Situation. need help on plan.

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

music135
STARTING OUT

Situation. need help on plan.

Post by music135 »

Ok So i'm a 15 year old .
149 lbs about 5'10"
I want to lose weight and gain muscle. But have some dates to work around.

I'm a big kid. Slightly insecure around people. Totally comfortable around guy friends and close family. a little extra pudge in chest, tummy, and thighs. Average tall height for grade. But I have alot of fat on me. I'd like to get rid of that. I would say I have a decent amount of strength, I work a few times a week and that involves lifting and being on your feet, but nothing extremely uncomfortable. I've done several, month stints of recording food on an app that records steps and sleep and what not. That really opens your eyes to see how you're eating and what you're putting in your body. No great results probably because I didn't have any goals or deadlines, and I get bored.

I would say I get casual exercise, I go skiing a couple times a week, walk back and forth the 2 miles to school everyday, play backyard football or catch daily when it warms up, golf 4-5 times a week, bike consistently in spring/ summer, hours of marching band in warm months, swimming, blah blah blah. So it's not like I sit on all day. but I find self doing it a little to often in the winter. Money's a little tight around here so no gym, bet we have dumbbells and other stuff around the house. school schedule is packed with music and language, I don't have time for gym right now so I have to put it off. Last year in gym I struggled a lot with cardio; running, and endurance suck. I have some strength under all flub, but nothing worth bragging about. I can do 30 pushups before I give out. Can't run more than 2 laps around .25 mi track to save life.

I played sports all through elementary and start of middle school. I didn't accel at much of anything and parents are the kind of people that want me to try as much as possible, which I totally got and enjoyed having options. Thing is I didn't thoroughly love and enjoy sports, combo of slight un-athleticism and dick coaches that shouldn't have been allowed to be around 10 year olds may have been reasons.

Golf starts in a month, I'm a freshman, first time on the team. I'm a soso golfer, win against friends most of time, play quite a bit, but don't know what to expect at practices or on the team.

ANYWAY. I'd like to get fit. like being able to run. Not extra passionate about it but man would it be nice. Timeframe: either as much as what ever is healthy in a month before golf, or long term like 6 months.
I'm looking for a plan. Maybe limit myself to certain amount of calories, certain amount of excursis per day or week. really don't know... other sites recommend just eating less and moving more, I need something a little more goal oriented and i want some help. Maybe making a graph and graph each day's weight, excersise, and calories. I'm a numbers guy so if that's something beneficial I might try that.

Thanks for reading all this, Really only looking for positive criticism but if you have comments let's hear em. Any help or encouragement would be great.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Situation. need help on plan.

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Jack, good to speak to you.

Firstly, do you have access to as gym, or do you want to train mostly at home?

Also, what times do you eat and what foods do you eat at those times?
music135
STARTING OUT

Post by music135 »

Hey thanks for the reply
No, I don't have access to a gym so home primarily.

I eat 4-5 times a day.
Breakfast is usually toast, cereal, egg, or english muffin, and coffee.
Lunch at school typically pizza milk and a fruit
Afterschool will be pretzels, crackers, banana or a bowl of cereal.
Dinner is a bigger meal varies.
Late night, popsicle or more cereal.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

music135 wrote:
Breakfast is usually toast, cereal, egg, or english muffin, and coffee.

(Eggs on toast is a good one or eggs and cereal so you'll be fine with that)

Lunch at school typically pizza milk and a fruit

(Milk and fruit is okay, but you'd be better with something than pizza, so if there's a combination of healthy meat and carbohydrate sources you can have instead, that would work better, but I suspect there isn't, so if not you might have to bring your own lunch, assuming the school permits it.)

Afterschool will be pretzels, crackers, banana or a bowl of cereal.

(The banana would be fine, but you could add a bit of ham or chicken in there as well for example.)

Dinner is a bigger meal varies.

(That's fine)

Late night, popsicle or more cereal.

(I'd stick with the cereal)
music135
STARTING OUT

Post by music135 »

Did you have any routines or specific ideas to build muscle
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, I can give you a fairly standard routine to do at home.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets 10 reps

Vertical flyes, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks 30-45 seconds

You would do this 3x a week every other day and it requires no use of artificial weight whatsoever.

If you need to ask anything about that then fire away.