Critique Workout Program

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

adam28143
STARTING OUT

Critique Workout Program

Post by adam28143 »

Hey,

Please critique workout program. I'm open to any recommendations, as I am not an expert.

Goal: Add strength, flexibility and endurance. Aim to get stronger, but also improve cardiovascular system.

Current Stats:
Height - 5-10
Weight - 168
Bench Press - 170 (est)
Squat - 190 (est)
5k Time - probably 30:00 minutes

Goal Stats:
Height - 5-10 (can't change that)
Weight - 165 pounds
Bench Press - 190
Squat - 250
5k Time - 22:00

Monday – Weightlifting (Low Rep, High Weight)

Squats – 160 pounds 4 reps x 5 sets
Inclined Dumbell Press – 45 pounds in each hand x 4 reps x 3 sets
Overhead Press – 85 pounds x 4 reps x 3 sets
Pull-Ups – 7 reps x 3 sets

Tuesday – Stretching/Yoga

Wednesday – Cardio (Jogging/Swimming)

Thursday – Weightlifting (High Rep, Low Weight)

Squats – 135 pounds 8 reps x 5 sets
Inclined Dumbell Press – 35 pounds in each hand x 12 reps x 3 sets
Overhead Press – 55 pounds x 10 reps x 3 sets
Pull-Ups – 7 reps x 3 sets

Friday - Stretching/Yoga

Saturday – Cardio (Jogging/Swimming)

Sunday – Rest

Thanks,
Adam
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Critique Workout Program

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Adam, good to talk you.

First point of note, high rep low weight is rubbish, you either want low rep high weight, or high rep high weight. You don't need to go to failure, but you should be aiming to go to about 90-95% of max lifting for anything between 6-15 reps based on what you're doing.

Ideally 6-10 reps is best for most things, but if you're doing 12-15 reps with close to max lift you'll be alright progress wise.

What is that Wednesday workout anyway as you've not listed it.
adam28143
STARTING OUT

Post by adam28143 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Adam, good to talk you.

First point of note, high rep low weight is rubbish, you either want low rep high weight, or high rep high weight. You don't need to go to failure, but you should be aiming to go to about 90-95% of max lifting for anything between 6-15 reps based on what you're doing.

Ideally 6-10 reps is best for most things, but if you're doing 12-15 reps with close to max lift you'll be alright progress wise.

What is that Wednesday workout anyway as you've not listed it.
Thanks for the reply. On Wednesdays, I either swim or run. At this point, endurance is lousy, so I run (at most) 1.5 miles and I swim (at most) for 25 minutes. Over time, I hope to improve to 3 miles on the treadmill or an hour in the pool.

You think I should shoot for 8 reps instead of 4, or should I increase the weight a bit (say squat 170 instead of 160) but remain at 4 reps? Again, I'm not looking to get really big or strong; but I want to become fit and athletic.

Thanks again for your comments,
Adam
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd aim for 8 reps.

In relation to the other stuff, I'd do the Thursday workout on Wednesday and ditch the Wednesday workout, so you have two off days to rest split from one another.

I'd also add some lunges into your workouts, as you're not doing much for your hamstrings with those squats it's mainly quad stuff.

I'd put some deadlifts in there as well to work the abs and lower back.