Question on workout

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mail2kanika
STARTING OUT

Question on workout

Post by mail2kanika »

I have often heard people saying that you should change your workout routine at a regular interval else your body stops responding or the weight loss process becomes lower.

I just wanted to understand how that happens... if ts true. If I am still doing the same excercise then it should burn the same amount of calories and should help in weight loss. How does change in exercise helps?
cassiegose
VETERAN

Re: Question on workout

Post by cassiegose »

The body has an amazing ability to adapt to what you're doing. When you first start working out a simple exercise plan can be quite challenging. However as you continue to do the plan it will get easier over time as your body adapts to the program. Also, when you first start doing a program the body actually has to work harder to do the program than it will after performing the same program over the course of a few month. This is why it is important to change the plan over time to keep your body from adapting. Same thing goes with weight lifting (which for some reason many have a hard time understanding). So often I see people come to the gym, grab the same weight that they were using last week, and the week before, and the month before, and the year before. They grab that weight because its comfortable for them and they start performing the same lifts that they've been doing for the past week, month, and year. Then they complain because they aren't seeing results. Well of course they aren't seeing results! They aren't challenging their body or forcing themselves to work any harder than they are accustomed to working. If you don't challenge your muscles to grow they will have no reason to do so. You must change your plan to continue seeing results.

Hope this makes sense. brain is a bit jumbled today. Ask questions if you have any. :)

Cassie
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

A workout schedule is fine for as long as it works.

Increasing weight to stimulate improvement you want, is important, but if the programme layout / setup is continuing to work, when you kepe increasing the weight then you shouldn't need ot alter the structure unless you want to.

So basically increase weight when appropriate, but change the schedule when you feel you want to, as don't forget, sometime a new programme can turn out to be wrong choice, depending on what you start doing.
mail2kanika
STARTING OUT

Post by mail2kanika »

Thanks for the response!!

However, how do you know that it is the right or wrong program. I have been working out for last 4 -5 months and really the net loss in 3.5 kgs and some inches. I am not really demotivated at this point and I like what I do at the gym..

I do 30 minutes cardio every day to start with which is usually elliptical with varying resistance and each alternate day I do upper body weights and lower body weight for 30 minutes followed by abs.... and I really like doing it...

Increasing weight every week makes a lot of sense but is there anything else that I can do?