Thin guy - diet for six pack

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fdsa
STARTING OUT

Thin guy - diet for six pack

Post by Fdsa »

In October I started regularly exercising (circuits + rowing) about 3-4 times a week. Although I've seen some tremendous improvement in figure, abs still aren't showing. I've read that in order for them to show, you need to loose weight. However, I'm already underweight: 72kgs and 184cm. That's 158 pounds for a 6 foot and a few inches height, which isn't very much for a 20-year old .

How am I supposed to sort out diet?

Thanks,
Fdsa
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Thin guy - diet for six pack

Post by Boss Man »

What foods do you eat and what times do you eat?
Fdsa
STARTING OUT

Post by Fdsa »

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is an example of what I might eat in a day:

breakfast - muesli, bread+marmalade
lunch - pasta with spinach, wholemeal bread, fruit
dinner - pasta with leeks/pesto/tomato, fresh meat/fish, wholemeal bread, fruit

although I do circuits and rowing, I don't do any weights. don't really snack regularly, but occasionally I'll have some biscuits/chocolate. I've read that it's better to eat 4-6 meals a day.

So here's new plan:

6 meals a day:
-wholemeal pasta
-cashew nuts
-wholemeal pasta w/spinach + tuna/chicken breast
-potatoes
-wholemeal bread (+cheese?)
-leeks, 2 boiled eggs, muesli
NO BISCUITS/CHOCOLATE/ACHOOL

To the exercise I'm getting at the moment I'll add 3-4 days a week of weightlifting.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Fdsa
Fdsa
STARTING OUT

Post by Fdsa »

ps. Jethro Tull avatar!!! Great band!!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fdsa wrote:
So here's new plan:

6 meals a day:
-wholemeal pasta
-cashew nuts
-wholemeal pasta w/spinach + tuna/chicken breast
-potatoes
-wholemeal bread (+cheese?)
-leeks, 2 boiled eggs, muesli
NO BISCUITS/CHOCOLATE/ACHOOL

To the exercise I'm getting at the moment I'll add 3-4 days a week of weightlifting.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Fdsa
What does that plan look like in terms of meals, as at the moment it's just a collection of foods that have not been allocated meal slots.

You may be a bit low on Protein content, but depending on how you plan to organise those foods into 6 individual meal plans for the day, may negate that issue.
Fdsa
STARTING OUT

Post by Fdsa »

The idea was:

breakfast -wholemeal pasta
midmorning snack-cashew nuts
lunch-wholemeal pasta w/spinach + tuna/chicken breast
afternoon meal 1-potatoes
afternoon meal 2-wholemeal bread (+cheese?)
dinner-leeks, 2 boiled eggs, muesli

what would you advise adding in order to increase protein? mozzarella?

thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fdsa wrote:The idea was:

breakfast -wholemeal pasta

(Swap your Breakfast with Dinner and limit the pasta, but add things like mushroom or beans, or peas in there for protein and lower GI carbs, to reduce the GI rating of the meal, so the impact on bloodsugar is lowered.)

midmorning snack-cashew nuts

(Fine)

lunch-wholemeal pasta w/spinach + tuna/chicken breast

(Fine)

afternoon meal 1-potatoes

(Limt the potatos and increase protein from something like chicken, turkey, ham beef etc. You could if the potatos are creating a low carb situation add another small amount of veggie carb in there, or maybe a combination of what I call savoury fruits, like tomato, marrow, chillies, aubergine, (eggplant), peppers.)

afternoon meal 2-wholemeal bread (+cheese?)

(Low fat cheese would work)

dinner-leeks, 2 boiled eggs, muesli

(Already covered.)
Fdsa
STARTING OUT

Post by Fdsa »

Thanks again for the brilliant reply. The only thing I've got a question about is swapping breakfast and dinner: I've heard (and read) that

1.your breakfast should be your biggest meal, with dinner being the smallest
2. it's not a good idea to have carbs (and therefore pasta) at dinner (before going to sleep) as the unused energy will just get stored as fat.

cheers,
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I said what I did because the Dinner options looked more like Breakfast options and the Breakfast options, looked more like Dinner options, but nothing is set in stone.

You can actually process calories when asleep as it's about quantity not actually eating food, but yes too many carbs could store as fat just like they can at any time of day, but Carbs can exert positive effects on the brain, in relation to sleep, so they should not necessarily be rebuffed totally in relation to sleep.

You're still having a fair old amount of Carb from Leeks and Muesli, the way you are doing it anyway. So having a reduced amount of pasta for Dinner is okay instead, especially as reccomendations for additions to it, to reduce the impact on bloodsugar will help and as some carb is lost to the cooking process, that would help also in relation to bloodsugar.

Metabolism does taper off later in the day it's true, but again, but it's still calories consumed to some extent, that determine things not just when you eat them.

reccomendations could still potentially work, though there is nothing significantly wrong with what you proposed, so ultimately it's your decision :).