How many calories?

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cuchulain
STARTING OUT

How many calories?

Post by cuchulain »

Long story short. Used to be in relatively good shape/health. Over the last few years I quit working out while still eating horribly and gained a considerable amount of weight. I have been unemployed for the last 6 months and let myself get even worse. I am 45, 5'9'' and weigh 305lbs. I finally got back to the gym a little over a month ago and have gotten into the habit of going again. I do a TBW every other day with HIIT elliptical after and an hour of elliptical on the off days half HIIT and half regular and 1 day off per week. biggest weakness is food. I quit smoking years ago, don't drink anymore, and gave up other vices and they were all easy compared to giving up food. I am trying to eat better. I do pretty good most of the day but evenings I eat even when I'm not hungry and nothing even remotely considered good.
I am in the process of creating a menu I will try and stick to, question is with age and workout what is the minimum amount of calories per day. Right now I am more concerned with weight loss more than body building until I get healthier latest bloodwork has high cholesterol levels and pre diabetes which through good eating and workouts can be brought back into range. Not to mention job interviews don't go as well for a fat man. First impressions are everything when it comes to getting hired from a pool of eligable candidates.
Anyway short story went long. Question: How few calories a day for me to remain healthy while doing the workouts that I do and get the best results. Thanks for all the help.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How many calories?

Post by Boss Man »

I'd stick to around 2,500 a day. If you're not overcarbing and keeping Carbs to no more than 30-40% I think you'll be fine.

Sedentary males need around 2,000 a day anyway, so you'll be giving yourself another 500 to burn.

Be aware of rapid weight loss. Initially it might be water, but some of it could be be added Fat and muscle, and long-term, rapid weight loss could contrigute to loose skin.

If you find you do lose more tan about 4lbs a week in the firts 2-3 weeks, add another 300 calories back in, at around 50 calories per meal, to hopefully stabilise things, then if at some point you plateau, take them back out, so you'd not be slightly overeating in a situation when the calories would not be needed.

Though I think 2,500 a ay will be okay.
Rupert
STARTING OUT

Post by Rupert »

Hi!
you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose a pound of fat....Exercise more. At your weight, you would burn 300 calories in only 30 minutes....You should have a daily average of exercising of 30 minutes to maintain weight, one hour to lose half a pound of fat reserves a week, and two hours to lose one pound of fat reserves a week ,each pound of fat reserves is 3,500 calories of exercising... Basically, forget about the 2 pounds of fat reserves loss/week. You can barely exercise for 2 hours a day if you don’t eat for it, since you can only eat enough to cover your BMR......
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

I currently have 3 clients at around your weight or even a little more, so I'll recommend the same thing I do with them. Consume no less than 8 calories per pound of body weight of you will seriously slow your metabolism, follow a 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein diet. Try to get all your nutritional needs with fresh unprocessed natural foods. Spread the calories out over 3 meals and 3 snacks. Save the last snack for when your willpower is the weakest. Make it something like no sugar popsicles, sugar free low fat frozen yogurt etc.

Cheers,