workout questions

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kulazice
STARTING OUT

workout questions

Post by kulazice »

hi, i'm 15 years old and wanting to build a little bit of muscle aswell as toning body up. I'm not fat by any means but there is room to tone up so i have a few questions on workouts to ask.

I dont have like any sort of gym membership as there is no point really as they do not allow you to use weights until 16 i think. I do have access to dumbells thought. I know not much but im sure there is a few workouts to do that could help me.

The thing i do not understand is sets, reps are ok. When i say sets i mean on the success stories i see some people say they done 1.5 hours workout a day but on one part of they website it says that you are only meant to do 3-4 sets per exercise. I'm guessing this is meaning doing 3 exercise on chest for example?

At the moment im doing just simple stuff like 4 sets of 12 reps of hammer curls with 5kg dumbells along with just simple weight lifting again with 4 sets with 5kg. I do some chest exercises but i need help on workouts and help on if the workouts im doing actually help me.

diet is ok and i get plenty of cardio with all sort of different sports its only the workout part that gets me down on trying to tone up

Hope any of you guys could help so i can start improving on muscles and toning up body

thanks very much
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if you only have light wts then hard bodywirhgt stuff will be for you

lunges
squats
push ups
chin ups
inveted rows
handstand push ups or holds

these will be your best bet

make up a circuit of this doing a variation of each that has you doing 12 - 15 reps for each and run through it 2 - 4 times, 2 - 3 times a week
Benjamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Benjamin »

A rep is the movement of the excercise, completing one rep for example could be lifting the dumbell up, and then back down again as hammer curls or something. A set has a number of reps in it, for example 10 reps of hammer curls would be one set. Then you take 30 second rest, or whatever is needed, and then do the same excercise again, which wouldbe another set. not that confusing :D