How do I "unlock" pecs?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Cferguson90
STARTING OUT

How do I "unlock" pecs?

Post by Cferguson90 »

Hello,
I am trying to get into shape for wrestling season. A lot of kids on team have strong/ big pecs. I had always been a cross country runner, but junior year I wanted to try something different and I picked wrestling. I had much less muscle than everyone else. During the summer I started working out, I talked to a few friends and some gym instructors but I am not seeing adequate results. I do not take protein shakes, supplements or anything of that sort, I really do not want to mess around with body while I am still growing. I am looking for a work out plan that I can use to get into shape it. I have access to a gym and can go most days after school, until wrestling starts. Here is what I have been doing lately:

Push ups: 6 sets/ 35 reps
Bench Press: 5 sets/ 6-9 Reps
Incline Bench Press: 3 sets/ 6-9 reps
Dumbell Flys: 3 sets/ 6-10 reps
Incline Dumbell Flys: 3 sets/ 6-10 reps
Chest Machine (I'm not sure what it is called): 4 sets/ 6-8 Reps

Is this a good workout? One of friends mentioned it was too much and he said I wasn't working lower chest enough. So how do I get all chest to be worked out? Also I have been doing this workout every 3 days. If this is a good workout, is it a good starting point. I am just looking for some good exercises that I can use to strengthen chest.

Thanks.
Christopheel
REGULAR

Re: How do I "unlock" pecs?

Post by Christopheel »

Push ups: 6 sets/ 35 reps Make it harder with cable/weights or elevation and reduce to 3 sets of 12-15reps
Bench Press: 5 sets/ 6-9 Reps
Incline Bench Press: 3 sets/ 6-9 reps
Dumbell Flys: 3 sets/ 6-10 reps
Incline Dumbell Flys: 3 sets/ 6-10 reps I would take that out
Chest Machine (I'm not sure what it is called): 4 sets/ 6-8 Reps I would take that out too
Always try to maximize the weight you put, try to increase at every workout and your on, that's 2-cents. Don't forget to breath while doing your pecs, many people hold him for way too long period. In case, this kind of workout as work for me, awsome and really really fast results. This idea on chest workout, for sure, do it once a week if you stick with that one.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

your doing far too much

simply do 10 sets of 3 for db bench press with a wt you can do 6 times max resting 1min between sets...do this once a week

than do incline db press 3 x 10 about 3 - 4 days later
Cferguson90
STARTING OUT

Post by Cferguson90 »

What can happen if I do far to much? I thought that your muscles had to be sore, in order to know if your muscle had ripped and will grow back bigger. The ideas you guys have me seem great but did they work for you? They seem quite low, but if you guys seem to know what you are doing. What are some of the best chest exercises (in your opinions)?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- too much training makes you go in reverse with muscle decreasing as well as strength...you grow out of the gym not in it...of course you can do what your currently doing but your recovery needs to perfect...like kobe spraining his ankle in game 6 of the nba finals with game 7 2 days later and him the obvious man to win the title in the decider but can't on 1 leg perfect recovey if that made sense

- yes they have worked for me and still do

- let's break it down...sample max wt is 100pds...3 x 10 = 30 reps usually performed at 70% of max so 70pds = 2100 total pds lifted...10 x 3 = 30 reps (same) but usually performed with about 85% of max so 85pds = 2550pds...so even though yopu've done the same vol, the total amount is heavier and the more you lift the stronger and bigger you get

- best chest mass exercises are db bench press, bb bench press and if you have them ring push ups with wt are fav's
Benjamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Benjamin »

OMG SWANSO REALY? damn! i seriously didnt realise that you could FRIGGIN SHRINK IF YOU WENT TOO MUCH :evil: :evil: :evil: i think im ok though as i go 2/3 times a week about 1-3 hours....right?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

is that 1 - 3hrs each session or in total?
bmac_21
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by bmac_21 »

for some reason i remember being told to keep full body workouts to around one hour. any longer and it becomes less beneficial or something.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's pretty accurate. Too much muscle stimulation, coupled with increased Metabolic activity and insufficient nutrition, can burn muscle.
Benjamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Benjamin »

Each session
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

Hum I tihnk you're taking way too long, I do it within and hour (full body workout) and if possible around 45-50 minutes ...