No weight gain?!?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kcb
SOCIAL CLIMBER

No weight gain?!?

Post by kcb »

I've been using free weights at home for about 8 weeks now, 30 mins a day, 4 days a week, I stoppped eating loads of fatty foods, i take multivitamin and omega 3 supplements. But still I havn't seen any weight gain, surely I must have gained a couple of pounds at least by now. weight kind of fluctuates, one day I was 128 pounds, the next I was 133, now im 128 again??? The only difference I've noticed is that biceps are very slightly bigger :/.
Any explanations to what might be happening would be great.
Cheers
KC
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

your grow and get a stronger in 'order" from your intial starting point...

weeks 1 - 6 (can stretch out further for some): you'll experiencs mostly nervous system gains where your brain's 'messages" are delivered ore efficiently to the working muscles where you'll get stronger but not a lot of actual muscle growth

after that point, yiou should still be able to get stronger where you'll need to increase wt to keep things challenging...so as the wt goes up and for the body to apapt it will also increase muscle cross sectional area (size) where the amount of rest and calories you have dictates the amount of muscle that can be gained
kcb
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by kcb »

Ok, thanks for your help. I was also wondering how you can tell if your a 'hard gainer'? I'm probably just being impatient as I havn't seen much results...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

there's no real such thing as a hardgainer...all it means is that you need to train harder, but less with more rest and eat more which is what most have to do anyway...you've just got to be a little more strict and smarter about it
McCormick407
STARTING OUT

Post by McCormick407 »

Well taking a multi vitamin and omega3 supplement wont do you anygood gaining weight. Eat more(dont be scared to eat healthy fats)peanut butter,nuts,meats your body needs fat. Also take protein
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Weight fluctuations are governed by several things.

If you're female then TOM plays its part sometimes.

Water retention is another.

However a common mistake is people weight sometimes first thing after a toilet trip, and sometimes last thing at night when they have Excreta, Urine, and possibly undigested food in their system.
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

1) dont judge your work outs by time constraints
2) lift heavy 8-10 reps per set
3) i didnt gain a pound for at least 6 mos. of training, so dont worry about that yet.
4) get "the modern encyclopedia of bodybuilding" by schwarzenegger, read it cover-to-cover, theres so much to learn
5) check your newsstand for fitness mags w/ exercise/ bulking regiments, these sections come with a 6 week diet
6)it takes even the most experienced weight lifter weeks to get the results youre looking for(assuming theyre are natural)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fitness mags are largely not worth it. They're owned by supplement companies, and there is a theory the workouts are deliberately made crappy, so when you don't succeed too much, you'll look for ways around the problem I.E. supplements.

Most of those only proliferate some truths. I mean you can't post something in one of those about the names of the 4 Quad muscles and make the names up, that's too obvious, but in general most of those magazines are lacking in real quality. Thye just become glorified Ad Farms, with pictures of 220lb Juicers, scowling after a workout that was somehow achieved with Celltech, as if Celltech or other pish products, are going to work for people, and especially those with less than approximately 170lb mass, add to that a 15 set Chest workout, and the Mags win you lose.
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

dude im 212 natural @ 14% body fat, and ive been liftin 3 yrs, juicers would b like some who's 270+. and yea a 15 set chest workout is pathetic
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

miller1089 wrote:dude im 212 natural @ 14% body fat, and ive been liftin 3 yrs, juicers would b like some who's 270+. and yea a 15 set chest workout is pathetic
No they're not all like that.

A lot of juicers weigh around 220, 230lbs, but yeah possibly 270.

Some are under 200lb, depending on their size. A 5ft8 guy, couldn't realistically get as much natural peak strength, as a guy of 6ft 4", because even if he could get the same muscle girth, the lack of length on the muscle, would probably prevent natural peaks the same as taller guys.

Yeah some guys take it before they need too, rather than trying to get another 5-10lbs natural growth, but the assumption they're all 60-100lbs heavier than most guys is not accurate.

You might be 214lb natural, I'm just saying if you see mags with guys talking up crap like Celltech, they are 18-19" ripped dudes, not 170lb guys with 16% bf, and most of those mags probably do print crap workouts, to get people to fail, so they'll think supps must be how to get the results instead, especially when there's about 50+ supp ads per mag edition.