The Halo Effect

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

The Halo Effect

Post by Boss Man »

Yes the halo effect and obviously some of you are wondering what this is? Is it something to do with people in prisons, trying to get early release, by claiming to find God when they haven't?

Maybe it's the way being Godly makes you look to others?

Sadly no.

However if you like producing high Fat food, that you can promote at sports events, you are taking advantage of the halo effect.

People do it, but why are they being allowed?

Well I guess that if you are that rich, you can to some extent buy your way into a promised land. An arena full of often very healthy, high profile people. Yes some sportspeople have a few indulgences that others don't, but most are representative, of what many ordinary people wish they might like to be like, if there was such a thing as magic.

However what happens if you're favourite star wears a shirt with a beer name on it, or the name of a fried chicken company? Will you be more likely to consume the products? After all a lean, honed individual, looks like they might eat or drink an edible product, if they wear the name, so surely they could burn it all off with plenty of running and sport.

The naswer is yes they may well, but many people watching may not if they have mild or non-existant exercise regimes.

Around November of last year, I discovered that the Olympics in 2012, already has official sponsors. No it's not a yoghurt company and a fruit juice drink manufacturer, it is in fact Coca Cola and McDonalds. That's right, a sugary drink producer and a fast food company.

The Olympics is big business, but surely you can't expect people like Tyson Gay and Yelena Isinbayeva, to be drinking Sugary drinks like Coke and consuming Quarter Pounders can you?

Well apart from the very rare occasion with some Olympians, it's safe to say no, but the fact these names and brands, might be in the face of the watcher and television viewer, may go a long way to subliminally influencing some people, into increased spending on such things.

Another example is the England Football, (soccer), team, being mentioned in an advertisement for Mars Bars. Mars supposedly "a proud supplier to the England team". So does that mean any of the players eat what they presumably get given?

Not many people may know, because presumably it would be bad publicity if it slipped out, that some of them hate the taste and most if not all the rest throw their freebees away, assuming that was the case.

This halo effect is therefore starting to look like a very shrewd idea and for big companies it could really help with market saturation. Some would argue some of the other "healthier" companies couldn't afford it, but in fairness, many of those companies have televisual marketing, not just written media, but as ever it almost would certainly come down to the money side.

You are a company selling lots of fast food and sugary drinks, compared to a company that just makes a Juice drink and nothing else. I think we all know who would have the more money, to buy available sponsorships and advertising rights in big sport, even with televisual budgets being available to healthy companies.

This effect is surely then one of the best things, if not the best thing, for companies with dubious reputations, but should there be legislation prohibiting or limiting it?

Would that be seen as unfair sensorship? Some countries like Britain no longer permit junk advertising before 7PM, so it's not a complete ban on such things, but would companies that make better products, be more inclined to want to promote at big sports venues and occasions, if companies like beer, confectionary and fast food companies, were not permitted? Is it their responsibility to do that? Arguably not, or could they really not afford the monetary sums necessary, assuming most of their advertising budgets went on televisual marketing?

Whatever the state of play for all food and drink manufacturers, one thing seems clear to me. The halo effect is everywhere and aware or not, you might still be subliminally influenced by such things. You just may not necessarily be aware of it.
Fygle
REGULAR

Re: The Halo Effect

Post by Fygle »

Perfect example right here :wink: Being a Liverpool fan I can't be mad at this, though!
Boss Man wrote:Some countries like Britain no longer permit junk advertising before 7PM, so it's not a complete ban on such things, but would companies that make better products, be more inclined to want to promote at big sports venues and occasions, if companies like beer, confectionary and fast food companies, were not permitted?
I'm curious, where is the line drawn between what's crap or not? Sound like tricky business.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

that's a great idea not permitting junk food to be advertised before 7pm. I don't think they would do that here in the states. I don't think we would have enough advertisements to cover the programming without junk advertising. :)

I never thought that about the olympics advertising stuff probably most of their athletes don't touch but your right its true. money talks. good or bad unfortunately its the truth.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes it would seem money can talk, but then it's been known for years. There's no doubt some people over the centuries, with some power, have been corrupt .

Fygle, junk is usually considered things like fast food, fizzy drinks and confectionary. Maybe a few other things that can't generally be called any of those, but those are the main targets for junk advertisement limiting in Britain.

Good example about Torres, but then even assuming people like him, consumed said beverage, as long as he's not doing it in a way that causes him to lose fitness, or put on a few lbs, which affects his stamina and / or speed, or he ends up missing training or having poor training sessions, due to after effects of drinking, then realistically it's not a problem for people like him or the clubs they play for.

The only other issue, is if the player than gets involved in boozy antics in clubs or pubs, that get bad publicity or press, like supposedly groping females, or fighting etc etc.

In which case it's then up to the public to decide, if the persons actions warrent distain, or can be morally ignored***.

In this climate, such sports people shouldn't really be acting like they did in the 1970's, with questionable diet choices and lifestyle habits, but though some do it sometimes, the questions remain.

A: Does it affect their private life?

B: Does it affect the proffessional life?

If the answer is no, then refer back to ***.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

I went to a mcdonalds on a long trip so the kids could use the bathroom. As we returned to the car youngest spotted the olympic rings on the sign and remarked about how the olympic athletes don't eat that crap or they wouldn't be in the olympics.

~Patty
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It depends though if you believe that Bolt ate Mcnuggets on the world record day :wink: