Fat Around Button Area?

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cassiegose
VETERAN

Re: Fat Around Button Area?

Post by cassiegose »

Hi Martin, :)

That workout looks killer man. You definitely don't need to do any more than you did. Do you feel like you could lift more weight than you're doing or do you feel like you're really having to work to get those weights up? You shouldn't be sore until about 24-48 hours after the workout.

I like military press... one of favorites. Not sure what you mean by having to be careful that your shoulders don't turn out like a big blob?

Regarding your question from the other day... Bloating isn't always a serious thing but could be a sign of a food intolerance or allergy if you're noticing that youre frequently bloated after eating certain foods.
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

cassiegose wrote:Hi Martin, :)

That workout looks killer man. You definitely don't need to do any more than you did. Do you feel like you could lift more weight than you're doing or do you feel like you're really having to work to get those weights up? You shouldn't be sore until about 24-48 hours after the workout.

I like military press... one of favorites. Not sure what you mean by having to be careful that your shoulders don't turn out like a big blob?

Regarding your question from the other day... Bloating isn't always a serious thing but could be a sign of a food intolerance or allergy if you're noticing that youre frequently bloated after eating certain foods.
Thanks for the feedback makes me feel better :), Yeah i do feel like i have to work, as some reps i can only do 6 and 7's, squats barbell i could do not too hard, only problem of course is getting the weight above head singly.

I like military press too, it's just i was reading somewhere about bodybuilders that only stick to that as their shoulder exercise, which i don't, but it basically said they overdo it, and when you have you're shoulders wide apart (like you're going to do shoulder press) the delts look like big blobs? Hopefully this isn't something i have to worry about though.

Thanks about the bloating, wasn't too bloated yesterday, a bit full after eating yesterdays dinner, so could be the beans, but yeah nothing that bothers me too much.

Day 330

High protein breakfast, protein shake with 200ml semi skimmed milk, 3 wheatabix with 200ml semi skimmed milk, maybe next time i'll mix in the powder with cereal, only had the shake for breakfast as going nans soon and wanted a decent amount of protein.

497cal 41.8g protein 55.6g carb, 8.4g fat

:)

Going to go on bike in a min and do a steady 40minutes cardio.

did 40mins cardio, burned 660 cal, so prob around 330, which hopefully will help make up for anything i eat that maybe i shouldn't :)

Had some chicken pieces, probably 25g protein, 110 cal, and a banana 100 calorie, trying get some protein in incase i don't get much at nans.

Roast dinner is a big plate but with vegetables, potatoes, pork i think, some yorkshires, not sure but id say 1000 calories is way more than the plate is worth, there big plates, but it's not like burgers, the food is good, id say possibly 600 calories at a guess perhaps.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

MartinBoy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback makes me feel better :), Yeah i do feel like i have to work, as some reps i can only do 6 and 7's, squats barbell i could do not too hard, only problem of course is getting the weight above head singly.

I like military press too, it's just i was reading somewhere about bodybuilders that only stick to that as their shoulder exercise, which i don't, but it basically said they overdo it, and when you have you're shoulders wide apart (like you're going to do shoulder press) the delts look like big blobs? Hopefully this isn't something i have to worry about though.

Thanks about the bloating, wasn't too bloated yesterday, a bit full after eating yesterdays dinner, so could be the beans, but yeah nothing that bothers me too much.

Day 330

High protein breakfast, protein shake with 200ml semi skimmed milk, 3 wheatabix with 200ml semi skimmed milk, maybe next time i'll mix in the powder with cereal, only had the shake for breakfast as going nans soon and wanted a decent amount of protein.

497cal 41.8g protein 55.6g carb, 8.4g fat

:)

Going to go on bike in a min and do a steady 40minutes cardio.

did 40mins cardio, burned 660 cal, so prob around 330, which hopefully will help make up for anything i eat that maybe i shouldn't :)

Had some chicken pieces, probably 25g protein, 110 cal, and a banana 100 calorie, trying get some protein in incase i don't get much at nans.

