Good Response to Fitness/Thinness Envy?

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Good Response to Fitness/Thinness Envy?

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hello! I'm looking for a nice way to tell the ladies I work with that I don't look the way I do because I'm lucky. I've been in the gym since March, and I've had really great results so far. I've packed on about 7lbs of muscle and reduced and thigh/butt areas. I'm literally working off. I sleep better, laugh more and feel the effects of stressful life to a lesser degree.
work is currently doing a weight loss challenge. I think it's great, but I didn't sign up because I'm still working to add muscle. One of the girls in the employee gym asked if I had signed up, and I told her I hadn't. Her reply? "You don't need to lose any weight. You're really thin. You're lucky." I just told her it didn't come easy. A year ago, I was 173lbs, now I'm 160. I told her I had to do a huge diet shift and join the gym. There's nothing lucky about it. How do you say that to someone who's dripping sweat?
What should I have said? What do you say? I feel like no body is supportive of the success I've had, and they look down on me for turning down the pizza and junk food that's always flying around the office. Thank goodness for husband and parents. They've made the same life changes I have with equal or greater success. They know what it takes. That really helps.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Good Response to Fitness/Thinness Envy?

Post by Boss Man »

Well for one thong, you will get the support you deserve on here and I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to you for your success so far :clap: :thumb: and that I am personally proud of you for what you are achieving, because I think you're doing brilliantly and as I said an another recent post, you working around a problem you had, showed common sense not to let the problem hinder you completely, when it wasn't as severe as that.

What you tell people is it's not luck it's hard work and to understand how hard it is, you need to experience it first hand, because like the vast majority of things in life, you can never know what it feels like on a personal level, until you're doing it or you are personally involved.

You could even challenge one or two of them to avoid the weight loss challenge and try the kind of approach you've used for just one month and see how hard it is, as even in the first month it will require them not using maximum levels of weight, just like you would have done, but it will still require quite a lot of effort even in the early stages and the willingness to give and develop the commitment necessary, so that you're able to progress beyond the point where so many have given and will give up.

Willingness to step into your shoes would indicate a willingness to sample your lifestyle, in order to prove or disprove what you said. Unwillingness or showing an adamant mentality to sticking with the weight loss thing, might indicate a grudging concession to what you claim to have done, or a possible fear that far from you being lucky, they may have to work even harder than the weight loss challenge will make them work.

The main thing is not to let what they say affect your mindset. You are honestly and truly doing a brilliant job and I want you to be really proud of yourself because I'm proud of you and I don't know you personally, but you're making me smile inside as I write this, because of your positive words and admissions and you don't need a weight loss challenge anyway, as added muscle helps to burn fat and in time you'll be fine just continuing with what you're doing.

You might however be a little lucky genetically, only because you've gained 7lbs in 4 months, which normally, especially with females, wouldn't happen that quickly, although I would be interested to know how this statistic was obtained, not because I don't believe you, as I'm quite willing to believe you, I'm just curious if you were properly tested, or used an online tool / app, or just estimated your own changes in body composition :).

For now however keep doing what you're doing, be proud, chin up, be strong and no worries and please do keep us updated, because I for one never get bored or tired of anybodies progress, because we're here to support people physically, mentally and emotionally, in whatever way(s) we think are best and our support of people only ever stops when they want it to and I certainly will keep a watchful eye over your progress, if you keep telling us about it as often as you want to, because after reading about people making misjudgements about your progress, I want you more than ever now to get the success I know you will deserve and you ARE worth.

WELL DONE again though and keep on believing, because we as a community believe in you and I personally believe in you 10,000,000% and what you have achieved so far you thoroughly deserve, so GOOD ON YOU :).

:clap: :thumb:
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

Wow, thanks Bossman! Im not at all discouraged by what they say, more so im just disappointed that theyre either trying to justify a lack of progress for themselves or trying to slow me down. Either way is sad.

As far as the seven pounds goes, all i can say is that i started working outat 153lb, amd now i weigh 160. nutrition guy says i shocked body a little. Ive been stuck at 160 for a while, so i dnt anticipae that I'll continue to gain like that. legs and arms are bigger, so i justt assumed it was muscle. No science involved.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well then it's possible it might have been muscle gain yes :).

The main thing is to stick with it and keep believing in yourself, because you ARE worth it :).
FitandLeila816
STARTING OUT

Post by FitandLeila816 »

Wow, very inspirational! :clap: Indeed, for me to get results, working off too is the key. And I'm willing to put gameface on.. even if I'm already half way to yet another set of new year resolution. #feelingdetermined :D
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Are these ladies aware of te changes you've made? If not, show them before and after pics!!