Looking for some general tips.

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Denis
STARTING OUT

Looking for some general tips.

Post by Denis »

Hello to all people in here.

As you may see I am a new guy and I am looking for some tips.I'm a 16 old ,about 173 cm(5 feet and 8 inches) and around 60 KG(this can differ because I didn't calculate weigh in a long time).Got a great vital body,almost no fat at all,with great lines.I play as a point/shooting guard for 4 years now and I really like basketball.But,I am looking for some tips to help me basketball play but more for body.

I'll start with fitness training.As most of the men,I like to have a good body.I got a good six pack when I flex it and good chest,all of this from a guy who never hit the gym.I am looking to get a standard six pack and wider shoulders,so I was wondering if I should take it to the gym.The only thing that is stopping me is that,I am afraid that weight training will stop height growing(173 cm is not that much).

Second,is jump.Playing as a point/shooting guard has made me focus more on passing,dribling and shooting.About 2 years ago,I started trying to shoot with a jump shot,and I've made great progress and got an amazing jump shot.But,the most I can jump is touch the basket ring(3.05 cm if I am right).Is this good enough and I should focus on something else,or improve jump ?

Thanks for w/e your answer is. ^^
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Looking for some general tips.

Post by Boss Man »

You can go to the gym yes, but if you're concerned about issues using weight, you'll have to start light anyway to get accustomed to weights, but you could always after that, train with around 80% of max lifts, not 95%, to get some growth but not to work close to failure and do that for 6-12 months then step it up to lifts more like 90-95% max for reps.

You'll have years to lift big, relative to size, if you want to in the future, so no need to suddenly go almost to failure for reps afer the adjustment period and increase injury risk, if you don't want to, because going heavy enough will stimulate growth.

You could still be using the time to get some development, improve your understanding of training options and get a good understanding of proper form anyway.
dahulkinator
STARTING OUT

Post by dahulkinator »

To put on big muscles you'll need to weight train. But never underestimate the importance of cardiovascular fitness. Your aerobic and core body fitness are just as if not more important than bulking up.

It also takes a lot of time for your body to start adapting to your workouts and for you to start seeing results. So take it easy (not too easy, still go hard) and be consistent.

This blog may have some useful posts: http://fiending-fitness.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Halfway down it has some info about a jumping program
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

Weight training will not stunt your growth. In fact, I read a long time ago that it can help kids grow taller by having a positive effect on their growth plates.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

However weight lifting can affect the condition of growth plates in the young, that's why it's best not to lift weights until you're 16, or at least use minimal amounts from the age of about 13-15 and increase in very small increments and don't go over about 50%-60% of what the muscles can actually handle, which is easier said than done when the individual doesn't know what that is.

It comes down to what the skeleton can tolerate in young teens, more so than the muscles, as the skeleton is not properly formed until around 17 years of age.