Let's disspell some Myths right now, and educate the wary
1. Women can build muscle, but cannot look bulky, unless they eat like a Horse and take sizeable Steroid amounts. A man can have 17" or higher natural Arms, a woman would be around the upper limit for lean Mass for that, and HAVE TO BE taking Steroids, to help them get about 20% of that mass.
2. A Women's physiology does not change with weights, unless you take Steroids, and things like Growth Hormones and possibly Testosterone Boosters, then you might get hoarse Voice, Thick Jaw, Wide Clitoris, Oily Skin, Blemishes, Receeding Hairline, and possibly increased risk of Cardiac Complications, or maybe an outside chance of issues with Periods and lactation.
Most of those except for the skin issues and any Period problems, are irreversable, and also depend on what types of Steroids and Hormones used, and how you dose them.
3. Women benefit from muscle and weight training. Weight training also can increase Bone density, and by the age of about 70-75, last statistic I read, was that Osteoperosis will have already occured for 1 in 3 women in that age range, irrespective of how often it occurs in men or those women older than 75.
Especially as bone density reduces more quickly after 50. You could also get something call Osteopenia, which is something that without proper testing and dietary countermeasures, can cause Osteoperosis for men too.
It's a condition where Bone density is lower than is considered normal, but not so low it's become Osteo, so it could be irreversible.
Incidentally, you can get something called Osteopetrosis
, (highlighted due to the similar spelling), which is an abnormal thickening of the Bones, which might cause increased Fractures, and possible Blood Cell problems like Anemia, owing to the fact Bone Marrow produces Blood Cells, so thicker Bones could potentially lead to reduced Marrow levels.
It should be mentioned that men can get it too, though this is not something related necesarily to Bone decline, as it can occur in 3 ways, the worst of which can be had by infants and can be fatal to them.
4. Weightlifting also helps to strengthen connective tissues, and improve things like Metabolism and therefore things like Thyroid activity, owing to the increased levels of muscle mass and decreased Fat. It should be pointed out, that this needs to happen with a good diet. Eat poorly, and such results will happen poorly.
5. Women lifting weights is NOT I repeat NOT wrong, UNLESS, you do it badly, with innapropriate technique and methods.
The only thing wrong with Women lifting weights, is anyone who says it's wrong, and most of those are probably sedentary people, who know diddly squat about lifting weights at all, and should therefore address their own potential health problems, not criticise other peoples health wants.
If anyone has an issue with a woman sporting 12" Arms, that's their problem not the woman's.
6. If you want to lose weight the best way you can, you MUST I repeat MUST weight lift as part of the process.
Good diet is part of the battle, but loads of Cardio instead of some Cardio and Weights, is counterproductive, and dropping from say 250 lbs to 120 lbs is good, but without the extra lean mass and Bone density lifting can give you, your retirement years could look a lot less rosy, and and increased chance of living past 65, from not being overweight, would not be much fun, if your aging body started feeling crummy every time you got out of bed.
If you want to look at people on here who are good rolemodels and lift, then here's some good examples.
Amatlack and Hope4life. Great results even with their health issues, and both to be admired and looked up to as well.
Even JNicole recently got into lifting more, and already has some decent Arm Curves, to name but one positive point
The bottom line here is, if you're a woman who isn't lifting weights, and has no physical reason(s) why you cant, you're potentially setting yourself up for a poorer quality of old age
, and if you are someone doing that, and doing it properly, then you should be PROUD
of it, and NEVER have to justify it to anyone.
The ignorant who don't understand it and think it's wrong, will almost certainly learn the hard way. The ones who want to learn, will potentially benefit, not just now but later in life too.
Which one are you?