brazilian blowout - formeldahyde

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: brazilian blowout - formeldahyde

Post by musculargirl »

bad news today! http://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext ... %20blowout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't believe a company would lie about that and endanger people!! I trust the governement over the company. I guess i'm going back to curly hair after this. :cry:
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Thanks allison for not rubbing it in at all!! :)

Actually i haven't told family about concerns because they would flip and i would never hear the end of it!

I tell you getting your hair done shouldn't be so complicated or dangerous! I guess i will have to learn to love being a frizz head!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I have tried other straightners that don't have formeldayde at all.

Its first time doing the brazilian blowout. I also did keratin complex smoothing therapy twice to be honest once in 2008 and once in 2009. I guess that may have formeldahyde too. I was just reading how the european union just banned the keratin complex smoothing therapy by coppola two weeks ago for too much formeldahyde. :( :( What's really annoying about this whole thing is how sneaky and deceptive these companies have been about admitting what's in their product. Its more than annoying actually.

I guess i'm going back to curly though. I don't really like the other straightners on the market. I liked the keratin by coppola actually the best of all the ones i tried including the brazilian. But obviously not going to do that anymore!

**Another thing annoying, i just called a salon i really trust and i asked if the keratin by coppola has formeldahyde in it and the lady at the desk says it does not.. I'm pretty sure the EU banned it because it does so i don't know, i think that is what really adds to the confusion. You see salons all over saying the crap the companies tell them and then telling it to the customers. It really adds to the confusion!! I really smell some lawsuits coming from this eventually.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I've been in sales so i know how misleading companies can be about some things but it kind of takes it too a whole new level when they lie about their product that could potentially harm people with a possible fatal disease. Pretty unethical. I think the salons are being pretty unethical too! With all the contraversy you think they would be more cautious about providing services like this but i guess money talks.

**I went to Brazilian Blowouts facebook page and they say that they did pass CA Osha test and that they are Formelahyde free. They say that the tests weren't done correctly. Someone from a salon brought them into their lab in a different bottle and that person wasn't certified to even give BBlowout to anyone. So confusion continues. Guess eventually it will get figured out. The whole thing is VERY confusing and worrisome. You don't really know who to believe. Some people were on the facebook page talking about how they were customers or sylists and they were pregnant while receiving a bblowout. Even on their webpage they say you shouldn't do it if you are pregnant. Scary. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If some people have reported negative reactions to the product, then it could be a real problem, as this product is going to interact mostly with hair and skin, not internally, so in opinion it can't be because the reaction is related to lack of enzymes, reaction to supplements, medications, Alcohol, Caffeine, rogue DNA, pre-exsiting condition, autoimmune problems, etc etc, so it can't be put down to an unlucky few, that had something that was the catalyst for the proble, the problem must therefore stem directly from the product itself, instead of another factor or factors.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I agree Boss. I'm not going to do it anymore even if it comes out it was formelahyde free.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

They did their own study and concluded Formaldehyde levels were below accepted upper limits.

Yeah, go figure. Then I suppsoe you could remove all the water from a Pro Bodybuilders turds and sell the powdered remains it as protein powder. Someone would disagree, but the company could say they had done a study of their own and show you a picture of some wrester and claim he buffed up on anhydrous excretia, just to prove themselves right.

:roll: :roll:
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I don't really consider it beating a dead horse at all. Sense the salons are still providing services using the brazilian blowout here in the USA. and other places as well.

This is what the FDA said about it.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Productand ... 228898.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Here's another report that GMA did a week ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/braz ... d=12062490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still really confusing as to what the actual truth is. I'm going to try to go au natural but I have a feeling i will get sick of that after a while. Maybe i will just shave head and buy a wig. :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I was just reading the spin brazilian blowout put on their webpage that made me confused. But really your right it seems pretty clear what the truth is. :)
HONDAJOSH
STARTING OUT

Post by HONDAJOSH »

Marc Anthony's Simply Straight Instant Straightening Cream. Good luck!
dkas2929
STARTING OUT

Post by dkas2929 »

musculargirl,
I would be real careful of what you put on your hair. A lot of those companies are only interested in profits
and curly hair is better than no hair. Besides I personally like curly hair.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

it's now 2.5 years later and i haven't straightened hair at all in this time. hair grew back curly. But the funny thing is its now softer again. use to be really dry and coarse and i now think it was due to diet. it's still a little coarse and dry but not like it was before i started straightening hair. :) and i have learned for the most part to embrace curls. :)
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/brazilian-blow ... d=15821056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is where the government stands 2.5 years later on the matter.