Please help, I don't know what to do!

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SnertCat
STARTING OUT

Please help, I don't know what to do!

Post by SnertCat »

Hello,
I am a forty year old female, five feet seven inches tall and I need to lose about 30 pounds. Most of excess weight is carried on lower half and since I have started the Change, I now have excess fat, too.

The problem I have is that I have had back problems since I was nine years old and as I get older, they are much more painful. I tried doing yoga, stretching, sit ups, crunches, you name it. The last time I tried, I threw back out for three weeks. Also, I have plantar fasciitis that has only been cured wearing Birk sandals. I cannot wear any other type of shoe without killing feet. I had knee surgery about eleven years ago. The doctor told me that I had the knees of an eighty year old and to stay away from cycling, treadmills, etc. The pain was so bad last year, I had to immobilize knee for a couple of weeks. I also have neck pain and migraines. I do not eat a lot of food...the most I eat is a small plate of whatever is for any meal. meals generally consist of a half to a single portion of protein, a single to double portion of veggies. I eat very little starch. I might have a glass of coke once a week. I eat a banana or an apple every evening.
Last summer, I tried replacing lunch with an almond milk smoothie made with fruit and protein powder, but I lost nothing and actually gained 5 pounds!

What can I do to lose weight? I am truly motivated to do this, but I'm afraid with physical limitations and age catching up to me, that it seems impossible. I just can't seem to exercise without putting myself in dire pain.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Please help, I don't know what to do!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Snertcat, good to talk to you.

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns, but there is certainly something we can do for you.

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts).

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this using just body weight.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps. If this is a bit of an issue then try hamstring curls, 2 sets, 10 reps, resting the legs on a folded towel so your knees just hang over the back to permit mobility.

Good mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

If you have any issues doing the exercises, then we can try to find a way of adjusting things for you.