How much cardio is necessary for abs?

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

joeyc25
STARTING OUT

How much cardio is necessary for abs?

Post by joeyc25 »

Hi, I am new here. Right now I do an hour of cardio (mixture of HIIT running/walking and biking) 5-6 days a week. I am pretty toned in midsection but would like to become more toned like this: http://www.beautymuscle.net/wp-content/ ... 00x426.jpg" target="_blank

I am 5'9" (female) and weigh about 110 pounds. According to a couple of body fat calculators online, I am 14-15% body fat. I would like more lean mass. I eat a low carb/high protein diet. Should I cut back on cardio? If so, by how much? I just don't wan't to bulk up and gain a significant amount of weight because I model, and that may alter measurements for sample. I also do Pilates at a reformer studio twice a week for an hour, along with a 15 minute ab exercise video I just started.

Thank you :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How much cardio is necessary for abs?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Joey, good to talk to you.

Firstly don't worry about gaining some mass, because if you couldn't get modelling work with a 120lb statuesque physique, then there would be something wrong with that.

Have you got access to a gym or do you intend to train at home and if you want to train at home have you got any equipment or would you be willing to purchase any?
FitnessFrigginRocks
STARTING OUT

Re: How much cardio is necessary for abs?

Post by FitnessFrigginRocks »

There are dangerous ways (such as dehydrating yourself) to achieve this and then there are some safer ways.

personal preference: Do cardio and a slight caloric deficit to slim down, then "bulk up" a little and focus on working your abs and core so your muscles push against the skin which is now a bit tighter after your "cut" :-)