Need help with gym workout routine

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Repped
STARTING OUT

Need help with gym workout routine

Post by Repped »

Every other day gym routine:

1. Run a mile around the track

2. Lift w/ weight machines (Arms/Legs)

3. Work abs

4. Run 1/4 of a mile around the track

Questions:

1. Am I getting enough cardio/running?

2. I do so many machines for arms at the gym. How many machines am I supposed to be doing? They are all a little different. I go for 3 sets of 10 reps on each machine. When I bench I do 2 sets of 10 normal and another 2 sets of 10 inclined.

3. I need a lot of help for ab workout. What I've been doing is 3 sets of 10 inclined sit-ups on the sit-up machine. goal is to get a 6 pack after I drop off this fat or at least get a flat/toned tummy.
Repped
STARTING OUT

Re: Need help with gym workout routine

Post by Repped »

Lesplease wrote:Weights first

free weights over machines

chest? shoulders? balance baby balance.

sit ups dont do any thing but give you back problems. there are a ton of core exercises.

post your meal plan. abs=diet
Well the various machines do get chest and back along with arms. I think the bench pressing does get chest too. I'll look into some free weight lifts though. What is a good free weight routine that gets all the muscles in arms, chest, and back? I want to gain a lot of muscle mass in arms. I'm not taking the benchpress or inclined benchpress out of routine.

What ab exercises can do instead of situps? And how many sets and reps? I was checking this vid out last night and am probably going to start doing this everyday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meal plan is different every day. However, I only eat meat, light whole grain bread, mustard, vegetables, fruit, nuts, protein shakes (only after workout), a slice or two of provolone a day, light ranch (only with vegetables), a bunch of water, cheerios w/ skim milk, lowfat yogurt, cottage cheese, and egg whites.
Julieli
STARTING OUT

Post by Julieli »

At the end of the day you need to be consuming less calories than you're body needs -to lose weight. So if your over consuming calories you'll have excess body fat. So the question- Are you doing enough cardio yes and no. Depends on your goals. If you want to lose weight and add lean muscle, I'd recommend a calorie controlled diet to lose weight gradually- try no carbs after 4pm :) and go hard at the gym. For example- if doing chest and shoulders- try warm up cardio, Bench press, decline bench press, cable pec fly, Incline DB bench Press, and fatigue with pushups- then Shoulder press machine, DB shoulder flys, wavy bar upright rows and DB front raises- all sets 3 sets, 10-12 reps max. Take it easy at first if you're a novice- however if you have been training a fair while you need to train until fatigue ;)
T.P.W.
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by T.P.W. »

No leg weights?? :?

Like Lesplease mentioned above, you need to balance in order to workout your whole body. Depends what you're aims are. Just building for personal reasons or training for specific sport/activity? Your goal should determine the type of exercises you do and how long you spend in the gym, so a little info on what you want to achieve will help people advise you.

Also +1 for the free weights over machines, as free weights work so many other supporting muscles, meaning more calories burnt (more bang for you buck). If you have any movements that cause major pain or clicking joints then you should consider using machines to help support you in these particular exercises. Happens for me with some shoulder movements so I tend to use cable machines for certain exercises. Last thing you want is your shoulder or collar bone popping out of place!!