Roast dinner is a big plate but with vegetables, potatoes, pork i think, some yorkshires, not sure but id say 1000 calories is way more than the plate is worth, there big plates, but it's not like burgers, the food is good, id say possibly 600 calories at a guess perhaps.
I didn't realize you were lifting the barbell over your head to do those squats (not sure how I missed this). Is there any way you can do the squats with the dumbells at your side instead of the barbell? Lifting that barbell over your head worries me as I don't want you to injure yourself.

I wouldn't worry about the military press Martin.
oscarmadison
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by oscarmadison »

I didn't realize you were lifting the barbell over your head to do those squats (not sure how I missed this).
I myself did a few rounds of squats a similar way awhile back and was amazed at the extra efforts it took to complete the sets and reps.

standing barbell on chest to a squat then standing to a press, rinse repeat. i'm tired out typing it. actually felt like i was really burning calories double time

it wasn't normal squat only weight either.
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

Im back, as for the squats, i do normally do them with dumbbells at the side, but sometimes do them on barbell to swap things round.

Had roast dinner - think the meat was pork, couple yorkshires, vegetables - greens, colliflower, roast potatoes.

For desert, (i didn't have) was ice cream with choclate gatto cake, i put this off though.

Had about 12 crab/fish/ocean sticks, whatever you call them.

Also, on way home, got given chocolate, crunchie bar, mars and a kit kat, i had the crunchie because it was lower calories than mars (50), but some broke off so prob had about 130 calories from the chocolate, maybe im being stupid, but i don't feel that bad about it, i mean what's bothering me? The fact i feel it's going to make me get fat, or stop the progress ive had, doubt it realisticly, anyway had some chicken pieces when got back, just hope ive had enough protein and get back in routine tomorow. Also some fresh orange juice.

Which.. is chest and triceps, i fancy trying this workout out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQAh7m4xsMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But of course it's only chest not triceps, i mean i don't do no incline, cause i can't, however i have one of those big balls (nothing dirty here lol), that you can use for ab crunches, maybe i can get involved using it somehow. instead of barbell bench press, i could do it on the floor and do dumbbell press, but doubt i can lift as much, i just really want to put 150% effort in and make big gains, i don't want this to take no longer than it should :)

Thanks.

Terrible hayfever today, got to get some medicine, been rubbin eyes all day, nose is itchy and mouth is sore, sneezing, eyes are now bloodshot horrible.
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

Day 331

Breakfast, some chicken strips, and cottage cheese for protein source and 3 shredded wheat with 200ml semi skimmed milk.

423 cal, 29.3g protein, 55.3g carb, 4.7g fat

2 wholemeal slices with chicken strips and cottage cheese as a sandwich, got another 1 for later.
270 calories, 25g protein, 30g carb.

In from college, going to aim to do chest and triceps workout today although id like to try the killer chest workout it's missing the tri's.

Going to watch the world cup football first though, as it's stuffy at the moment and quite overcast looking to rain.
Working out on the decking which is made of wood, ive put down 6 slabs (3 each side) to help me self spotting whilst doing dumbbell flys, however problem is the slabs are quite heavy, id say 30kg each. There on there now so hopefully won't damage it but it can't be good putting all that weight on wood, any other good things i can use to help self spotting dumbbell weights?
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

About half a banana 60 cal, 2 ryvitia crispbread (wholemeal) and a fig.
171 cal, 2g protein, 30g carb.

2 wholemeal slices with chicken strips and cottage cheese as a sandwich
270 calories, 25g protein, 30g carb.

Going to do weights in a min.

