Six Pack Diet and Workout Routines

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ZeroPresence
STARTING OUT

Six Pack Diet and Workout Routines

Post by ZeroPresence »

I decided earlier this year that I wanted to have that "beach body" everyone talks about, more importantly, a six-pack body. This Summer I followed this abs routine as well as the other routines shown in this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLCTPFSSUhM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; In another video made by them, they instructed to do one routine per day (for example, abs on Monday, pullups on Tuesday, etc. On the fourth day, rest). I also followed their nutrition guide, which encouraged lots of protein for muscle recovery, lots of carbs such as whole grain bread , oats, whole wheat pasta, etc. I cut out almost all junk foods, aside from the occasional slip every now and then when going out with friends.

After about a month, I noticed some results:
- Felt stronger and more alert (probably due to the eating change)
- Muscles in arms and chest felt bigger
- But I had just a small muscle bulge around abdominals. It did feel rock hard underneath the skin though. Obviously not enough to produce noticeable muscle tone however.

I'm also a track/cross country runner (mid-distance). I've been competing since 7th grade (I'm a Freshmen in college now and plan to continue) so I had some muscle to begin with, but not much. I'm around 5'10 and I weigh around 143 pounds. I'm not exactly a twig like you'd picture most distance runners to be, but I'm not big by any means.

I guess the question I'm asking is, is this abs workout just not working? Supposedly you're supposed to be seeing significant results after 3 months, and I've been following this since the beginning of July. Do you recommend an alternative six pack workout? Any feedback and comments would be helpful. Thank you
vamp
VETERAN

Re: Six Pack Diet and Workout Routines

Post by vamp »

There is a six pack under there but you have fat there to or it would be showing. what do you eat for each meal and how many meals a day and when? I honestly don't think it is a workout issue, but rather diet.

PS welcome to the site :wink:
David_P01
STARTING OUT

Post by David_P01 »

I noticed that you said you were recommended to eat a whole bunch of carbs. No doubt, those are some good carbs to eat, but when you are trying to get that six pack and cut fat, you are going to have to cut back all those carbs. Aim for a lot of protein and fewer carbs. You mentioning that you eat a bunch of carbs stuck out to me like a sore thumb so yeah, cut back on the carbs.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Good catch David!

fruit in the morning and veg in afternoon and evening and cut back on starchy carbs like breads, cereals and potatoes.... don't cut them out entirely, just cut them back.

ie, only a recommended serving size on the package of cereal and then a piece of fruit and a hard boiled egg to add to it. Instead of pouring a bowl that is 2x-4x the recommended serving!

One hamburger on a bun not 2 or 3 or two and a hot dog on a bun... that much bread is not good for you, instead have a salad with it or a bowl of soup.
David_P01
STARTING OUT

Post by David_P01 »

Another thing I didn't think about at the time was carb cycling. On workout days, you eat more carbs, and on non workout days, you cut back on the carbs. Also, the best time to eat carbs is in the morning time and of course, after you workout. Wherever you are eating those carbs that you are going to cut back, replace with protein. It takes more energy to digest protein than it does carbs which means more calories burned, and the more muscle you pack on, the more calories you will be burning because muscle burns more calories than fat. You're on the right track! Keep up the good work!
ZeroPresence
STARTING OUT

Post by ZeroPresence »

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yeah I had the same feeling Vamp, I was doing all this work but I still had little noticeable results. I follow a nutritional video made by Bar Brothers. They had it on Youtube but it looks like they took it down. Luckily I copied the information down when I first started so I could have a hand copy. It looks like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nutrition:

Favorite great sources of protein for muscle recovery are:
1) whole eggs, wild salmon, tuna, almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, chicken, steak, hamburger, turkey, beef, milk, cheese, yogurt, beans.

Need about 112 grams of protein per day. (140 pounds)

Favorite great sources of carbohydrates:
Whole grain bread, oats, yogurt, whole wheat pasta, potatoes, brown rice, cereal. Fruits, berries, bananas, apples, oranges, kiwi. Vegetables, lettuce, celery, spinach, tomatoes, peppers
Carbohydrates to protein should be ratio 4:1

Foods to eat before workout:
Remember, timing is everything. It’s best to eat 45 min before workout to give time for food to digest.
1) Whole wheat bagel with jam or honey, great combination to fuel you before workout
2) Oatmeal + banana – carbs provide long lasting energy that body stores for use later
3) Bread with cheese – a slice whole grain bread with cheese spread, easy on stomach and provides protein with slow-release carbs

*Drink water! Your body is about 60 percent water!*
Daily water intake for average person should be about 10 glasses of water daily. That is about 2.5 liters everyday. Stay hydrated because that will help you avoid muscle cramps during workout
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 examples of meals throughout the day.
Can make different combinations with the foods listed later

Meal 1 morning: 2 eggs, 5 slices turkey, mix of walnuts and cashews, glass of orange juice, bread with honey and blueberries.

Meal 2 good snack: almond butter spread on rice cakes or whole grain bread, with cut up banana on it, and a bottle of water

Meal 3 mid-day: chicken breasts, broccoli, brown rice or spaghetti, slice whole grain bread, milk

Meal 4 snack: Natural whey protein, Greek yogurt, almonds, milk (mix slow digesting so you don’t lose muscle mass)

Meal 5 post workout dinner: white fish or salmon, mix red pepper green pepper, mashed potatoes, cheese on whole grain bread
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it helps, I can post a picture so you can see the body fat percentage. It's not much (well, at least I don't think). I think most of fat is located on waist. I'd compare it to a bicycle tire. Bar Brothers also has a body fat routine I could do to burn fat. I could replace push up routine with the burning fat one.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Try ...

40% protein
30% carb
30% fat (healthy)

4:1 ratio of carb to protein is high and more like a bulk type diet which is not needed.

so for 112 g of protein that would be 84 g of Fat and 84 g of Carb a day.....

your caloric consumption will be 2660-2960 calories a day... if you are doing about 3 days of exercise a week its the lower end, 5-7 then move to the higher end... the 40/30/30 % still applies if calculating calories.

Cheers

PS... calorie numbers are based on your height / weight / age on your profile.
...... the grams were based on the 112 g protein you gave as an example.