video games. Not sure on what they were or how accrurate that is, just was told that.

some of them are very violent where you are raping women, and murdering people. And parents sadly let their children play them!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The thing is though there would have to be a proven link between gun violence and real life violence.

The person who you are referring to who must be the Columbine shooter, must have played shoot 'em up style games as you say, but a link between the games and his eventual actions, would probably be circumstantial, unless he'd actually confessed to the games giving him the urge to do it and it was agreed that his testimony was given whilst he was of sound mind and not in a stae of mental instability.

I'm not sure he ever confessed, to where the emotional corruption that affected his actions actually came from, but then I was never acutely interested in the whole toing's and froing's of the case at the time, I was just aware of it.

These people may become corrupted by such video games and want to enact them, but then it could be result of a genetic flaw in their DNA, affecting emotions and mental stability, it could be exposure to poor parenting, or being able to watch violent films or TV, or encouraged to like guns too much, by people with questionable agendas.

Whether any wholescale studies have ben done on such people, to ascertain a pattern or correlation I don't know.