Have you ever cut down your 'life' to concentrate on sport?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Have you ever cut down your 'life' to concentrate on sport?

Post by Sammel85 »

I'm wanting to know if anyone has ever taken a chance to achieve their sporting dreams?
I'm taking a huge risk in 2011 and I'm wondering if anyone has done it, did you succeed or not, and any advice?

I originally intended to reduce working hours in 2010 to concentrate on karate. I believed it was year to succeed. I was going for black belt (non-contact style) and wanted to concentrate heavily on getting 2nd kyu brown also (contact style). On top of this, I found a passion for competitions and was going to work hard on improving fighting skills to do better.

Well I succeeded in making Nationals (which I didn't attend due to financial difficulties and lack of faith in abilities from listening to some people I shouldn't have), but probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere due to the crap year I've had.
I feel I'm still suffering from last years glandular fever, iron levels have been anemic and I've suffered with depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress early on due to stress and the death of dog. To top it all off, have been worked to the ground in a new job I had to take, which was an hour and ten minute commute each way, in a place where I was not appreciated. To put simply, nothing went right. It all began when I found a part time job I would've been fantastic at, but they screwed me over by giving me the least amount of hours of all the new recruits (even though I was the most qualified) - nothing that I could support myself with. I had to tell them I couldn't work for them, then couldn't find anything close to home.

At this current point in time, I'm trying it again. I've quit extremely stressful job, putting hopes in finding a part time position in a gym after I finish qualifications and have the loving support of boyfriend. Even though working future is uncertain, I feel a huge relief in knowing I will never have to return to that job. Even boyfriend has noticed the difference in attitude, energy levels, happiness and fitness/karate commitment.

I will be concentrating on starting up own dojo in February, working towards Nationals again and getting that 2nd kyu brown belt I've had to put off for almost 3 years in a style that I've been a part of since 1997. I'm hoping to compete in contact and non-contact competitions, but I don't have a trainer. The contact style - where I live now - does not compete, so I can't ask for any competitive help. The non-contact style - 2hrs drive away where I used to work until end of last year - does focus a lot on competitions, but the instructors are too far away to see regularly. So it's all up to me and me alone to train myself (on top of formal training), at the moment. I really hope that I can do this, and in comparison to this time last year, I have a lot more knowledge, encouragement and determination to succeed.

If you are one of those that has put things on hold for your sport, can you tell me about it? What you did, how you went, did you succeed or not, tips on training and so forth. It would be great to hear from those of you who have experienced this.
Kenner82
STARTING OUT

Re: Have you ever cut down your 'life' to concentrate on sport?

Post by Kenner82 »

yes, but unless you plan on it as a profession, you shouldn't cut down to much of your life. If you compete for the sport of it, you are fulfilling your competitive side and everything is good. Just don't sacrifice too much and you'll be good as far as I can tell..

Think if you got injured, would you have a back-up plan? When I got seriously injured I had dedicated all time, job, etc into hockey, and all time went to training. When I could no longer play or train for a extended period, I felt like I had to start with a new life because daily routine had been for sport. Sport should be a perk of life, not life itself.