Boopster's Back!

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boopster
REGULAR

Boopster's Back!

Post by Boopster »

Hello all wonderful Shapefit friends. I have missed you all so much and finally things are winding down for me, well at least for the time being. Thought I would pop in and say hello. Actually Nokie sent me an adorable message and I could not resist the temptation to catch up with all of you :D I miss talking to Cassie and Bossman as well as all buds here! Allow me to fill you in.

I am still in the process of prepping to take ACE certification test. Read through the book once and now I'm in the stages of revisiting each chapter and will be ready this Spring. It took a lot longer than I had anticipated but as Cassie can attest, it's a lot of material and far too much to digest with a full time job, two children and your own workout regime to adhere to. But it's coming along well.

job has taken some serious transitions. Due to the rapid loss of jobs here in the US and people not able to carry health care or even being able to afford it, we are all taking hits, even those in the medical field. The solution? Force the old timers that get paid the big bucks out, crosstrain the current "middle of the road" employees and have them do 3 times the work at the same pay. Not liking that idea? Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out! Take it or leave it. The facility I currently work in, will be adding a brand new 24 hour emergency room and we will be able to provide Cat Scan (something we currently don't have). I was approached by boss to take 2 classes, one in the Fall and the other in the Spring and cross train in the Cat Scan department at our main branch hospital for 6 months. It's a lot to think about and though the opportunoty is a once on a lifetime chance, it also leaves a lot of other choices very limited. I would be working first shift ( I've neeb a second shift gal for 15 years and LOVE it) so that would be a HUGE transition and personal trainer accomplishment would leave me very limited for hours with clients. So I'm kind at a crossroads. I don't want to burn the candle at both ends nor do I want to pass up a great opportunity to further learning in current occupation. hubby is very supportive no matter what I decide, but it's a tough one for sure!

On the lighter side, I have no plans to compete in figure anymore. Too expensive and I just cannot find the time to dedicate. I am however embarking back on triathlon journey and plan on doing three this summer. Began training earlier this week and focusing hard on the swim portion as that is weakest link. I have talked 15 year old son into joining me and it will be a great experience for us both. Although he will kick butt when it comes to the swim part. He's been on the swim team for about 6 years now and already outswims his mother in all strokes! I may be able to catch up to him in the bike and run part :D

Hoping you are all doing well and would love to hear from each and every one of friends! Good health and well wishes to you all!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Boopster's Back!

Post by Boss Man »

Good to see you again, you've been missed.

I understnad totally about the competing aspect, but I think the triathlon thing will be just what you're good at and you already have a good conditioning base to work with physically, so you won't have much trouble adapting I should think.

You're always an inspiration, so keep on inspiring people and be be lucky :).
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Boopster wrote:Hello all wonderful Shapefit friends. I have missed you all so much and finally things are winding down for me, well at least for the time being. Thought I would pop in and say hello. Actually Nokie sent me an adorable message and I could not resist the temptation to catch up with all of you :D I miss talking to Cassie and Bossman as well as all buds here! Allow me to fill you in.

I am still in the process of prepping to take ACE certification test. Read through the book once and now I'm in the stages of revisiting each chapter and will be ready this Spring. It took a lot longer than I had anticipated but as Cassie can attest, it's a lot of material and far too much to digest with a full time job, two children and your own workout regime to adhere to. But it's coming along well.

job has taken some serious transitions. Due to the rapid loss of jobs here in the US and people not able to carry health care or even being able to afford it, we are all taking hits, even those in the medical field. The solution? Force the old timers that get paid the big bucks out, crosstrain the current "middle of the road" employees and have them do 3 times the work at the same pay. Not liking that idea? Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out! Take it or leave it. The facility I currently work in, will be adding a brand new 24 hour emergency room and we will be able to provide Cat Scan (something we currently don't have). I was approached by boss to take 2 classes, one in the Fall and the other in the Spring and cross train in the Cat Scan department at our main branch hospital for 6 months. It's a lot to think about and though the opportunoty is a once on a lifetime chance, it also leaves a lot of other choices very limited. I would be working first shift ( I've neeb a second shift gal for 15 years and LOVE it) so that would be a HUGE transition and personal trainer accomplishment would leave me very limited for hours with clients. So I'm kind at a crossroads. I don't want to burn the candle at both ends nor do I want to pass up a great opportunity to further learning in current occupation. hubby is very supportive no matter what I decide, but it's a tough one for sure!

On the lighter side, I have no plans to compete in figure anymore. Too expensive and I just cannot find the time to dedicate. I am however embarking back on triathlon journey and plan on doing three this summer. Began training earlier this week and focusing hard on the swim portion as that is weakest link. I have talked 15 year old son into joining me and it will be a great experience for us both. Although he will kick butt when it comes to the swim part. He's been on the swim team for about 6 years now and already outswims his mother in all strokes! I may be able to catch up to him in the bike and run part :D

Hoping you are all doing well and would love to hear from each and every one of friends! Good health and well wishes to you all!
Michele!!! Hey girlfriend!! I was JUST thinking about you the other day! Thank you so much for the update! Its great to hear from ya! You've definitely been missed!!! :mrgreen:

I think doing the triathalon thing is a great idea. Especially since your son can join you.

Work sounds like a real drag! I sure hope it works out for you in the end!

*HUGS!*

Cassie

PS: Did you get your posing suit back? I mailed it months ago. :) Hope you got it!
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Hey Cassie!

Sorry about not replying back when I got the suit. Yes, I did receive it and thanks so much for sending it back to me. You're looking awesome as always. A true inspiration to us all! I have missed talking to you immensly :D
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

YAY.... SHE IS BACK!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Welcome back pretty lady!

