Bruising

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Bruising

Post by feelin-great »

I have noticed over the last week that I am getting a lot of bruises on legs. I don't recall bumping into things or anything like that (although I am not the most graceful so I can't rule that out completely :mrgreen: ). I have been eating healthy for several weeks now but I am wondering if it might be a specific nutrient that I am not getting enough of. Does anybody know what may be causing this?
feelin-great
VETERAN

Re: Bruising

Post by feelin-great »

amatlack wrote:I bruise like a peach. I have no idea what causes it...but most of health issues seem to revolve around circulation problems, so that might be it for me.
I wondered about that. I also notice that right foot goes numb when I do cardio. It even happens when I am walking outside. I am planning to get a new pair of shoes so hopefully that will help with the numb foot, but not sure about the bruising. I hope it doesn't continue because I am going on vacation in 6 1/2 weeks and I will be wearing shorts - EEK!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I think biggest concern is that I have never been one to bruise easily so I am not sure why that has changed.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

amatlack wrote:Just getting older? :wink:
LOL! Quite possible :shock:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Lesplease wrote:I've honestly had people ask me if boyfriend beats me...
When sister had her jaw surgery her whole face/neck was swollen and bruised - her husband wouldn't go in public with her because people looked at him like he was scum (well, he really is, but that's another story and he wasn't hitting her, and they are divorced now!).
tcrisp
STARTING OUT

Post by tcrisp »

I have been researching this lately myself and all I have come up with is low iron levels.

I'm having a similar problem with bruising. Small bruises have began popping up on biceps when I work out, but I don't use equipment that requires pressure against body so I know it's not from pushing or rubbing. Any ideas why biceps would have small, dime size bruises on them? Would it just be from the bruising of the muscle itself showing through the skin?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If the Bruises are reddish or purple and appear raised and possibly shiny, as opposed to flat, then they could be Keloid Scars.

Keloids usually occur from things like blunt trauma, burns, possibly injuries of other kinds, and they can get progressively larger.

Initially when small, minor surgery or some kind of lasering may correct them, but if they get too big, thery could be difficult to remove, because their may be inadequate skin leftover, to seal the gap, so you'd be stuck with them.

Assuming they're basic flat look bruises, then you might be getting an iron issue in which case increase Iron content.

The best things for that are sources like Liver and Red Meat, although if you're vegetarian or only like to consume Fish, Poultry or low amounts of Red Meat, then try things like increasing Whole-grain to some extent, it's the best source of non-heam, the less absorbed kind, as opposed to Flesh Iron, (Heam).

Also you can boost Iron with Amino Acids, which Flesh contains a lot of and also Vitamin C and Capsicum, so increase C from things like Tomatos, Broccoli, Potatos, Oranges etc etc.

Don't drink Tea of Coffee, as Caffeine and Tannic Acid block Iron to some extent.

You can also increase things like Shellfish, Beans, Liver, Mushrooms, etc etc as the Copper content can help with utilisation and storage of Iron, though too much can have an opposing effect somewhat, so don't eat things like that, as if they're in danger of being wiped out :wink: