Air Force Academy; long term fitness

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

discoking989
STARTING OUT

Air Force Academy; long term fitness

Post by discoking989 »

Hey, I have pretty much decided what I want to do with life and where I want to go and stuff.

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 125lbs

There are some (to me) very hard fitness requirements for the Air Force academy, and I desperately want to go there. Thing is, I'm out of shape. I never WAS in shape. I came here for a bit of help relating to get to a high fitness level all around by the time I'm an junior/senior in high school.

Right now best is an 8:00 mile and I have little to no upper body strength.

The average test scores for the Academy:

61 pushups 18 pull ups 81 crunches throw a basketball about 60ft 6:30 mile 8:30 mile and a half Good at 5+ mile runs General fitness for swimming and things like boxing

I need to achieve these goals within the next few years, but I would like to surpass them if possible.

Am II too young to start getting ready for this?

Other things: I'm a powerful cyclist the fitness needs to be maintained for 4 years throughout the academy

So, any help, advice, goals, tips, or anything? I play no sports but plan to join the marching band next year when I become a freshman.

EDIT: Sorry for ugly formatting, I didn't expect it to act up this way.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Air Force Academy; long term fitness

Post by Boss Man »

It's okay, there's really no need to apologise for anything :).

You could incorporate something like this into you weekly schedule for strength purposes, which would be done 3x a week, every other day.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

This is bodyweighted because I don't think lifting weights at your age is necessarily a good thing.

You could then incorporate fitness stuff in and around it. I would reccommend not doing more than 5 days a week or exercise and certainly not more than 6, as you do need rest days.