Am I in danger!!

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Shadowfrench
STARTING OUT

Am I in danger!!

Post by Shadowfrench »

Hi I am a 16 year old boy and I am wondering if workout rutine is dangerous. Well Im about 5/11 and about 165lbs. Im farily fit. Im on schools Armed Drill Team. I do about 80 to 90 pushups every day during practice, not to mention spining a 10lb rifle for an hour strait. When i get home i do about 15 pushups and hour. Then I do 20 before I sleep. I do this every day with little exceptions. I eat about 1 and a half bowls of ceriel for breakfast and a protien shake for lunch. I do it a big dinner though. So question is, Am I doing to many pushups and not giving muscles the time they need to heal, and am I stunting the growth of muscles because of the lack of resting time. Any advice would be great.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Why are you doing that many push-ups? I mean, outside of the army thing. I don't think that will stunt your growth, but you are not letting those muscles heal properly if you do this everyday. Recovery is when you get your muscles to grow, if they can't recover, your not going to see any gains. What are you aiming for?
Shadowfrench
STARTING OUT

Post by Shadowfrench »

Well im trying to get pretty large arms. But I mainly just want to get stronger. I need to get better at pushups because of the shere number of them I do at school. So I guess endurance. The large arms are also kind of a secondary goal.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Dude, do you wanna look like Popeye or something?
I mean big arms and chicken legs? What about the rest of you, a good bod needs some symettry. With all that chest work, you are going to end up with a big imbalance in your back. Not to mention the lower body. Plus, your chest and arms must be so used to the motion of a PU, the muscles have adapted, it will get to the point that those PU do nothing for you.
If you have to do all those PU because of the army thing, well, you gotta do it. But lay off with the extra ones. Start training your whole body, you'll make far more gains in strength and endurance.
Do you have access to a gym? Start with the primary lifts: squats, deads, rows and benches. And chins/pull ups.
At 16, with a good diet, you'll see gains in strength and endurance in no time.
smiles, diana
Shadowfrench
STARTING OUT

Post by Shadowfrench »

Thanks you gave me some good advice.
Yi Yang
STARTING OUT

Post by Yi Yang »

Your diet needs to be reworked as well. Eating most of your daily intake of calories during dinner doesn't sound very good to me. You should try to spread out your total intake evenly throughout the day.