Newbie - please be gentle

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kaj600
STARTING OUT

Newbie - please be gentle

Post by kaj600 »

Hi everyone

name is KAJ and I joined the forum because I have hit a bit of plateau and not quite sure what to do next.

So a bit of background, in Sept. I got a bit of a shock after annual health assessment. So I decided to get back into shape and aim is to go down by 5 dress sizes. I have gone down by 2 so far.

Quick overview of week:
Breakfast - eggs or oats, toast
lunch - salad (rice or leaves), prawns or turkey
dinner - chicken or fish, with either rice, sweet potatoes, or noodles

Mon to Fri AM - between 20 to 45 mins of either HIIT or cardio
Sat Am - 45 mins Spin
Sun Am - 45 mins kettlebells circuit
Mon PM - 45 core incl: plank, press ups, burpees, getups
Tues PM - 45 mins weights circuit (i have 4 different circuits which I switch around each week - but all include deadlifts, squat thrusters, press ups, goblet squats)
Thurs PM - legs with weights
Fri PM - arms and chest

So as per start of post - over the last two weeks have gained a little bit in terms of calves and arms measurements, have found that I am better able to keep at the exercises, still challenging but dont feel impossible any more, for e.g. can do 5 burpees in a round rather than 4 before. But other than that - have not changed any other measurements (up or down), other than gaining 2 pounds on the scales.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

KAJ :D
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Re: Newbie - please be gentle

Post by Roby2015 »

from one newbie to another - hello :)
Unfortunately, I've been away from exercise for so long I don't think I can wisely comment on your routines
Roby
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Kaj, really good to talk to you and congrats on the improvement.

Firstly, I think you're doing a little too much and could take a bit more rest.

This is what I would suggest.

Sat Am - 45 core incl: plank, press ups, burpees, getups
Sun Am - 45 mins kettlebells circuit
Mon PM - 45 mins Spin
Tues PM - day off
Wed PM - legs with weights, including deadlifts
Thur PM - arms and chest
Fri - day off.

As for the diet, your calories look a bit too low, I'd include another meal between your first and second meal, second and third meal and after the third meal, so you'll be eating roughly every 2.5-3 hours.

You've got plenty of options that can be snacks or be part of snacks, like microwave baked bean, soup and rice dishes, vegetables including raw carrot, celery sticks and pineapple, fruits including tomato and cucumber, peanuts, nuts, bread, sandwiches oat granolas, flax seeds, ham, turkey, chicken, pork and beef from a packet, pre-boiled eggs and low fat cheese.

Hopefully you'll get more nutrition to help you this way and you won't be at risk of over training / going stale.
kaj600
STARTING OUT

Post by kaj600 »

Thank you both for the replies.

Silly question can I swap the sat and mon, because I can only do the spin on sat, I get home too late for the Monday class.

So going up to six smaller meals instead? That can work, I'm getting used to doing lunches in the morning now, so just need to split it.

I do have a snack usually between breakfast and lunch which is ryvita and almond or coconut butter.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, swapping those two days should be fine and as for the six meals thing, that should be fine as well. You do need an adequate amount of calories to promote weight loss and to fuel your workouts and you might be not getting enough for your needs, so I don't think a bit more will be a problem I feel :) .
kaj600
STARTING OUT

Post by kaj600 »

Hi there

Quick update

Firstly thank you Boss Man :clap: . It looks like I am back on track. So have lost about half an inch all in all, sinc we last spoke.

And this was even with me not being able to get to the gym or do much of any exercise over the past two weeks due to work commitments.

Also bonus is that I am not tired, actually full of beans and definitely not hungry. In fact quite enjoying pulling together six different meals for the day.

:thumb:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good job. Be proud of yourself and keep on believing. You may have had one or two glitches regarding consistency, but these are changes that were going to take time for you to become accustomed to, so that may still be the case as it is still a learning curve :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

kaj600 wrote:Hi there

Quick update

Firstly thank you Boss Man :clap: . It looks like I am back on track. So have lost about half an inch all in all, sinc we last spoke.

And this was even with me not being able to get to the gym or do much of any exercise over the past two weeks due to work commitments.

Also bonus is that I am not tired, actually full of beans and definitely not hungry. In fact quite enjoying pulling together six different meals for the day.

:thumb:
kaj600
STARTING OUT

Post by kaj600 »

Me again, thought I'd give a quick update.

So cut the training back to four times a week, and have included a mma class on the fifth day with two days rest. I'm up to 1500 calories spread over six meals a day.

So results in the past three months are same weight but gained two kgs of muscle while losing two kgs of fat. Down 1 inch on the chest, 2 on waist and 1 on butt. Gained 1.5 inches on arms, 1 on calves. Not as great as I was hoping for....

I've also seen a doctor who has recommended that at next check up that they test thyroid.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

WELL DONE Kaj, I'm really proud of you for that and I hope the thyroid test goes okay for you.

Keep up the hard work and be proud of yourself, because you're doing great and 2kg's of muscle in 3 months is great progress. You're definitely turning into one strong, inspiring Lady and obviously a good sculptress and hard worker :clap: :clap:

Keep us updated won't you and again I hope the test turns out okay and if you need anything else let us know and hopefully myself and / or others will be able to help, or if you ever need a discreet one to one about sensitive / personal stuff, PM me okay, as I'm here for members if they need it :).
kaj600
STARTING OUT

Post by kaj600 »

Thanks!

Just a bit disappointed as I lost so much in the first few months.

Am hoping that the change by including the MMA class will help.

Fingers crossed!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You CAN get there Kaj and you CAN do it, just keep believing. You ARE getting stronger and you ARE getting fitter, it just takes time. Head up misses, no worries and just remember that you ARE worth it and you WILL deserve what you achieve when you achieve it, which I'm confident you will.

You're doing great by and large, so cut yourself a little slack, because you deserve to :).