Workout Chest and triceps
Chest
3 sets of push ups, the first set i layed over the aerobic ball with torso hanging off and did 20 reps, as i felt it would do more incline/decline chest? However it just seemed like it was too easy as i had the ball supporting me, so the other 2 sets i did on the floor and did reps 17,13.
3 sets of bench press 54kg - 8,8,6- on this last set i was really trying to get in a extra rep, but i couldn't get the weight back on the rack and it sort of rolled over stomach which was quite dangerous, but im ok.
3 sets of dumbbell press (20kg) - 12,10,10, did these as i wanted more of a chest workout and chest feels just a little bit more pumped than it usually does.
3 sets of dumbbel flys 20kg - 7, lowered the weight to 18kg and did - 7,4. I really don't want to do these again.
Triceps
3 sets of french press (13kg) - 8,8,7.
3 sets of chair dips - 5,4,5.
3 sets of dumbbell kickbacks (standing 14kg) - 10. Again these were easy so i decided to do them whilst kneeling over a chair and did 10kg, last 2 sets reps 10.

Few notes, firstly im not complaining, but i don't want to do this workout session anymore, the shoulders and legs i don't mind, back and biceps is quite good, but this one i feel has been lacking for some time, for example i have been benching 54kg for at least a month and feel this workout session isn't getting me anywhere.
Firstly i don't have much variation for chest, people that do super sets and killer workouts normally do incline, maybe where this is where im missing out, i can't adjust bench to make it go incline, i turn and turn with the spanner and the screws do not loosen, they must be cross threaded or something wrong with them.
The flys i really don't enjoy doing anymore, i know for chest to get maximum results you have to do both the squeezing type (pec dec, flys) and the pushing (bench press, db press) but flys i can't do anywhere near as much weight as i can bench/db press. I dunno if it's the bit of chest at the side that connect it to shoulders, this may sound stupid i know, but there's hardly any muscle there (at the side). I feel if i was to do pec dec than i could do so much more better than flys, but of course that requires a machine, and to be fair i do prefer the old fashioned way, but i don't think there's a subsitute for flys?
Another thing, triceps i don't feel im doing well on these too, chair dips are still in the 4 and sometimes 5 rep range, it was odd how i could do lot of weight standing dumbbell kickbacks, which leads me to think i was doing them wrong and probably damaging elbow joints, so this is another reason i don't want to continue doing this workout session, to prevent any damage which hopefully isn't already done. So im sorry if it seems like im moaning but i get so frustrated when i don't feel ive had an effective workout when i feel i could of done alot better if i did exercises i felt more comfortable with, can you suggest something for me? Again the problem is the chest and tricep workout, others are fine, but maybe it's time i changed things up? Also right wrist is clicking a little whilst moving back and fourth, hopefully that's all though.

However on a bit of a plus, after the workout had a protein shake with half a cup of oats (8 tablespoons, i have the oats on the spoon, i know there's different types like heaped but i just fit on as many oats as i can), and 100ml semi skimmed milk, protein powder was vanilla and it tasted very nice, i want these more often.
322 cal 30.9g protein 32.4g carbs, 6.6g fat

So yeah again i am sorry, hopefully something can be arranged in place of this workout? I gave it a go today although i had doubts as last weeks was bad, but yeah i still don't feel comfortable with this workout as i feel there's no variations and it's just a struggle :(

Dinner - jacket potato, not sure but smallish sized one so id say 150 calories, can of tuna 130 and some brocolli, with a little bit of gravy.

300 calories, 20g carb 30g protein.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Hi Martin,

Re the chest/tricep workout... Keep in mind that things bench press and pushups also work the triceps with the chest. Instead of doing the pushups on the ball you could do them with your hands on your bench to elevate your upper body a bit, and also with your feet on your and hands on ground. These changes will cause the pushups to hit your lower and upper pec muscles (hands on bench works lower chest, feet on bench works upper). You can also experiment with the width of your hands when doing those pushups. Try placing your hands closer together to really hit those triceps. Next time I would do the bench press first and the pushups towards the end of the workout that way your muscles are fresh for the bench. Do you have access to exercise bands? You could always invest in some bands and use those for flys. (http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/vi ... ses&ID=176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). If you're worried that youre doing the chair dips with improper form look up the exerise online and watch a few videos to make sure youre doing them correctly. Have you ever done dumbbell pullovers? Thats another good exercise you could try. Heres a link: http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/exerc ... -pullover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't apologize Martin. Sounds like you just need to change things up a bit. :)
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

Thanks for the feedback Cassie, although push ups are a good exercise, i think you're limited to how much strength and muscle you can gain from it? As it's body weight? I could try that with the bench though, to get a bit of decline in.