I agree... Jobs nowaday is crazy and they tend to overwork people.
But we just need to do what we gotta do to make a living.
However... at lease outside of work... You can enjoy your life better.
Having a triathlon with your son sounds awesome...
I wish you the best and you are such a great and positive person.
Someone like me always look up to you.

Nokie :D
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Thanks Nokie! You are a sweetheart :D So glad to be back with all Shapefit friends and looking forward to catching up with all of you! Thanks for kicking butt in gear to reconnect with you all :wink:
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Boopster wrote:Hey Cassie!

Sorry about not replying back when I got the suit. Yes, I did receive it and thanks so much for sending it back to me. You're looking awesome as always. A true inspiration to us all! I have missed talking to you immensly :D
LOL! I'm sorry for not emailing you when I mailed it off! I meant to shoot you an email then totally spaced it!

Thanks for the compliment. :) I've missed you too Michele! YOU friend, are the inspirational one! I would never have competed if i hadn't seen your pictures on this site and had your help and support to get started!
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Awwww shucks :wink: You're too kind Cassie :D
sandigirl06
HIGH FLYER

Post by sandigirl06 »

Hi, Boopster. Sooooo glad you are back! I am still around and training. You were the first person who replied to me when I got here in June. Your words were so kind and encouraging and I will never forget that. Good luck in whatever you chose to do in your career and also your triathalon training!!! You will be awesome. How wonderful that your son is doing it with you! Such a spectacular role model you are!!!! Please keep us posted on your journey.

Sandi
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Thanks for you kind words Sandi! Glad you are still on the site and training. Looking forward to reconnecting with all friends. Keep up the great work :D
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Boopster wrote:I am however embarking back on triathlon journey and plan on doing three this summer. Began training earlier this week and focusing hard on the swim portion as that is weakest link.
Hi Michele! Good to see you back around these parts. :D What distance triathlon are you training for? I haven't done one in 2 years and really miss it. There are some in the spring I might think about doing, just a Sprint distance is all I'm looking into for the time being, it's so hard to find enough time to devote to training for 3 sports. I'm like you...the swim part is hardest challenge, especially the open water swims. I have to train in a 25M pool, swimming laps and while that is great, it does not prepare you for the experience of an open salt water bay swim! (learned the hard way!!) :shock: What kind of bike do you have? Do you wear clip bike racing shoes, or just use the straps? Sorry for all the questions...I love talking "tri", LOL! Good luck with your training, and I think it is awesome that you AND your son will be doing this together - that is way cool. :D
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Hey Lynn! I don't mind the questions at all;) I too am only competeing in sprints this summer. Like you, I am training in an 25yard pool and as I discovered 3 years ago, swimming in open water is quite different than pool water. Contending with waves, water temperature, and other competitors swimming around you can be quite a challenge. Plus, I have tried bilateral breathing and I'm not very good at it, but still attempting. Believe it or not, I don't have a super-duper cycling bike. I use old 10 speed I got when I was 15 years old...so no clips for shoes. I have had the frames balanced and tubes replaced numerous times along with a couple brake jobs. I'm trying to find a good used tri bike on ebay but I always get outbid :D I have a friend who cycles quite regularly and he has suggested some decent tri bikes for me, but I just cannot invest the money right now. So old bike will have to do :D Good luck with your training and all your endeavors! Please keep me posted on your progress :wink:
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

You can get pedal straps that fit onto standard bike pedals that will help you alot. Since you will be able to "push & pull" with every bike stroke, instead of only pushing in the downward stroke. It really adds alot of speed. These are what I used before I got the toe clips and bike shoes. And for triathlons it works wells because you will already be wearing your running shoes, so just jump off the bike and start running, instead of having to change shoes. I bought bike used at a bike shop about 10 years ago, and it was 20 years old then! lol! But she is a fast old girl (kinda like her owner :lol: ) - 18 speed Miyata. She can't keep up with the newer tri bikes, but that's okay, we still fly down the road and have fun. :D
It takes a while to get the bilateral breathing down, just practice proper form and remember to breathe all the air out while head is still down, before you rotate up. Then turn your head, don't lift it up out of the water, and get a good breath. I don't always switch sides on the breathing, I do better breathing from left side. I just try to count 3 strokes and on the 3 stroke let out air, then roll up and get a breath, then head back down, and repeat. And on race day, it really doesn't matter, you know, with everything that is going on and all the wave action in the water...whatever works for you is best! I've had people nearly swim over the top of me 'cause I got in their way! I've been elbowed, kicked in the head...you name it :shock: Makes ya wonder why I love doing these so much!! lol!
Good luck with everything! I'm training for a 1/2 marathon right now for April, so any tri's will have to be after that.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Hi Boopster, nice to see you back on here. I'm M&M....oooop I mean ironwill. Nice to meet you....... :D
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Thanks so much Lynn! I really appreciate the advice..I'll have to check them out for sure. Marathon??? That is freakin' awesome! I wish I had the to devote to train for that. Too much on plate now but you never know :D I'm practicing the whole bilateral breathing thing. The last time I did tri, I attempted it and the waves were so bad I ended up swallowing half of Lake Erie. It's a wonder I didn't have some stomach bug after. And that's true, once you get all those people in the water with you....the experince makes for a quite a different one versus swmming alone in the water. Thank you very much for all your advice as I do appreciate it.

M&M :D Thanks for the welcome. It sure is great to be back on such an awesome site :wink: I really missed chatting with you all. You guys ROCK!