Is anyone excited about the Olympics?

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ironwill
VETERAN

Is anyone excited about the Olympics?

Post by ironwill »

I totally get into the Winter games, its one of the few times I will take to sit down and watch TV. Anyone else like them, or am I just weird?
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Is anyone excited about the Olympics?

Post by fitoverforty »

Downhill skiing baby!! love it! Bobsled, Luge, short track speed skating (love Apollo Ono :D ) I love it all! :D
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Lesplease wrote: first grade teacher was a speed skater. She trained with Bonnie Blaire. I'm friend with her daughter and we found a postcard addressed to her from Bonnie (from Norway, I think). That's how we both found out about it.

Also, did anyone hear about that death on the luge runs? So so sad. I heard another luger talking about it, saying it could have been prevented if they'd made the safety changes recommended by the Olympic committee last year ):
Yes, I was reading about it, I guess the track is incredibly fast, like 90+ mph. Apparently there have been safety concerns right along. They said there have been several crashes, and some competitors are having trouble just making it to the bottom. Really sad.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

YAY ... Apollo Ono (Winter)
YAY... Michael Phelps (Summer)
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Lesplease wrote:Well I guess last year the committee said that the wooden support beams needed to be extended to keep people from flying off the track like that. Coming off your sled is one thing, but god, did you see the video? I walked in and saw Diane Sawyer saying "....disturbing images" then a cut to that clip. I really thought ti was going to be something about the Alabama shooting or the strike in Afghanistan. I really didn't see that coming.

He died an Olympian, and surely doing what he loved.
I didn't see the clip, but heard it was quite horrific. They must know the danger, and probably that is part of the thrill of doing it, but I hope they will do everything possible to at least keep them on the track if they come off the sled. Thought it was odd, one of the other competitors said the track was boring, now that they moved the starting line down. 90+ mph laying on your back on a runner sled......wow.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Nokie173 wrote:YAY ... Apollo Ono (Winter)
YAY... Michael Phelps (Summer)
What a wild race with the two Korean's taking themselves out at the end.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Yeah, I actually felt bad for those guys, but that's the nature of fast track skating, it ain't over 'til it's over!!
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Seth Wescott......you go boyyyyyyy!

Doin' us Mainah's proud, and havin' fun while your at it.