Workout Routine help- 16 year old

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

madshadow
STARTING OUT

Workout Routine help- 16 year old

Post by madshadow »

I've been thinking about getting in shape for awhile now, but even after research, I've still been confused as to what to do as a workout plan. Im 16 years old, I weigh 127 pounds, and I am not on any eating plan. I'm not sure if that will mess me up, but I basically eat anything. The main problem for me is not being overweight. I just feel that I am too thin, so it doesn't seem right for me to restrict eating, but will it help me?

As far as working out, I don't do anything too fancy, because I only have an EZ bar, but I do bicep curls, "Barbell Wrist Curls Behind The Back" for forearms (I assume the EZ bar can be used in place of a barbell), And I just started to work on triceps.
I used to do crunches, but recently, I've been getting dizzy when I start doing them. It isn't dizziness from "overwork", its just I get dizzy when i go up and down and stuff.

So I basically need help developing a set routine to work out arms, and just become more healthy. I think a routine that is set in stone would help me keep to it. So, any help? Thanks
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

well your the same as me, im 16 and weigh bout 130, first eating plan, you need to eat 6 healthy meals a day, getting at least 1 gram of protein per bodyweight, so that wuold be 127g protein, it is ideal that they come from lean sources eg chicken, tuna, have a look round the diet section and you should find something.

Next the workout, an EZ can be used for many things but it is idealy for biceps i think, try buying some dumbells so that you can mix up your routine, again try looking in the workout section for ideas, i have a workout program somewhere, dumbells can give you more variety too such as hammer curls and concentration curls, try changing your routine something like every month i think so you dont hit a plateu, where you cant improve anymore.

Crunches are ok but most people wil say the best thing for a 6 pack is a clean diet, however every night i do 4 sets of 15 pushups and crunches but that is preference. Hope this has helped and i will try to think of a routine for just arms or complete body?

Welcome to the site by the way dude :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Screw Wrist Curls of any kind. Unless you plan on having crappy wrists when you're 50+, which they probalby will cause, don't do them.

Isolation on the Forearms is just a waste of time. Do E-Z Bar Curls instead, and you'll hit Forearms and Biceps good style, but you'll also be stressing the Forearm muscles, and less the Forearm joints.
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

even if you got skinny forearms, still dont do them?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Exactly. Think about it. Do you really want to be flexing those Wrist Joints, with a load of weight close to the Joints?

I used to do Wrist Curls, but I wouldn't do them now. I was probably causing more wear and tear to the Joints, which I might pay for when I'm old.

E-Z Bar Curls instead of Wrist Curls with an E-Z Bar, will work Brachioradialis and Biceps in one, and that is giving the Forearm the right Weights interaction. With the muscles not the Joints.
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

yeah thats right actually, basically i prefer the EZ bar for bicep than any other becasue for me it feels like im really working the biceps solo than any other, i was gonna ask you would it stil be ok you think to do arm exercises with a injured back, cos i dont like sitting round doing nowt.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well if you do, use a Bench. Have the backrest up, so your Back stays upright and supported, and do something like Hammer or Regular Curls.
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

ok or could have back against the wall, so would it not be ok to stand up so i can do say EZ curls?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No not against the wall. You don't want something that hard pressing into your Back.

If you do seated Bicep exercies like as described above, Dumbbell variations only.
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

ok thanks ill try that tomorrow, i think its starting to heal actually, but it should be fine to still do leg exercises i assume
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Try them with very low weights, I mean silly little ones, just to see how technique, and more importantly pain theshold cope.
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

light weigths lol, will that even help? do you mean light for arms or legs?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Legs. The light weight isn't supposed to help, it's to test your Backs ability to hold up when you do Leg exercises.

You can't for example do something like Lunges, if holding heavy Dumbbells strains your Back can you?
steven14791
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by steven14791 »

not lunges but i have a part atached to the bench for legs, mostly quads and for calfs i could just do an exercise sitting down with the weight on knee and rasining the foot up onto the toes