15 years old and need to lose a couple pounds of fat

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

matt432
STARTING OUT

15 years old and need to lose a couple pounds of fat

Post by matt432 »

Hey guys,

I am 15 year old , who is 5'11, and weighs 155 pounds. I want to lose a couple pounds of fat and gain some muscle definition and need some advice. I don't really know where to begin with the whole process as I did an entire season of cross country running at least 45 minutes a day, and I still didn't lose much of body fat. I took cross country seriously and improved time by 6 minutes, yet I didn't see the results I wanted. I could feel that I was in better shape and that endurance was much better, but the extra fat was still there. The fat I want to lose is in upper body and abdomen. It looks like the layer of fat is pretty deep before the muscle as I can grab about an inch of it.

What do you guys think?

BTW I started a workout program yesterday that I kind of created by myself. 30 minutes on a workout bike then a 15 minute jog followed by situps and pushups.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- cardio doesn't burn fat, it creates more of it...the longer you run the slower your speed and therefore intensity is...the less intrensity you use the more reliant your body is on using fat for energy...this sounds great the the body will also store more fat to fuel itself for the runs
- at 155pds you don't need to lose fat, you need to build some muscle
- your probably eating too little too
- you need a wts program
- what equipment do you hae to use?
- what do you eat on a daily basis (sample)
matt432
STARTING OUT

Post by matt432 »

swanso5 wrote:- cardio doesn't burn fat, it creates more of it...the longer you run the slower your speed and therefore intensity is...the less intrensity you use the more reliant your body is on using fat for energy...this sounds great the the body will also store more fat to fuel itself for the runs
- at 155pds you don't need to lose fat, you need to build some muscle
- your probably eating too little too
- you need a wts program
- what equipment do you hae to use?
- what do you eat on a daily basis (sample)
Thanks for the response:

The equipment I have available:

Treadmill
Exercise Bike
I could possibly go to school gym which has alot of weights etc a couple times a week.

I don't really have a specific diet but I try to stay away from things that "look unhealthy."

I suppose a normal day would look like this: (Not to specific though as it varys)

7:10 Wakeup
7:30 breakfast- a couple pieces of cut fruit, orange juice, toast sometimes
9:20 Snack - Either, Apple, pear, banana (Don't always get this snack)
1:00 Lunch- Whatever is served at school, with a glass of milk
3:00 Snack - Kellogg 90 calorie snack bar, blueberries, strawberries
8:00 Dinner- Sometimes cereal or whatever mom makes.
11:00-11:30 - Bed

I don't eat enough vegetables or greens I guess, and another problem is I don't have a set diet. School creates a logistics problem, as snack isn't always available and lunch is whatever they serve. Also, after a long day I might eat some chips or something if they are available when I am hungry at school which I need to stay away from.

(Note: I also have hockey practice monday through friday for either an hour or an hour and a half, it varys)

So I need to be doing lifting instead of cardio? Also if you give me a diet plan I will stick to it. Thanks
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- yes go to school gym...search The Waterbury Method by Chad Waterbury and do as written...post any problems with it
- you're not too far off food wise but this is a simple plan to get started on:

meal 1 as soon as you get up - fruit, high fibre cerial (not cheerios or any of the sugar crap)
meal 2 - fruit, solid protein
3 - fruit, solid protein, veg, salad
4 - solid protein, veg, salad
5 - solid protein, veg, salad
6 - solid protein, veg, salad

- solid protein sources - chicken, beef, lamb, pork, fish, tuna, sardines, turkey, eggs
- fruit - any
- veg - any
- salad - any

- it's not exciting but it's what you need to do

- plan ahead and take with you what you need so you don't miss meals, preparing in advanced if needed...maybe get mum to cook up a little more dinner and have that for lunch the next day or something

- you can't take lunch with you?

- ypu'll be getting more than enough cardio at hockey