The best time for a child to start exercising

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Jax_Briggs
STARTING OUT

The best time for a child to start exercising

Post by Jax_Briggs »

I have a boy 2 years old. I was wondering what the best age is for him to start exercising. I teach him how to stretch and relax but I don't know when to start weight lifting.
blairxeim
STARTING OUT

Re: The best time for a child to start exercising

Post by blairxeim »

Jax_Briggs wrote:I have a boy 2 years old. I was wondering what the best age is for him to start exercising. I teach him how to stretch and relax but I don't know when to start weight lifting.
maybe not until they're 14 or 15. As the bones are still developing and you run the risk of the bones weakening. But teaching him good nutrition early on could help him, maybe around 6-9. And you can have him join sports teams when he starts school. but for little kids, maybe combining exercising with playing to make it fun and enjoyable, rather than a pain. Like chores. (at least that's how I always looked at it) Hoped this helped. :)
frednick
STARTING OUT

Post by frednick »

The most important thing may be teaching him how to live an active lifestyle. Weight lifting at an early age is not a good idea for the simple reason that his body and bones are still growing. IF he has a real interest in weight lifting when he gets into his early teens then maybe then. If you're wanting to help him with his strength then try push ups, pull ups, and maybe sports like wrestling, martial arts, dance, or gymnastics. All of these sports develop overall body strength and control of the body
bennyb84
STARTING OUT

Post by bennyb84 »

A mentor of mine started his son when he was 18 months old. Most really start in pre-teens (10 through 12) but when it comes to exercise I have felt Animal Exercise is a great start to give a child a program. Instead of just going through the motions, learn to be that animal and don't look it as a workout, look at it as play, this mindset teaches the body to help give it a boost in positive energy. This type of training helps children get that hyperness out of their system and helps build muscle and help generate natural growth hormone which can speed the process of how much the hormone levels go through at this age anyway. Disguise it as play like playing tag or racing.

http://powerandmight.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

For youngsters I like the medicine ball. It is energetic and it is fun. I think you can start as soon as they have the motor skills.

Start by teaching them to "pass" a basket ball. After they are good at that (and can reliably catch the ball) move up to a light weight medicine ball. The kids like trying to knock each other over with the ball and it can be a very vigorous exercise. The risk is a ball hitting the face--so approach this slowly. It can work the shoulders, biceps, and triceps depending upon the nature of the toss (overhand, underhand, straight thrust).

Frisbee, and ball toss games are good exercise and can be done as soon as they are interested.

Until the joints are fully developed I think weight lifting should be to a minimum. This is repeating something I've heard over the years. I don't think there is any science to back this up. But in the absence of science to say it is safe, I repeat the caution.

I think running (in play situations, not road running) and sit ups are fine.

I think some lifting exercises do not stress the joints and I think they can be performed at a younger age (in moderation). Pull downs, rows, curls, upright rows all seem like exercises that would not stress the joints (specifically damage the cartilage). But again, no science on either side of the board.

But favorite is any non-contact sports. (Basketball is categorization, a contact sport).
fiona18
STARTING OUT

Post by fiona18 »

3 yr old likes to join in with wii fit and also just dance!
sexyme1217
STARTING OUT

Post by sexyme1217 »

Once a baby turns 5 months old, some parents enrolls their child into swimming lessons for some says that aside from it strengthens their stamina it can also prevent asthma.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

When is the best time for a child to start exercising? Right out of the womb! :wink:
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Exercising for any child is play. The more you get your children outside to walk, run around chasing a soccer ball, swimming, tree climbing, bicycle, tricycle, scooter, skate board, hockey.............. be a kid with them and you will benefit from it! Let them learn to walk or run to the farther bus stop if the bus isn't there, then again.... take stairs instead of the lazy ride things. The more you teach them to use their body in everyday activities, to turn off the tv and go outside, to take a swimming class or a martial art... the more apt the child will grow up healthier and stronger and stay that way. Also, teach them diet, let them know, pop... Yuck, bad for you. Water.... good for you... No sweety, we drink water and milk, but we eat our fruits and vegies! 1 hamburger is enough, even for a grown man. ETC. Lead by example and they will teach others! Sorry for rambling.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

vamp wrote:Exercising for any child is play. The more you get your children outside to walk, run around chasing a soccer ball, swimming, tree climbing, bicycle, tricycle, scooter, skate board, hockey.............. be a kid with them and you will benefit from it! Let them learn to walk or run to the farther bus stop if the bus isn't there, then again.... take stairs instead of the lazy ride things. The more you teach them to use their body in everyday activities, to turn off the tv and go outside, to take a swimming class or a martial art... the more apt the child will grow up healthier and stronger and stay that way. Also, teach them diet, let them know, pop... Yuck, bad for you. Water.... good for you... No sweety, we drink water and milk, but we eat our fruits and vegies! 1 hamburger is enough, even for a grown man. ETC. Lead by example and they will teach others! Sorry for rambling.

Great advice^

I have seen to many parents take short cut's with their children due to their own laziness, which usually equals lazy kid's.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Alinshop wrote:Great advice^

I have seen to many parents take short cut's with their children due to their own laziness, which usually equals lazy kid's.

Thanks, and those short cuts are something wife and I have issues with.... especially when it comes to the daughter... She is the lazier one of the two of us.... It is something daughter at nine is already learning and it shows. I am trying to teach good food and amounts and also to get up and do instead of lounge instead of pushing "your getting fat" at her.... nine is far from the age to do that to a little girl... right now I teach and hope she learns over the next few years so she doesn't become larger. But I do it delicately to avoid eating disorders rather than play it harsh and demanding.
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

There is no need to get their daily target.They can do only 10 minute exercise throughout the day.They can play games like riding bikes.Walking is a easy for children.Dancing is a very good for fitness.And cycling is a great........