Hair Loss ???

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Actually, I started thinning early twenties, started bic'n it now it grows in thicker at the crown.

Genetically speaking, don't look to your father if you're going bald. Scientists are pretty sure the gene for baldness is passed down the mothers half of your genes.

Cheers
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I was not previously aware of the Finasteride / Propecia connection, however I still believe Finasteride a.k.a Fina is actually a Steroid. I could be wrong, but I think it might be.

Thanks for clearing that point up though.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

vamp wrote:Actually, I started thinning early twenties, started bic'n it now it grows in thicker at the crown.

Genetically speaking, don't look to your father if you're going bald. Scientists are pretty sure the gene for baldness is passed down the mothers half of your genes.

Cheers
That would mean it is linked... Which it is not.. Baldness is definitely multifactorial. mothers side has full hair, on fathers side every one of his brothers went bald, but their father did not. father is also not bald, yet I am. So it isnt a simple genetic inheritance.

As for finasteride, I'm completely unsure as to whether or not it is a steroid. From what I understand it simply blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT... lot of awful side effects if you're unlucky enough to experience them.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You're right about the DHT, (Dihydrotestosterone), that's a big player in baldness.

Gentic inheirtance could be the thing though as well.

Some genetic problems can actually skip generation. They remain dormant in a child, who's Father had the problem, and who's future children become "active" to the genetic anomelie.

Someone could have a Father with Alzheimers, not get it themselves, and then have one of their children get it, around approximately when they become 65-70 maybe older. Potentially the exact same age as the Grandfather did as well.

I can't recall the reasoning for this though, or why this inherited trait can be dormant, but triggered in future generations, or what are or is the trigger(s)
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

Boss Man wrote:You're right about the DHT, (Dihydrotestosterone), that's a big player in baldness.

Gentic inheirtance could be the thing though as well.

Some genetic problems can actually skip generation. They remain dormant in a child, who's Father had the problem, and who's future children become "active" to the genetic anomelie.

Someone could have a Father with Alzheimers, not get it themselves, and then have one of their children get it, around approximately when they become 65-70 maybe older. Potentially the exact same age as the Grandfather did as well.

I can't recall the reasoning for this though, or why this inherited trait can be dormant, but triggered in future generations, or what are or is the trigger(s)
Think of a trait being displayed phenotypically... Since you only inherit about 25% of a parents genes, you are not guarunteed to display a phenotype that makes you alike unless the traits are simple recessive or dominant genes. The genetic code you inherit is so unique you might have two children in 128 billion (from same parents) who are identical-- at least thats what I remember from developmental stats last year, numbers could be off. Just because one parent displays it doesnt mean you WILL inherit it, there are many possible outcomes.

Anyhow!

I hear saw palmetto works too... but eating well (the food advice given earlier is great).. also vitA reduces sebum production, which is what I believe contains the DHT that harms your hair follicles.. Just dont OD on it!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I understand what you're saying about a child not getting some kind of illness a parent had. However point was why does the anomelie skip generations. Assuming a child doesn't possess any genetic triggers for things like Neurological issues, a parent might get, I don't understand why a child of that person would get the grandparents issue.

Somehow that genetic trigger remains latent, in the middle of the three generations.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

Boss Man wrote:I understand what you're saying about a child not getting some kind of illness a parent had. However point was why does the anomelie skip generations. Assuming a child doesn't possess any genetic triggers for things like Neurological issues, a parent might get, I don't understand why a child of that person would get the grandparents issue.

Somehow that genetic trigger remains latent, in the middle of the three generations.
Just hypotehtical, but you could inherit a recessive trait from one parent and not the other, so you are just a carrier of a certain phenotype and whomever you mate with may also be a carrier of said recessive.. If you are lucky enough to get both recessives, you end up with said trait even though it has essentially skipped a generation.. There are plenty of other ways this could happen, though..
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That makes perfect sense, I just couldn't visualise it into some kind of logic.
dunk
STARTING OUT

Post by dunk »

Get the diet rirght. Add few veggies to your daily meal. This would defenitely help in hairloss.. not sure about the growth. :!:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Anything with Lignans could help reduce Hairloss, so that includes Flax, Soy, Whole-grain, possibly Omega 3 Eggs, (Chickens fed some Flax), and maybe veggies to a small extent as well.
tulipkiya
STARTING OUT

Re: Hair Loss ???

Post by tulipkiya »

Talk to your doctor. A doctor can determine why the hair is falling out and suggest a treatment!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Depends on the Doctor. You might need a Dermatologist or a Trichologist if it's Hair related. Though issues can occur from too much DHT, (Di-hydro Tesosterone), caused by excess Testosterone and of course taking Anabolic substances could as well.
lizagill
STARTING OUT

Post by lizagill »

Hey same I also heard about the propecia to prevent hair loss..I think ones you should try it..hope it would work on you..