Thin but pouch of fat lower stomach

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

rochelle94
STARTING OUT

Thin but pouch of fat lower stomach

Post by rochelle94 »

I'm a 21 year old woman who's living abroad (Spain and France), but I wondered whether you could offer some advice via email.

I'm slim, and waist (above the navel) is very narrow, 22.5 inches (22.25 if I hold the tape measure I little tighter) but I seem to have a little pooch of fat on the bottom of stomach, a bit like in this cartoon image, but maybe smaller (the 'pooch'): https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... B650%3B300

measurements are 30.B, 22.5, 35.5, and I'm 5ft2, so I don't think I am 'overweight', but I wonder if there is anyway to tone the bottom of stomach, without losing weight? The only time the bottom of stomach was completely flat was when I was 4kg underweight a few years ago.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Thin but pouch of fat lower stomach

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Rochelle, good to speak with you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
rochelle94
STARTING OUT

Post by rochelle94 »

Hi 'Boss man',

I eat generally healthy foods (usually grilled fish or seafood), salad or grilled vegetables (brushed with olive oil). Until about 3 weeks ago, I also used to eat quite a lot of bread (unfortunately, usually white!) but since then I've cut it down a lot. Some days I do still eat it though.

I usually eat a large salad at 11, 12, 1, or 2pm (depending on when I have time - I wake up late in Spain!) and sometimes (if I'm bad) 2 or 3 white bread rolls in the afternoon. I have a large salad with fish, seafood or chicken breast (skinless) in the evening, and then another small salad (tuna) at midnight (I don't go to bed until 2/3am!). Sometimes I have rice cakes (3-4) with a drink before bed.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Rochelle.

I'd limit your fish intake because of the metal content especially tuna, as it has high metal content.

I'd limit you to 100g fish a day, but you can do this in one of two ways.

1. You have the whole amount with 1 meal and combine it with one or two carb sources.

2. You have 2 meals with a 50g portion of fish in them, then you have something like lentils, peas, beans, mushrooms or rice, as they have protein / amino acid content in them, but also carbs, so you use those to top up your protein content, then have a carb source with the meal.

You just need to remember that as you're having carbs from one of those things, not to have as much carbs from a carb source as you might if you were eating a 100g portion of fish.

If you live in Spain you should have plenty of option you can use for snacks and to make up snacks, like oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt.

I would eat 6 meals around 2.5-3 hours apart, with your first meal being within 1 hour of getting up and as a sedentary female needs around 1,800 calories a day, I'd say you could be looking to aim for that many on non-workout days and around 200-400 above that on workout days.

What sort of exercise are you doing at the moment?
rochelle94
STARTING OUT

Post by rochelle94 »

In terms of exercise, I only do brisk walking.....About 2 hours most days, some days slightly more, others slightly less.

I've thought of completely cutting carbs altogether for a few weeks.
rochelle94
STARTING OUT

Post by rochelle94 »

stomach looks a bit like the photo on the left, but smaller:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... B640%3B374

Like in the photo, the top part (the waist) is flat, but then there is a slight bulge on the lower abs. waist is only 22 ins (or 22.25/22.5 if I hold the tape measure more loosely).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The walking is good. Do you have access to a gym, because if not I can modify your exercise to be done at home.
rochelle94
STARTING OUT

Post by rochelle94 »

Hi Bossman.

I will have access to a gym in 2 weeks when I go to France. The only problem is, I'm not sure whether I can afford a membership (I'm working as an au-pair and won't have much money...I will try to pay for it though).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I think we can wait a bit until you're there then assess the circumstances.