Wedding training - clueless beginner

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kg1886
STARTING OUT

Wedding training - clueless beginner

Post by kg1886 »

Hi there! As the title implies, I am absolutely clueless when it comes to training but am really keen to start some kind of programme to achieve goals (basically, to tone up and get a good 'bikini body') but I don't really know where to start.

I used to go to the gym as a teenager but only really used the treadmill and pool. reason for wanting to start now is that I am getting married at the start of July and want to feel and look good for the big day (and honeymoon after!!). I am naturally skinny, at just under 5 ft 4 and around the 8 stone (110 lbs?) mark, though I never really weigh myself. Despite this, I do have quite a lot of body fat (which I am obviously keen to get rid of), though I don't think it's a good idea for me to lose any actual weight given that weight is already quite low.

I have very little (if any) upper body strength and fiancé teases me because I can't even do a push-up. If anyone could give me any help as to where I should start, what I should be doing to achieve goals, etc. I would be very grateful. I will probably be doing training at home rather than in the gym as I get home from work quite late but fiancé (also a beginner) has bought himself some equipment that I could perhaps use (a bench and bow-flex adjustable dumbbells) if it is suitable for me (I have read that weights may be better than cardio for what I want?)

By the way, I realise that diet is a key part of all this and I have already cut out all fast food from diet and am going to be starting to eat as cleanly as possible.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Wedding training - clueless beginner

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Kg, good to talk to you.

Cardio can have its place with weight loss, but weights when done properly can really be a winner because more muscle helps to burn more calories, as one pound of added muscle can burn another 45-50 calories, so that is a beneficial thing to do.

I would be surprised if your fiancee didn't let you use the bowflex and other equipment, as that wouldn't look like a good start to your soon to be marriage and I'm not being critical, just making an observation :).

What weight are the dumbbells you'll probably be able to use? You say they're adjustable, so presumably they are the ones where you can alter the weight on the dumbbell, you're not talking about the traditional system of using lots of different dumbbells.

As for the diet, what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

Boss Man wrote:hat weight are the dumbbells you'll probably be able to use? You say they're adjustable, so presumably they are the ones where you can alter the weight on the dumbbell, you're not talking about the traditional system of using lots of different dumbbells.
What do you think of the weights you can alter boss? That would be better for me too if i had those.
kg1886
STARTING OUT

Post by kg1886 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi there Kg, good to talk to you.

Cardio can have its place with weight loss, but weights when done properly can really be a winner because more muscle helps to burn more calories, as one pound of added muscle can burn another 45-50 calories, so that is a beneficial thing to do.

I would be surprised if your fiancee didn't let you use the bowflex and other equipment, as that wouldn't look like a good start to your soon to be marriage and I'm not being critical, just making an observation :).

What weight are the dumbbells you'll probably be able to use? You say they're adjustable, so presumably they are the ones where you can alter the weight on the dumbbell, you're not talking about the traditional system of using lots of different dumbbells.

As for the diet, what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Thanks for your response. I did think I was going to have to maybe do some weights as goal isn't to lose real weight - at weight I don't think I should. I need to tone up and burn fat but maybe the best way of doing this is by adding a little muscle with weights? fiancé suggested that I should maybe start with a full-body weights workout 3 times a week with 1 exercise per muscle group (chest, shoulders, back, etc.), varying the exercises each workout. Does this sound like a good idea? I could maybe do some pilates or something on the other days?

I have since checked with him and he says I can use his weights haha! Yes, I've watched him use them and you just turn the dial to set the weight and then lift it and it releases and picks up the corresponding weight plates. He bought them to save space and time changing the weights manually and, as a beginner, he seems quite happy with them. They go from 5 to 52.5 pounds, though I think I'd be at the lower end of the scale.

Regarding food, living in Spain, I tend to eat evening meal quite late. On a usual day I have porridge with raisins in the morning before work, soup and bread or some salad at lunch with some fruit, and for dinner (usually between 9 and 10 o'clock) I have something like chicken breast with peppers and pasta (on other days I have spaghetti bolognese, chilli con carne, salmon with potatoes and vegetables, and things like that). Basically, I think I eat quite a lot of carbs and quite late. Is this something I should adjust? I also have a weakness for crisps and a cup of tea with biscuits - something I suppose I need to control!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In response to you Becky, yes you could try adjustable dumbbells and see how they plan out for you.

To KG, you should definitely ditch the tea and biscuits and if you're concerned about eating at certain times of the day you could have a cut off point of 2-3 hours before bed.

Crisps these days are not too bad as some packs have more healthy fat and come in at under 200 calories, so they can be a decent snack these days, whereas 20 years ago, they would have been frowned upon more.

I'd include some snacks between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner and about 2-3 hours after dinner.

Here are some options you can use, like microwave soups, baked beans and rice dishes, oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Depending on how your calories are looking I'd say aim for roughly the sedentary female average of 1,800 then add another 200-400 calories in workout days, as you'll be burning more calories, but the extra calories and carb proportion of the calories, would be good for bolstering your energy provisions.