As for them bands, they look kinda good, but again how would it work in regards to the weight, or wouldn't i add any? They can't be that expensive as they're bands, but id have to find a suitable place to use them if i bought a pair. I just feel i never work triceps enough, biceps are easily targeted - curls, reverse curls, hammer curls well i find them easy to target.
Is it normal to be doing lower weight with flys? I keep as good form as i can, with elbow a little bit bent, not completely bent though. I agree that i have to change things up, i don't know of any other exercises i could try really, i tried dumbbell pull overs before, but it was kinda akward to do, and the reason being because i couldn't do it the normal way of lying down on bench because the rack where the weight goes is at theside, so i had to lie on it sideways and i got really bad neck ache and didn't feel safe lifting the weight over head like that.

Had a rock cake, prob 100 calories, i know this isn't too good but :(

1/2 Cup oats with semi skimmed milk.
200 calories 8.4g protein, 32.4g carb, 4.7g fat.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

MartinBoy wrote:Thanks for the feedback Cassie, although push ups are a good exercise, i think you're limited to how much strength and muscle you can gain from it? As it's body weight? I could try that with the bench though, to get a bit of decline in.

As for them bands, they look kinda good, but again how would it work in regards to the weight, or wouldn't i add any? They can't be that expensive as they're bands, but id have to find a suitable place to use them if i bought a pair. I just feel i never work triceps enough, biceps are easily targeted - curls, reverse curls, hammer curls well i find them easy to target.
Is it normal to be doing lower weight with flys? I keep as good form as i can, with elbow a little bit bent, not completely bent though. I agree that i have to change things up, i don't know of any other exercises i could try really, i tried dumbbell pull overs before, but it was kinda akward to do, and the reason being because i couldn't do it the normal way of lying down on bench because the rack where the weight goes is at theside, so i had to lie on it sideways and i got really bad neck ache and didn't feel safe lifting the weight over head like that.

Youre right, pushups are great but can be limiting as you can't really add any extra weight. Those bands are actually really good.. might be a good investment for ya?. I have some that cost me $20 for a set of 4. They are actually quite handy as you can attach them and use them all together for added weight or just use one or two for less weight. Plus they aren't all that expensive. You could also use them for those pushups to add weight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RmN6DyZwk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). For the pullovers... they felt really awkward when I first started doing them also but got easier over time. Might give them another try? Use a lighter weight when you're first starting out to get the hang of it so you don't hurt yourself. :)
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

cassiegose wrote:
MartinBoy wrote:Thanks for the feedback Cassie, although push ups are a good exercise, i think you're limited to how much strength and muscle you can gain from it? As it's body weight? I could try that with the bench though, to get a bit of decline in.

Youre right, pushups are great but can be limiting as you can't really add any extra weight. Those bands are actually really good.. might be a good investment for ya?. I have some that cost me $20 for a set of 4. They are actually quite handy as you can attach them and use them all together for added weight or just use one or two for less weight. Plus they aren't all that expensive. You could also use them for those pushups to add weight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RmN6DyZwk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). For the pullovers... they felt really awkward when I first started doing them also but got easier over time. Might give them another try? Use a lighter weight when you're first starting out to get the hang of it so you don't hurt yourself. :)
That seems like a option i could use, i just feel that chest and triceps workout isn't effective at all, i feel even if i somehow managed to get to do bench press incline it's not going to change the problems with flys, if i had lowish weight i could do flys no problem, but of course to gain strength and muscle lower weight isn't the right answer, if im benching say 54kg, i should be benching 27kg each arm for flys? I dunno but i really don't want to do that workout again, the killer workout i posted seemed alright? It's like no rest for 5-8 sets, do you think that would be effective? And maybe i could do arms together, i need to plan it out alot as im really lost and confused right now :evil: :(
Going to do legs and shoulders tomorow anyway, which i don't mind as the exercises aren't a struggle to do and there's variation.
2156 cal
170.2g protein
197.7g carb
20.3g fat

