Teenager looking for some guidance

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Tonyp
STARTING OUT

Teenager looking for some guidance

Post by Tonyp »

hey, im a 16 year old boy that has been starting to work on more of his body then just his arms. Im 5'10 1/2 and weigh about 143. I used to be overweight as a child but began to work it off. Im now in good pretty good shape, but i still have a little chub left lol. Ive been lifting for arms for a while now and I need to start getting whole body inshape. I wanted some help as to if im eating right, and working out. I want to get body into good-great shape. Nothing insane lol.
meals are so:

9:00 wake up, eat strawberry oatmeal, A piece of fruit, and yoghurt.

10:30 piece of fruit

12:30am tunafish sandwich, and some vegatables

somewhere between 1-5pm I work out, then eat peanuts right after

5-7 I eat diiner. Usally is meat like chicken or steak with a potatoe

8-9 Usally have a little veggies if im still hungry, or some nuts

Is this a good diet to try and bulk up on and stay healthy?

for working out i dont have a gym membership, but i have a bench and weights ect.. only problem is that I need to get more weights for the lower half workouts :(

workout schedule is

Mon: Pecs And triceps
Incline bench
Bench fly
pushups
pullovers
dips

Teusday: Hams, quads, calfs
Squats
lunges
leg extiensions
calf raises

This is were i run into trouble, i have to do high reps with the weights cause their not that heavy ne more. I was wondering if i could do hill training this day for a half hour to work on these muscles?

Wensday: Biceps, Forearms, and some back
Preacher curls
Bent over rows
Standing curl
Pull ups
and wrist extensions

Thursday is abs workout, even though i still have fat on abs where i can feel them but cant see :((
Crunches, tons of mixed

Friday: Cardio
Jump rope 30 minutes

Sat: rest

SUnday: rest

Is this a good work out plan? ive just recently started it, so i am looking for advice and is willing to change. SHould sat and sunday be rest days? I appreciate all that you guys do in this forum. It really is helpful.

Take it easy,
Tony
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Teenager looking for some guidance

Post by Boss Man »

Tonyp wrote: 9:00 wake up, eat strawberry oatmeal, A piece of fruit, and yoghurt. I think your Carbs might be too high, so skip the Fruit, as you've already got some on your Cereal and the Cereal will give you good Fibre content. The Yoghurt gives you Carbs too, but not much Protein, so have some Scrambled Egg Whites and 1 Yolk, to boost Protein. About 3 Whites should do, as Yolk as a bit as well.

You do need Carbs, to assist with Bloodsugar elevation first thing, as it's low from lack of nutrition during sleep, but the Yoghurt, Fruit, and Oatmeal, is potentially too high a Glycemic Spike, and as Oatmeal has Fruit already in it, I don't think you need two sources.

10:30 piece of fruit Have a bit of Protein here, but give Fruit about 10-15 mintues before Protein, so Protein won't interfere too much with Fruit diestion.

12:30am tunafish sandwich, and some vegatables Fine.

somewhere between 1-5pm I work out, then eat peanuts right after Interesting choice. Peanuts are actually a legume, not a Nut, and do rate on the GI scale. So I would say this is okay.

5-7 I eat diiner. Usally is meat like chicken or steak with a potatoe Not a real problem, just make sure Chicken is skinless, and you cut the Rind bit off the Steak. That little fatty bit on the side is pointless calories you don't need.

8-9 Usally have a little veggies if im still hungry, or some nuts. Have something like Low Fat Cheese instead. Get some more Calcium in your diet, and some Protein and Carbs. You won't need a lot of Carbs here from Veggies.

Is this a good diet to try and bulk up on and stay healthy?

I think it's okay yes.

Visa Vie workouts. One thing that springs to mind is Leg Extensions. You are Squatting and doing Lunges, so pitch Extensions, or you might end up with Quads that aren't proportional enough, in muscle size and strength to Hamstrings, and if Hamstrings become significantly less strong compared to Quads, it could affect walking and running, as they are Antagonist muscles, (they reverse each others actions), and Hamstrings could be forced to work harder to compensate for Quad strength, if Quads develop faster .
Tonyp
STARTING OUT

Post by Tonyp »

thanks boss man, really appreciate it. So for breakfest should i just have eggs and oatmeal and try to get more protein?
Thanks
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- breaky needs to be as soon as you rise if not already
- add protein to meal 2
- depending on when you train you'll need another meal btw 1 - 5...if you train before 3 than have a meal straight after like a protein shake and a bowl of cerial (that's what i have) but if you train closer to 5 than have a solid protein and veg meal
- add prtoein to last meal
- can have nuts with any meal
- try a 3/week full body plan doing this: squats, lunges, bent row, bench, shoulder press for 3 x 10 each on mon, wed, fri...don't worry about crunches, abs will show from eating properly...do cardio on 2 other days preferably tue and sat