Confused About Weight

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

99munsea94
STARTING OUT

Confused About Weight

Post by 99munsea94 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to quickly get others' opinions about current body composition, because it's been confusing the hell out of me.
stats:
Height - 6ft
Weight - 14 st 8lbs
Body fat %, measured using calipers - 15-17%
In terms of exercise, I've been at the gym consistently for 2.5yrs, and more recently I've been putting emphasis on improving aerobic fitness (just in from a 15k run, incidentally). But I'm still under the impression that I'm overweight!? When I Google elite athletes like C. Ronaldo, R. Nadal, etc., they all seem to be around the 12 stone mark. I'm the best part of 3 stone heavier than them, and I can't seem to get any lower than 14 stone--that is, when really trying to create caloric deficit. What's the deal here?
I am by no means muscular, it should be noted.

Am I being delusional and not realising I'm actually overweight? I'm even starting to question whether I've been wearing the correct clothing sizes (lol), which give me impression I'm leaner than I am.

Finally, I just took a bmi test there; and it's saying at 27.7, 95% of people age (21) have better bmi's.

Apologises for the length, and thanks for any feedback in advance!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Confused About Weight

Post by Boss Man »

Hi 99munsea94, good to speak to you.

No need to apologise for anything and no it's not unreasonable to try for something along the lines of what you're talking about.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
99munsea94
STARTING OUT

Post by 99munsea94 »

Boss Man,

diet is definitely the one thing that let's me down. I mean, I'm not ever binging on cookies, crisps, and so forth, but I've never went as far as counting calories/macros stringently. I'd just find that extremely laborious and time consuming, but it's seeming more and more like there isn't an alternative?

If I were cutting, I'd basically just eyeball foods I'm eating, thus consciously ensuring I'm consuming less--and I'd be gauging progress with scales.
I'd say the foods I do eat are pretty good: more often than not, I'll have porridge, oatmeal, or toast and eggs for first meal; perhaps pasta with canned tomatoes for lunch; and then whatever parents serve for dinner, which is typically always a healthy meal (chicken with rice and veg, etc.).

You'll have noticed that I didn't give times for meals in the preceeding paragraph, and for good reason. Something that has always let me down is sleeping schedule. Sometimes I'm asleep by 11pm; other times I'm still wide awake till 4/5am (I can get away with this atm as I'm still a student). I'm guessing this has a massive impact on things? Like not having meal one until 1pm in afternoon first day because I slept through the morning, compared to 7am breakfast the preceeding day. (I'm trying to rectify this problem, though.)

I've read a lot about eating 6 smaller meals a day, but again, that seems like a lot of effort. I've also read various sources that purport there to be no benefits to eating smaller, more frequent meals. But then again--on the Web at least--scientific studies are often contradictory in nature.

Do you agree with the commonly cited phrase "It's 80% what you eat, 20% exercise"?

99munsea94.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think that statement has some validity yes, though I don't think you can necessarily determine these things with exacting percentages.

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

Certain things can be changed however to suit your situation.
bodynvtv
STARTING OUT

Post by bodynvtv »

Hi 99munsea94,

One of the reasons that Renaldo & Nadal stay so lean is because of the high intensity style of training that they do. I have seen overweight marathon runners and it doesn't make sense to most people's logic. The human body is very adaptive and resilient. When you train with the same intensity and style, the body adapts very quickly and eventually finds a way to provide only enough fuel to train without tapping into the fat stores the body so desperately wants to hang on to.

I hope that helps,

Regards,
BODYNV.TV