Needed so much help

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

lmh95s
STARTING OUT

Needed so much help

Post by lmh95s »

Being a dumbass I am, I tried asking ''famous trainers'' and coaches for help.
Nope, not a single reply given. I've decided to try on this place for luck, for help. Sincere help. Not too sure if im at the right section though?
*long story ahead

Basic information about me
Weight: 61kg 134.4lbs
Diet: Vegetarian aka no fish as well. Do take dairy products.
Injury: Back and neck. Mainly muscle tension, but rather terrible to the extend that its aching every single day.

Situation
On 2013, I'm just a skinny kid, was only 18yo. I decided to make a change.
From 53.5kg (118lbs), weight shoot up to 62kg(136.6lbs) in just 2 months. That is very fast. I'll consider it as super fast.
I eat almost double the amount of food, and workout hard, training primarily upper body(entire upper body)
Its good, ONLY till I realised, i'm actually gaining shit. In overall, I look bigger, but thats all. Its mostly fatty fats. Without the fats I MIGHT actually look the same.
WORSE thing worse, alot of fats accumulate at area. Looking back at diet, despite of high intake of protein, I took in a huge amount of carbohydrates as well. I can barely run, I actually feel breathless after 3storey of stairs. Despite of being ''skinny'', I'm actually fat. body couldnt adapt to sudden weight gained, especially the huge amount of fats added on.

Its mistake, I admit. I neglect the side effect of huge carbo intake, as well as skipping cardio.
I took a long break after that, due to heavy schoolwork, and feeling despair.

During the long period, I occasionally go for jogging(usually 1-2km, or 10-20min), workouts (always do at home, with dumbbells and/or bodyweights)
As you can see, its not that consistent.
However, at the end of last year(2014), I tried again for a change. 2 months, I do HIIT(heard that its the best for cardio and fat burning) 2-3times a week, workout 2-3times a week too. I time the training well, just enough time for every muscles part to have a rest for at least a day. Of course, diet change. I've been eating clean. So clean. Frying eggs with no oil, no sweets, no junk food, taking protein shakes, fresh milk, wholemeal, brown rice. Well, you know, all those stuff. To me, it is never an issue eating clean. Im no fussy eater. Its not consider as a suffering to me. However, it IS a suffering to me, when I tried so hard, doing all the considered ''right stuff'' and bam! No weight changes, fats remain THE SAME.

I dont know whats happening. I stop everything again, I feel like shit. Fucking shit. I hate how chest remained ''flat'', arms not 'filling' up sleeves, look so fat that it look like its as big as chest(mainly also bcos im flat chested), skinny, but fat. I cant stopped blaming myself for overeating last time. I felt like its because of that, body look so messed up now. I hate it. People telling me how skinny I am, but the fats covering body is disgusting.

No, im not becoming anorexic or something. 2015, health report is out. I have a total amount of 20% fats in body. 20! fucking 20. Im not wishing for a single digit of 2 or 3, but 20 is way too much. I really hate it. The matter of fact that I have no idea what exactly I should do, Im feeling helpless. As a man now(20yo) I actually cried and wonder whats happening to me.

Nevermind, I dont give up. After graduated this year, I picked up fighting spirit again. Back to workouts, back to HIIT. From april, may, june.. Nothing. Nothing happen. this, I decided to go gym. No, nothing changes. I've tried out method A, B, C, D blah blah blah. Its not working! I wanted to give up again, Im feeling shit, I have no idea what is wrong exactly. So right here, right now, im going to share entire diet+workouts routine, as well as worries. Im hoping for someone, anyone, to enlighten me and correct me.

For weights training, I mainly use heavy weights and do a reps of 6. mainly 4cycles. I know the drills. I always do it with body upright, full move(no lifting halfway and up again, but all the way down and up) For free weight lifting, I can actually do 12kg (26.4lbs). ---heavy weights, push body max, few reps
For cardio, I swim, i jog. I stop HIIT for awhile, because I lost hope for that at the moment... ---still keep cardio intensive, no more than 1hr for each session

For diet. This is the tricky part, isnt it?
Currently, i followed the guideline of 0.5g for 1 pound of your weight, more(1g/pound) when workouts. As vegetarian, I have firm tofu, milk, cheese, eggs, protein shakes, wholemeal food for protein intake.
Definitely 2 servings of vegetables. 8 glasses of water. clean food.. Only thing failed to do is 2 serving of fruits, often I just forgot to eat it.
Overall, you can say im on a 'healthy diet'.
However, I have this issue on beans(chickpeas, macadamia, etcetc). I know beans is a good source of protein and oil for vegetarian. But i cant take too much of the beans, daily. Mostly beans sold outside is fried/roasted, which make it extremely *heaty (im not sure if the westerners talk about this. But in asia, heaty food = bbq, fried, roasted food make your body heaty, which will cause inflammation, acne growth, bad breath, cough if its too much) Cough is the main issue affecting me. I cant eat beans every single day because eventually I will end up in bad cough and inflammation, and I have to stop beans eating.

