stronglifts 5x5 with 20-30 min. cardio and ab training?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

xxwolfxxkiller
STARTING OUT

stronglifts 5x5 with 20-30 min. cardio and ab training?

Post by xxwolfxxkiller »

I am in moderately good shape in opinion for age but and there is a layer of fat covering abs though would this be enough to help me lower body fat % and gain muscle??
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: stronglifts 5x5 with 20-30 min. cardio and ab training?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Austin good to talk with you.

Most people can build muscle and burn fat if they use safe and beneficial lifting techniques and healthy, beneficial eating patterns, so I'm not entirely sure about the nature of your comments, do you think being in decent shape prohibits what you're asking about, or do you think your body type makes it difficult to do what you're asking about?
xxwolfxxkiller
STARTING OUT

Post by xxwolfxxkiller »

To get ripped for summer
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well the diet would be a primary focus for change, so what times do you eat and what foods do you eat at those times?
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Diet being the most important I just wanted to add a small comment...

Ab work will not be required for the Stronglifts 5x5 program as your abs will be utilized by the compound lifts in the program if you are doing the lifts properly.

Also, do the cardio on the off days of the weight days as the Stronglifts program hits the nervous system hard, especially as you climb in your weight capabilities, adding cardio on top of that is probably overdoing it. Remember, with these compound lifts, form is everything to avoiding injury. Pay attention and if the lifts feel or look off, get a trainer to help you. Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bench Press and Bent Row are all lifts that can cause damage if not done properly. This program is designed to add strength and power and although this will also mean muscle growth, it is not specifically a body builder program. Remember, Strength and Power do not always relate to size or shape. Most power lifters carry more fat % than body builders but most body builders started as strength and power lifters, even Arnold!

Best wishes