Cardio Question

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

icyberpenguin
STARTING OUT

Cardio Question

Post by icyberpenguin »

Hey everyone I'm new to the website. Anyways I wanted to get some input from you guys on what you may think. Is it better to do a 90 minute cardio session once a day or to split it up into two separate sessions 45 minutes a piece? Usually I've been doing 90 minute sessions everyday but these past couple of days I've been separating the sessions into two individual sessions once in the morning and another in the evening. logic is that I get two metabolism boosts during the day instead of just one but then again I'm new to this. main goal is shed away weight and most importantly all these pounds. Tell me what you think and thanks! :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Cardio Question

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Icy, good to talk to you.

I would say that it doesn't matter too much, other than it's all about the recovery time between two daily sessions, versus the recovery time between one session and the next days session and also the nutrition you're taking in as well, as you will be burning quite a lot of calories with two sessions, but you then need to be making sure that you're fueling adequately for your next session.

The only way to develop a decent understanding of this, would be to have a fixed caloric intake on a day by day basis, train twice a day for about a month and weigh weekly first thing in the morning, then perhaps train twice as long once a day for a month and see how that affects things, as then you'll be in a position to isolate the change and see what works best, as adjusting calories in this situation would potentially affect things, making it harder to understand which type of training mentality will be more suitable for you.

What I would say is that you don't need to e doing quite as much as you are doing, so I would cut the two sessions down to 30 minutes at a time and the one full length session to 1hr and also allow yourself 1-2 days off, so don't necessarily do it every day. If you're taking the couple of days off, i.e. 3 days straight, one off, 2 days straight, one off, then cut calories on the off days by around 10-15%, as you shouldn't need quite as many and then the eating approach you have for the training days and the non-training days could be maintained, if you're going to experiment with the training approach as I suggested, in relation to not altering the eating approach you have on a weekly basis.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Cardio Question

Post by Fitafter50 »

Hi, Icy,

I agree with Boss Man that you are doing more cardio than you need to be doing. Mixing it up would be preferable for several reasons: it helps prevent overuse injuries( and boredom), it keeps your body from adapting to the current work load, and it makes you more fit overall. You could do cardio 2 days a week, strength training 2 days a week, and yoga 2 days a week, for instance. It doesn't even need to be 90 min. A half hour strength training session is a great start. Boss has often posted a good starter program for using dumbbells, but if you don't have equipment, there are plenty of good body weight exercises to start with.