questions...
What exactly should I be doing now?
I wanted to lose fats, but also gain muscles. Can I do it both now? Or should I focus on 1 side first? How EXACTLY should i do it???
more calories? less calories? more/less carbo? Even more proteins??? Theres this debate of man doesnt actually need much protein to gain muscles, blahblahblah. This stuff... is confusing.
Spam cardio? Back to HIIT? Change weight lifting system??
Also heard that too much milk causes some shit diseases or kidney stones stuff, as milk is 1 of protein intake, should i take note?
Same for firm tofu, as plaster is the ingredient of the process of making soft tofu into firm tofu.. Should I be worry?
Is back+neck muscle tension an issue? Read upon an article that protein intake often go the the muscle part that needed most(which i assume it might go to back and neck, as its aching and sore every single day, ''in need'' of protein therefore)
How much is sitting too long consider as too long? I spend most of time sitting, and again.. read upon article that sitting promote growth?
I dont ever dare to take naps after meals(its a common thing that people feel sleepy after meals isnt it), because im afraid it will promote growth as well.

Thanks for reading... hoping for sincere help, enlightenment. Thank you. Really thanks alot
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Needed so much help

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Lmh, good to speak to you.

Firstly you may have not gotten very far if you cut your calories back to low, as having low calories can cause something called a starvation mode, which means your body thinks it's being starved and refuses to ditch fat.

So therefore having a certain protein intake for example, wouldn't make much if any difference; plus as added muscle is good for improving the metabolism, lost muscle can be detrimental and lead to added fat gain.

Secondly excess protein can lead to kidney stones and gout, but you'd have be probably having over 1.5g per lb of body weight, so I wouldn't worry too much about consuming 1g per lb at all.

Thirdly, I'm not aware of anything relating to plaster and tofu, but this might explin things better for you.

Tofu information

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

As for the diet what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
lmh95s
STARTING OUT

Post by lmh95s »

Hi BossMan, thank you so much for your reply.
yes for weights, i am slowly building up amount.

For diet wise,
*usually breakfast start @ 9-10. food can be:
1 bowl of oatmeal+1 egg added inside(with Milo powder added in)
3 slices of wholemeal bread+1 slice of cheese + glass of milk
1 bowl of porridge + side dishes(can be 1fried egg, kimchi, 50g of firm beancurd)
1 cup of cereal in milk

*lunch(12-1pm) and dinner(7-8pm) is about the same. Except that i'll eat more on lunch of course
1 plate of brown rice/1plate of instant noodles(non fried)
inclusive of 1-2 serving of vege(broccoli, bitter-gourd, eggplant, spinach, potato etc)/1 egg/50g of firm beancurd/.5 serv baked beans/1 piece of seitan(usually less than 5g of protein)/soup, occasionally

I have tea time(3-4pm). Usually is cereals or bread again, with milk. maybe A little of beans. 1 Fruit maybe. usual fruits are orange, apple, banana

Sometime I got hungry, I'll eat some supper(before 12midnite strike) Same, usually is cereals or bread again, with milk. amybe A little of beans. 1 Fruit maybe. Maybe just a piece of dark chocolate. If im too hungry, I'll panfried ONE Indian prata(ready cook) with 2 eggs + 1 slice of cheese added on.

Im so afraid of eating a huge portion of diet, mainly because despite of being thin, i always get to see this shit all the time..
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/ ... 68x604.jpg *just an image from the net as a guide

So right now, im very confused how heavy should diet be... How intense cardio should i push for..
Realised i didnt state out goal. goal is to reach 70kg (currently 60 only) in 3-5months time.. and yet reduce body fat level from 20% to 12%. Do enlighten me. Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I can see that the main issue here is having a carb heavy diet, unless I'm misinterpreting things, so for example with this

1 bowl of oatmeal+1 egg added inside(with Milo powder added in)
3 slices of wholemeal bread+1 slice of cheese + glass of milk
1 bowl of porridge + side dishes(can be 1fried egg, kimchi, 50g of firm beancurd)
1 cup of cereal in milk

Does that represent all one meal, or just different option that you rotate, so you never have the same breakfast every day and if so are the listings for lunch, dinner etc, all different options you have or do they represent a complete meal?
lmh95s
STARTING OUT

Post by lmh95s »

Different options, with rotation. Hahaha. Sorry for the confusion.
For lunch dinner the side dishes is on random too.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In that case the diet doesn't seem too bad right now, so I'd alter the training, because if you change two things at once, one change might compromise the other, or be unnecessary,
so making one change will isolate that change, to see how it affects things for the next 4-6 weeks.
lmh95s
STARTING OUT

Post by lmh95s »

Youre right. I'll try best. Thank you for your advice