^Around about nutrition today :)
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

MartinBoy wrote:That seems like a option i could use, i just feel that chest and triceps workout isn't effective at all, i feel even if i somehow managed to get to do bench press incline it's not going to change the problems with flys, if i had lowish weight i could do flys no problem, but of course to gain strength and muscle lower weight isn't the right answer, if im benching say 54kg, i should be benching 27kg each arm for flys? I dunno but i really don't want to do that workout again, the killer workout i posted seemed alright? It's like no rest for 5-8 sets, do you think that would be effective? And maybe i could do arms together, i need to plan it out alot as im really lost and confused right now
Going to do legs and shoulders tomorow anyway, which i don't mind as the exercises aren't a struggle to do and there's variation.
2156 cal
170.2g protein
197.7g carb
20.3g fat

^Around about nutrition today
What killer workout are you referring to? I think I'm missing something.

Nutrition doesn't add up... When I added up the carbs, protein, and fat that you listed I get 1648 calories. The fat looks a little low. I would increase the fat in the form of nuts, nut butter, avacado, fish, olive oil, eggs.

Soooo tell me what you're looking for in a workout. I'm assuming you're bored with the full body? Have you thought about doing an upper body lower body split? Doing check, back, arms together and legs and shoulders together? The chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders isn't a bad split either if you're wanting to do 3 days. You could also do something like chest/tris, back/bis, legs/calves, shoulders/abs. Lots of options out there... Just gotta find a program and stick with it for a while. :)
MartinBoy
REGULAR

Post by MartinBoy »

Maybe i missed out a few grams of fat, and protein, but that's near enough what i had, i had some chicken pieces before i went to bed as more protein.

The killer chest workout i was reffering to was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQAh7m4xsMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, however if i did this dunno if i would do it just every week or however.

Well i don't mind the workout im doing now, apart from the chest and triceps part, shoulders and legs has the most variety for me, but again back and biceps isn't a problem, i just don't feel im getting an effective chest and triceps workout and that it would be more beneficial doing something else, the full body i did on saturday, didn't feel sore or nothing but did everything listed, that was fine, no problem but just want to make sure im doing enough, the split sounds like an idea, the only problem with the routine at the moment is the chest and triceps workout, i could probably do flys but like i said using a lower weight is going to get me strength and mass gains.

Day 332
Breakfast, 3 wheatabix with 200ml semi skimmed milk and a can of tuna for protein source.
365 cal 45.6g carb, 32.5g protein, 5g fat

Quite a gap between next food - bout 4-5hours.
Dried fig- 47 calorie, 10g carb
can of red kidney beans with a little tomato ketchup - 250 calories 18.2g protein 43g carb

Workout legs and shoulders
Legs
3 sets of deadlifts 50kg - 9,10,10 - with these i do them with knees bent, well bending knees instead of straight, it's probably harder but hopefully more effective.
3 sets of dumbbell squats (22kgx2) - 10,10,10 with these i feel form wasn't as good as it would of been with using a barbell and it's harder where ive got to carry the weight in hands and i feel it in shoulders, so next time may just do barbell squats and be as careful as i can.
3 sets of dumbbell lunges (22kgx2) - 10,10,10
3 sets of calf raises - 10,10,10

Shoulders
Military Press 40kg - 8,8,8
Vertical Row 25kg - 10,10,10
Reverse Flys (5kgx2) - 10,8,8
Side raises (8kgx2) - 8,7,6 with these left wrist gives in before muscles, for example when i lift the weight to the side it wobbles near the end of sets (left hand).

Good workout overall i feel, with the side raises i watched a video on form and put shoulders back together as much as possible (so blades nearly touching), this is probably the hardest workout, as legs could be a seperate day workout and are hard to workout, im not complaining though, pretty decent session i feel, again hopefully im not overdoing it with shoulders, but i don't think i am.

