Just making sure im on the right track

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

aachs
STARTING OUT

Just making sure im on the right track

Post by aachs »

Hi! So I just wanted to make sure im on the right track to getting a 6-pack (im also training for the tough mudder at the same time.)

So I do have a little bit of abs poking through, and im sitting at around 10% body fat when I started this routine.

Breakfast: Either oatmeal or Apple&Banana
Lunch: Salad Generally
Dinner: Salmon or Grilled Chicken or I throw a bunch of veggies into a crockpot with chicken.
Snacks: If I get hungry, I will generally eat some homemade granola I cooked.

workout routine consists of all bodyweight exercises (I do have access to some weights):
Mon- Situps / Pushups / Running 3-4 miles / Squats
Tues-Rest
Wend - Situps / Pushups / Running 3-4 miles / Squats
Thur-Rest
Fri - Situps / Pushups / Running 3-4 miles / Squats
Sat -Situps / Pushups / Running 3-4 miles / Squats
(I do a training program, 200 situps, 100 pushups, 200 squats that a friend recommended for me.)

For supplements, I am taking Complete Whey Protein, NO-Xplode, Creatine, BCCA powder, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Multi Vitamin, and Quecertin.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Just making sure im on the right track

Post by Boss Man »

I'd ditch the No-explode, it's not great and you're taking Creatine anyway, so overdoing the Creatine could cause kidney issues.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this, which is all bodyweighted.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical Flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

In relation to the training ideas I gave you above, your bodyweight workouts and cardio schedule could look something like this.

Day 1. Bodyweight

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Bodyweight

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Bodyweight

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

Along with the training routine, don't forget to constantly challenge yourself. Your body will stop progressing once its adapted to the strain you've put on it thought the exercise. Even if its just adding a few more reps to each set or another set entirely. . . Every bit helps.
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

Also I don't know when you take your whey protein, but by taking it in the morning to jumpstart your protein synthesis after your muscles have been fasting all night.
InchByInch
STARTING OUT

Post by InchByInch »

Sounds like you want the abs to pop up since you already have a good range of bf. Doing 200 situps won't help move you forward. Your bodyweight and cardio covers that. Limit it to 2-3 sets, 10 reps while adding weights. Adding weights to your ab workout will make your "poking" abs into the "incredible hulk running out of your stomach" abs.