Cardio

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

thedyzzle
STARTING OUT

Cardio

Post by thedyzzle »

Im 15 years old, 130 lbs, about 5' 7"...not overweight. I suck at endurance. family went hiking the other day, and i got tired after 5 minutes (it was up hill and very vigorous, but still...). i would really really like to be able to handle more. Im a freshman in hs, and ever since 3rd grade [except last year] i have failed to run the mile in the time i was supposed to make it. clearly, i have gotten better because i passed it last year, but i am still definitely not the best i could be.

I saw somewhere on the forums that you should walk a minute, jog for 20 seconds....something like that. Would this help endurance....?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes sort of. I probably posted that.

The idea is this. You walk for 3 minutes, jog for 30 seconds, then repeat.

Then in the second week, it's walk for 2 minutes 50 seconds, jog for 40 seconds and repeat.

Week 3, walk for 2 minutes 40 seconds, and jog for 50 seconds and repeat.

This formula, should allow for a 10 second reduction in walking time, and a 10 second increase in jogging time each week.

You should do these sessions, 4-5 times a week, to build up stamina.
thedyzzle
STARTING OUT

Post by thedyzzle »

thanx, but how many times would i repeat it in one session?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if your endurance is really, really, really terrible than start at 10mins

if really, really terrible than start at 15mins

if only 1 terrible than start at 20mins

whatever you choose you want to make sure that each "fast" interval is just as fast as the last one...a difference of more than about 15% in speed from the 1st interval to the last interval means you've probably gone a little too long...just gadge this by your speed, distance covered fast interval or both, doesn't have to be perfect