Need Help with a new Workout

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sheppardmethod
STARTING OUT

Need Help with a new Workout

Post by Sheppardmethod »

Hey all,
I train in Pilates and I have been seeing pretty good results in terms of losing weight, and feeling better about myself and body in general, but I want to start getting more muscle gains. I have never lifted weights before and I don't know where to begin. Has anyone here used Pilates in addition to other body building workouts?

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need Help with a new Workout

Post by Boss Man »

I haven't personally done that, not having done Pilates before, but in terms of getting started on the weights this is the sort of thing that you potentially do.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Need Help with a new Workout

Post by toddhicks209 »

Optimal strength training includes lifting the amount of weight you comfortably can eight to 12 times until your muscles tire then increasing the amount you bench press as you get stronger.