Rugby as a workout routine?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mintyherb
STARTING OUT

Rugby as a workout routine?

Post by mintyherb »

I'm 15, 5'5, and 160 pounds (lost 7 already),
and I've been checkin out the forum and everyone seems to recommend weightlifting and whatnot for workout routines.
So i'm wondering...
I play rugby maybe 6-7 hours a week (3 times, 2 and some hours at a time)
It's pretty hardcore, there's lots of cardio work involved and also lots of muscle training 'cause of all the tackling we end up doing,
and then there's the part where we do sprinting and tackling, sprinting and tackling, sprinting and tackling, endlessly.
So far I feel like I've been working out every single muscle in body insanely while doing cardio work at the same time (convenient)
but I dnno if it's a good routine?
When rugby season's over I plan to hit the gym about 4 times a week so I'll need a routine started up anyways...
So, any suggestions or ideas?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- if playing 6 - 7hrs a week you shouldn't need any extra cardio
- as for wts now, 2 week is probably all you'll need simply to maintain muscle and strength performing a squat or deadlift, bench press and pull up or row variation every session and only these exercises...training every muscle is ridiculous and too time consuming
- search "The Waterbury Method" for a program to do when your finished the season

what are your goals though etc???
mintyherb
STARTING OUT

Post by mintyherb »

goals are to get down to 140 pounds and maintain/gain muscle mass.
i got diet down right, enough protein (i don't like eating meat so this was hard for me but i got it settled),and i eat 5-6 healthy meals a day every couple hours, so that's no problem... it's just the weight trianing tha ti need to adjust.
but thanks for the advice, i'll look it up.
mintyherb
STARTING OUT

Post by mintyherb »

oh by the way i'm a girl, in case that changes anything about routine or something...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- have you done wts before???
- provide a sample diet plan
- don't try and lose anymore wt on purpose for now...if you lose wt simply by eating better than that's alright but you'll wear yourself out trying that while the season is going
- the prgram should still be alright for you but it depends on the first question

b
mintyherb
STARTING OUT

Post by mintyherb »

Yeah I've done weights before, but not excessively or routinely. Bench presses like once a week but that wasn't for very long and I've since stopped...

Sample diet... hmm..
Morning: slice of wheat toast, egg white omelette, orange juice
Snack: granola bar (less than 5 grams of sugar, 180 calories), and a piece of fruit (usually a pear or an apple)
Lunch: tortilla wrap with chicken, mustard, lettuce, cucumber, tomato...
Snack: another piece of fruit or a granola bar...
Dinner: usually some brown rice, some vegetables, half a portion of whatever meat mom's serving...

And then i get about 2-2.5 liters of water a day...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

on second thoughts Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 woulds be a better choice program wise when your finished...

Morning: slice of wheat toast, egg white omelette, orange juice...good maybe add fruit in place of bread though
Snack: granola bar (less than 5 grams of sugar, 180 calories), and a piece of fruit (usually a pear or an apple)...replace bar with a tin of tuna or some solid protein food
Lunch: tortilla wrap with chicken, mustard, lettuce, cucumber, tomato...
Snack: another piece of fruit or a granola bar...same as meal 2
Dinner: usually some brown rice, some vegetables, half a portion of whatever meat mom's serving...

And then i get about 2-2.5 liters of water a day...

looks alright to me though...maybe add some avocado for healthy fats though throughout the day
mintyherb
STARTING OUT

Post by mintyherb »

alright thanks so much :)