Need advise/strategy for getting back into shape at 40

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

initialsBB
STARTING OUT

Need advise/strategy for getting back into shape at 40

Post by initialsBB »

So, a little older than 40...about to turn 42, I had put on weight from poor diet, lack of exercise, stress, and lack of sleep and now I find myself in a unique position that I can NOT pass up to lose weight. I recently changed jobs from high stress to low stress, and I would like to take this opportunity to lose weight and get back into shape. Mostly concerned with fat loss at the moment. Currently I am around 6' tall, and weigh around 211lbs...I started to lose a little weight already. I work m-f, 8-5 (ish) and need to pick up the ladyfriend in the evenings, so i have some time after work for working out. The good news; work provides breakfast and lunch and snacks, all healthy..you name it, it's probably here....there is an onsite gym, treadmills, weight machines, etc. So I have an hour to work out after work and real control over what I eat. The bad news: I have to idea what to do....I have been trying to eat eggs with pico, some bacon and sausage, and perhaps a tortilla for breakfast, for lunch I try to eat a plate of meat protein and veggies (try to avoid any fried foods, or carbs) I also go to the gym after work and do treadmill for an hour of 10 min walk, then 5 min run, then alternate back and forth....

Am I on the right path? Should i eat differently? Should I exercise differently? I have access to so much and I feel it would be a tremendous waste to pass up on this opportunity.

Looks for advice here :(
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need advise/strategy for getting back into shape at 40

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Initials, good to speak to you.

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

As for what you lift, go for the second smallest dumbbells on bench press, lunges and squats, the smallest dumbbells on shrugs and the smallest barbell on bent over rows and deadlifts

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.
Buban12
STARTING OUT

Post by Buban12 »

You have to think about better nutrition. You are at a certain age that you have to have a nice nutrition habits and also some exercises. You are not old at all, so you can exercise too. In fact, there are a lot of bodybuilder who are 40+ and are still competing. But don't worry, you don't have to compete :bugeyes: .
Start with walking and jogging every day. Never miss a day of walking and jog like 3 times a week. After you are used to that, if you have time, join a gym and start working out, slowly but surely. Find some exercise plan on the internet and begin with it.
Don't forget about your nutrition, it's as important as exercising.
Here is how a day of eating should look like:

1. Breakfast: 3 ounces oatmeal with 1 cup of low fat milk
2. Snack: green tea and 10 almonds
3. Lunch: 3 ounces salmon with salad
4. Snack: 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 teaspoon peanut butter
5. Dinner: 3 ounces chicken breasts with 1/2 rice

I can provide a link of beginners workout, it's something that I used and it's great for every beginner, no matter your age. I will try and post the link so you can check it. If I'm not allowed, I'm sorry..

http://www.weighthealthpro.com/fitness- ... out-guide/
amywads
STARTING OUT

Post by amywads »

though i have been athletic and fit through most of 45 years. through staying in top of the latest fitness and nutrition information as well as personal experience. i have helped many peers achieve and maintain a higher level
of endurance energy and fitness increasing as we age. i myself am in better shape now than in 2os partly due to the fact i havent lived the late night single life in many years:)
so back to the question
i think the single best starting point is to find an in home fitness routine you can stick with. and be consistent and dont deprive nutritionals
i also think achieving weight or fat loss and upping the bodys use of carbs is best achieved in am fasted cardio and body weight routines
i use couches chairs wood floors benches pinic tables no gym no commute to equipment and as we age exercise should be functional making everyday tasks easier
start with fifteen minutes of alternating high low intensity whether its jump rope stair climbing toe taps off a bench or using socks on wood floor
then increase 5 mins every few days until you work up to 45 mins of various HITT exercises
diet: Whole unprocessed foods. good carbs good fats keep metabolism fired and less likely to binge
breakfast : have the most carbs after workout
a smoothie or soy milk or almond milk or a plain greek yogurt berries and flax oil with three brown rice cakes or sourdough bread of cup of kasha
( rice cakes are high Gi but help refill the glycogen quickly to heal muscles)
snack a few almonds or 1/2 ounce pure dark chocolate
lunch sweet potato or black bean pasta tofu chicken or salmon topped with 1/4 avocado natural salsa and steamed spinach
anack cup almond milk unsweetened
dinner cup basmati rice steamed zucchini brocooli asparagus with a protein or beans. olive or coconut oil
snack tbsp peanut butter mixed with honey and cocoa powder freeze a few minutes and indulge
or a frozen banana blended with carob powder and vanills