Weight Loss Advice

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Rhya
STARTING OUT

Weight Loss Advice

Post by Rhya »

Hello,

I'm trying to lose weight to enlist in the military but I do not have any money to buy equipment (I have a gazelle cardio machine, some weights and a bike) or weight loss program foods etc, but I do have all the time in the world to exercise. However I have no idea where to start, or rather if what I'm doing now is "good". I've never exercised before, though childhood was full of bike riding, running etc. I started up in late July with walking with a backpack that has a water jug in it for about 40 minutes a day, as recruiter said it could help, though sometimes I go a whole hour or two if rain/a storm isn't inbound. On top of this, I started doing assisted pushups (as real ones are too difficult right now). I do three sets of 30 every day and I've noticed today it was a lot easier than it was when I started, but I don't know if this is good or bad or just in head.

I've thrown out junk food (soda, candy, chips, excess food), eating in what I think is calorie intake and drinking a lot of water, but what else can I do to improve weight loss healthily in the position I am in financially? Do I absolutely need access to gym and gym equipment for weight loss to be possible? Oh, and I weigh 157lb and am a 5'1 female. recruiter said I need to be at least 130lb before I can enlist.

Any ideas for this struggling person? Thanks and bye for now! :wave:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight Loss Advice

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Rhya, good to talk to you.

No it is not strictly necessary to join a gym for the purposes of weight loss, but it can certainly help providing you do the right thing(s).

In relation to your diet what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

What kind of weights do you have and what do they weigh?
Rhya
STARTING OUT

Post by Rhya »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Rhya, good to talk to you.

No it is not strictly necessary to join a gym for the purposes of weight loss, but it can certainly help providing you do the right thing(s).

In relation to your diet what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

What kind of weights do you have and what do they weigh?
Hello and thank you for the reply Boss Man,

I eat twice a day, as I normally never feel hungry until dinner. Breakfast is usually made of eggs, unflavored oatmeal, brown rice with broccoli or fresh peas, or whole-grain, gluten-free cereal like "puffs" or "flakes" that have oats or walnuts in them or even raisins.

Dinner is either chicken breast with vegetables, salad (with avocados, peppers, peas, cranberries, almonds etc), bean soup (kidney beans, lentils), brown rice with chicken and green beans, pasta with vegetables, and chili (kidney beans, lentils, beans, peppers etc).

It's a bit difficult to find healthy alternatives that are affordable, but I saw these breakfast and dinner meals commonly referred by weight loss sites and "experts" so I thought it was better than nothing or eating what I was before.

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, 40 lbs. I can mix and match the weights for different options. The set is called "Gold's Gym Adjustable Cast Dumbbell Set".
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts).

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this using the weight you've got.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Military Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

As for the weight I'd use the bars without any weight for shrugs and the other exercises except planks by adding the smallest amount of weight possible to both bars.

Then you increase the weight used by the smallest amount every 2 weeks and increase planks by 5 seconds a week until you're doing 90 seconds of it.
Rhya
STARTING OUT

Post by Rhya »

Boss Man wrote:This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts).

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this using the weight you've got.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Military Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

As for the weight I'd use the bars without any weight for shrugs and the other exercises except planks by adding the smallest amount of weight possible to both bars.

Then you increase the weight used by the smallest amount every 2 weeks and increase planks by 5 seconds a week until you're doing 90 seconds of it.
I'm sorry for the delay! ISP was having problems in area so I couldn't get any internet access for a few days.

I did not expect such a reply, but I am very very grateful for it! Not only for the food suggestions—as that is very helpful, especially about the bread—but for the workout routine you made for me! recruiter wasn't allowed to give me suggestions, so I was really struggling but this is very easy to understand and I'm actually about to get off the PC (morning here) to start the routine now!

Thank you so much Boss Man, thank you! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

:thumb:
raygentry
STARTING OUT

Post by raygentry »

You can join weight loss programs for best results. Don't forget to take tips from fitness coach. You will get good output with healthy nutrition diet and the workout which is beneficial according to your body.
PulseFit
STARTING OUT

Post by PulseFit »

I saw some crazy advice in here. Now, I will preface this by saying not all fitness coaches are the same. I am a personal trainer certified by the National Academy of Sports Medicine. A good personal trainer can be an amazing tool to guide you through your fitness goals. The first way to get things moving in the right direction is figure out your TDEE or your stasis amount of calories you burn a day without exercising. Prepping and weighing your food is important. Tools like myfitnesspal ap are great. From that TDEE, starting with a small caloric deficit and slowly working out based off your macros aka your daily intake of protein, carbs, and fats. There are TDEE calculators online. It's a good place to start. Log your food! Cookie cutter doesn't work. You're not the same as everyone else. Diets are different for everyone.

Any specific questions I'd be happy to answer.
topazann
STARTING OUT

Post by topazann »

Hi. I'm new here.
This is the plan I followed to drop 70 pounds and now keep it off!
I never eat over 1500 calories a day. Drink 8 glasses of ice water a day. Stay away from soda!
Stick to the following foods: whole grains, oatmeal, egg whites, fresh fruits and veggies, low fat dairy (string cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, skim milk or vanilla soy milk), only lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey, love salmon, only eat red meat once a week, olive oil is the only oil I use on anything, peanut butter and almond butter in moderation, whey protein shakes are also really good. I make these with frozen fruit, vanilla soy milk and whey protein powder which I purchase at the health food store.
.I have one treat a day which is an ounce of extra dark chocolate. Make sure it is at least 70% caco for the health benefits.
Tell yourself over and over in your head “I Can Do This”. Time and patience is what it takes. This will not happen overnight and it’s not a race. The goal is to be healthy and active…not skinny. I take vitamin C and a Super B complex each evening as well.