STARTER HELP!!

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: STARTER HELP!!

Post by Boss Man »

Some cardio can build muscle, like sprints for example, or possible stuff like interval stuff on an incline, but in reality most cardio has little to no anabolic effects and if you overdo it, it can have catabolic effects.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by garethlello1979 »

The end of week 12 stats are in:

Weight 190.2 down 2.8lbs
Stomach - 106cm no change
Waist - 97cm - Down 1.5cm

Not bad i guess considering i have only been doing cardio. I tried lighter weight but whilst i had no pain with elbow i did feel it strain a little so im rsigned to total rest with it. Hopefully anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks and the elbow is back im bk hardcore lol!
BcoolNgreat
STARTING OUT

Post by BcoolNgreat »

Hi Gareth,

Don't try to do it too quickly which could be harmful and injurious. Eat a balanced diet by moderately. Enjoy your chocolates and cakes or a pizza in small quantities and no so often.

Drink water instead of any kind of fizz. Cut down your coffee for one cup a day and drink it with sugar and milk.

Don' buy your food. Take fresh fruit, cheese, a fresh vegetable salad and yes you need starch -so a some bread. Be careful not to have too much of the bread.

Cut down on the starch which includes cakes, pies, and the like.

Out of your 3 main meals, have meat for only one of them- preferably for dinner. Don't buy your dinner on the way home after work. Allow yourself the treat of 2 days a week for a take-a-way or at restaurant.

Cut down on the red meat.

Workout 5-6 days a week at a gym or otherwise.

Don't just sit and watch TV; do some simple exercises for about ten minutes intermittently.

Keep focused to do it. Have a target. But remember, you won't lose weight like coming down the stairs. It is slow and comes in blocks. So be patient.

I am sure, you'll be fine. :thumb:
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Hi guys just one question i wanted to ask.

Does it make any difference how i work as currently i do 3 spin classes a week and 2 weights sessions split upper and lower.

Thats 5 sessions altogether but is it better to do one session a day so i work out 5 days a week or do a weights session after spin class and essentially do a double session meaning i only go to the gym 3 days a week.

Is there any difference between the 2 different ways of working out?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well there is some sort of difference yes.

The question is whether you could have the energy required to lift hard after a grueling spin class.

In general this is the way cardio is view by many in relation to weights, from best scenario to least scenario.

1. Weights one day cardio the 24-48 hours later.

2. Weight early in the day cardio several hours later.

3. Weights first, cardio straight after.

4. Cardio first, weights after.

The other consideration then is how intense are the two workouts. Are they like what some people might do on 5 day split system, where you'll get hypertrophy occurring and muscle gains and retention by the time you do that workout again, or are the two workouts only intense enough that both must be done 2x a week?
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Well intensity wise i always push myself as hard as possible as im eating lower calories as need to lose weight as got another 30lbs in 30 weeks to go and looking to get flat stomached ready for holiday the USA next June. When i get back i should hopefully be ready to start building muscle and up the calories.

I have a couple of times done the routine after a spin class but found that i ache a lot more than if i split the classes out.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Right new year new diet!

Breakfast:

Porridge or wholemeal toast glass soy milk

Snack:

Small portion of almonds

Lunch:

Chicken/Tuna/Spinach/Tomato/Beetroot/Sweetcorn/Cucumber

Snack:

Low fat greek yoghurt

Evening Meal:

Pork/Veg/Mash
Mince/Mushroom/Tomatoes/Onion
Fish Stir Fry
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

hopefully i am getting the protein in there required for muscle growth as on weights day i will be having a protein shake with creatine post workout.

Im hoping that i can transform body in time for month in chicago from JUne 11th
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Are you planning to use an all in one product, or just stacking free form creatine with a protein powder?
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Im stacking so i have a chocolate protein powder and stacking with creatine for a post workout shake and am giving CLA a go.

Ive got 5 months to go from 30% body fat down to 15%
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good shout on stacking, as all in one's are inflexible for most peoples needs.

As for the fat percentage time frame why 5 months, are you doing this for a specific reason?
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Yes im going for dream holiday to America for 3 weeks in the 11th June and want to be in the best shape of adult life.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Hi guys wondered what you thought on the below.

Do i continue doing weights with HIIT training with a low calorie diet or would the diet below be ok as it works out to be 2000 calories normal and about 2600-2700 on a gym day and is basically high protien to aid muscle growth and low fat.

Or if you think any tweaks would be required

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs made with 2 medium eggs and 200g of baked beans approx 500 calories

Snack - Tuna/sweetcorn small portion with healthy fried fruit and seeds/buts approx 500 calories

Lunch - Salad with 125gr chicken breast, tomatoe, cucumber small sprimkling of low fat grated cheese spinach around 500 calories

snack - small portion cashew/almond/brazil buts with low fat greek yorhurt

evening - Stir fry with steak/chicken/pork fish/fish meat with steamed veg mash potatoe/ low fat mince with noodles or brown rice tomatoe peppers pnion

then gym nights have a protein shake and some malt loaf
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Seems fine, but remember the tuna is recommended at 3 portions a week owing to the mercury content, so it's advisable not o teat it every day and swap it for other things, but you can have stuff like ham, beef, turkey, pork or chicken from a packet or have pre-cooked chicken breast as alternatives.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Is the increase in calories ok to aid building muscle whilst trying to drop bodyfar percentage as i am wary of building muscle on top of fat and just becoming bigger.

Its 17 weeks left until i go away and im trying to lose a minimum 10%