1st post :) possible 6-pack?

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

gundarak
STARTING OUT

1st post :) possible 6-pack?

Post by gundarak »

Hey guys! Thanks for reading first of all, and i'll make a small intro to myself, then the ultimate usual cry for help.

Im a short fella, about 5'4, and started working out heavy at the gym years ago. I started at 142 pounds and worked way up naturally to 163 pounds with about 10% body fat, and even then abs never showed. I went to the gym about 3-4 days a week, for about 3-4 hours each day and 1 of those hours was always cardio. obsession to the gym made obsession for food much greater, and I actually went to culinary school, and I now have a degree in culinary arts, and a minor in nutrition.

Needless to say, I consider knowledge of food and health slightly higher than some others, but no way am i putting myself up there on top of pole.. Since culinary adventures, best friend and gym partner joined the military, and I have been gymless for almost 2 years, except for recently. A goal to do a 5k zombie run got me back into cardio full time, and I changed eating habits back to healthy (didnt gain any weight in the 2 years either). Now im getting back into the gym.

So now for cry.. I have an instinctual eating habit that I have followed for about 6 years now.. during the week, i am very strict. No sugar, no snacks, no alcohol, no soda, no unnecessary foods, minimal red meat and carbs. Ive clocked intake as best as i can for a couple days, knowing myself enough that I am consistent with these numbers. Im just about 1500-1800 cals 300 grams of carbs 50 grams of protein and 70 grams of healthy fats (from cheeses, dairy and nuts)

I dont go to the gym as often or as frequently as I used to, but average about 2-3 days a week, sometimes 1 day per week if im very busy, and only for 1-2 hours.

What do you recommend I should change? theres something in calorie burn or diet that has always stopped me from having and showing abs.. even at best years ago, when I frequented the gym 4 days a week, 4 hours at a time, I could never get them. I honestly dont care if i never get them.. i just like the challenge of trying :)
Athene
REGULAR

Re: 1st post :) possible 6-pack?

Post by Athene »

The 6 pack is there, it's just not revealed yet ;) As is the case with most of us!
I can recommend eating green vegetables, red meat, and healthy fats like nuts and olive oil, with no sugar or grains, for one month, and watch what happens. It's kind of awesome.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

You need to cut your carbs down. I recommend 30% lean proteins, 30% healthy fats (olive oil, salmon, avocado) and 40% low glycemic carbs (vegetables, fruit, legumes, some whole grain). Consider adding resistance training to your routine and work out harder not longer (HITT).

Best,
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edhezlet
STARTING OUT

Post by edhezlet »

Yup, i massively agree with the carbs comment- reducing carbohydrate intake really helped me get visible abs.
However you need to replace it with something- green vegetables are particularly good, as they help fill you up without offering many calories.

I also find that a lot of people stick to bodyweight ab exercises a little bit too much- here are some good ones you can do with light weights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBekZ6Z6EZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep going and I hope you succeed!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Broccoli has a lot of calories. A large stalk contains 40g Carbs, so not all green veggies are low carb.

That's not a criticisim of you, just an observation.
J_Rock1215
STARTING OUT

Post by J_Rock1215 »

sounds like some great suggestions! im quite eager to try a few out myself. I have been a gym guru for a few years now, more of the body builder, and have never found the key(s) to the door of six pack. I will see what double the weekly cardio and more juicing of vegetables and fruits will get me!
Thanks