After had a protein shake mixed with 1/2 cup oats (8tblspoons) and 100ml semi skimmed milk.
322 cal 30.9g protein, 32.4g carb, 4.4g fat.

:D Just need to sort out the chest triceps workout i suppose.

Wholemeal slice 92 calories, 4g protein 15g carb.
Bite of a mars bar id say 30 calories max.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

MartinBoy wrote:Maybe i missed out a few grams of fat, and protein, but that's near enough what i had, i had some chicken pieces before i went to bed as more protein.

The killer chest workout i was reffering to was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQAh7m4xsMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, however if i did this dunno if i would do it just every week or however.

Well i don't mind the workout im doing now, apart from the chest and triceps part, shoulders and legs has the most variety for me, but again back and biceps isn't a problem, i just don't feel im getting an effective chest and triceps workout and that it would be more beneficial doing something else, the full body i did on saturday, didn't feel sore or nothing but did everything listed, that was fine, no problem but just want to make sure im doing enough, the split sounds like an idea, the only problem with the routine at the moment is the chest and triceps workout, i could probably do flys but like i said using a lower weight is going to get me strength and mass gains.

Day 332
Breakfast, 3 wheatabix with 200ml semi skimmed milk and a can of tuna for protein source.
365 cal 45.6g carb, 32.5g protein, 5g fat

Quite a gap between next food - bout 4-5hours.
Dried fig- 47 calorie, 10g carb
can of red kidney beans with a little tomato ketchup - 250 calories 18.2g protein 43g carb

Workout legs and shoulders
Legs
3 sets of deadlifts 50kg - 9,10,10 - with these i do them with knees bent, well bending knees instead of straight, it's probably harder but hopefully more effective.
3 sets of dumbbell squats (22kgx2) - 10,10,10 with these i feel form wasn't as good as it would of been with using a barbell and it's harder where ive got to carry the weight in hands and i feel it in shoulders, so next time may just do barbell squats and be as careful as i can.
3 sets of dumbbell lunges (22kgx2) - 10,10,10
3 sets of calf raises - 10,10,10

Shoulders
Military Press 40kg - 8,8,8
Vertical Row 25kg - 10,10,10
Reverse Flys (5kgx2) - 10,8,8
Side raises (8kgx2) - 8,7,6 with these left wrist gives in before muscles, for example when i lift the weight to the side it wobbles near the end of sets (left hand).

Good workout overall i feel, with the side raises i watched a video on form and put shoulders back together as much as possible (so blades nearly touching), this is probably the hardest workout, as legs could be a seperate day workout and are hard to workout, im not complaining though, pretty decent session i feel, again hopefully im not overdoing it with shoulders, but i don't think i am.

After had a protein shake mixed with 1/2 cup oats (8tblspoons) and 100ml semi skimmed milk.
322 cal 30.9g protein, 32.4g carb, 4.4g fat.

:D Just need to sort out the chest triceps workout i suppose.
Todays workout looks good Martin.

I can't access that killer chest workout as I'm at work and the site is blocked. What about something like this for the chest and triceps day:

flat bench 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps
flys with exercise bands 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps
incline pushups 2 sets of as many as you can do
decline pushups 2 sets of as many as you can do
close hands pushups (put hands together to form a triangle... this will really hit your tris) 3-4 sets of as many as you can do
bench dips 3-4 sets of as many as you can do (go online and watch a few videos to make sure you're doing these with proper form. You can also elevate your feet by placing them on a chair to make your tris work even more)

There are some ideas on this site for incline pushups without an incline bench if you're interested... http://scoobysworkshop.com/chest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KimmyRoss
STARTING OUT

Post by KimmyRoss »

Crunches, sit-ups and other core exercises can do the tricks here. If you are not just so young, I will suggest some tummy tuck procedures, a surgical thing wherein excess fats/skin in the tummy is removed. With the best doctor, one can have a well-toned tummy. Maybe when you get older already and your tummy has still those flabs.