need advice on dropping weight

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

stylist3898
STARTING OUT

need advice on dropping weight

Post by stylist3898 »

I need advice on the best way to lose 25 lbs in 3 months. I joined the gym today and would love to know what exercises would be best... how many reps and sets...what to do... how much weight etc.

I am going to follow the 5 factor diet. goal is to look and feel better. I am a hairstylist and standing for 10-12 hours a day can be fatiguing. energy is low and id like to increase that as well. I am fully committed and desperately need some advice. Thanks.
leanmachine
STARTING OUT

Re: need advice on dropping weight

Post by leanmachine »

Hello stylist3898,

Losing 25 lbs within 3 months is definitely achievable provided you clean your diet. Eliminate any carbohydrates with flour in them. Limit sugar intake. Limit diet sodas since the aspartame can promote weight gain. Up your protein intake to 1 gram per pound of body weight. Eat 4 to 6 meals per day. Portion them though and don't over eat. Drink lots of water. Finally eat anything you want once per week. Follow these tips and you'll lose those pounds.

Hope this helps

Warren
Founder of http://www.muscleupfatloss.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

What succinct and awesome advice! Thank you Warren ;)
Do you think those 25 lbs stylist wants to lose can be dropped by the nutritional shift alone?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What is a 5 factor diet, because I'm getting suspicious about it already?
Lateralis17
STARTING OUT

Post by Lateralis17 »

Get a workout split EX. mondays lower body tues and wed cardio. friday upper body. Do one exercise for each body part ex. mondays leg extension, leg curl, and seated calf raises. Do three sets for each exercise to begin with. Work until failure on each set. Failure should be between 10-15 reps. Rest 30-90 secs in between sets. Drink lots of water. Being properly hydrated can fight fatigue. Dieting is going to be most important in weightloss so check this link http://dietandexercisefacts.blogspot.co ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And make sure you are getting enough protein. Hope this helps.
Cheers :D
gymfun11
STARTING OUT

Post by gymfun11 »

Stick to a workout routine and eat 5 meals. However limit your portions! Try fasting 1 day a week.

I know I'm going to get blasted :shock: for this suggestion, as this is not for everyone. When you get

hungry drink water, green tea, of have a cup of coffee. Good luck!

Jerry
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Not for everyone, thats not for ANYONE gymfun.Most ridiculous thing I've read thus far on this site.Lateralis did I see on another thread you've completed the ACE personal training course & you are now recommending a new person START with 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps ?..Did you actually get tested on the material or just read the book ? Starting should be ONE set of 12 - 15 reps... 3 x per week ..for each muscle group.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd agree that 3 sets for starters is not good, but I would say 2 sets is amicable and the person could probably do 8 reps very light stuff. Mostly around 2-4kgs on DB's, 4-8kgs on Bars and 1-2 plates on machines approximate starter weights.

theory being, that doing a 15 set rep mentality with newbies, is not worth it if the person conditions themselves to weight over 4-6 weeks, than starts doing around 8-10 reps with an 80-90% intensity, as you could do 8 light reps for 2 sets, then a few weeks later, step up to 3 with a heavier intensity, but the same reps.

15 reps of light stuff for me, could potentially increase Lactate production, compared to 8 and increase possible fatigue and issues with tolerance, because even a man curling 5lb DB's for 15, may find it a problem doing 15 reps, but 2 sets of 8 with a good 90 seconds rest in between, should be enough, because you can push the person a little bit providing you're giving them enough rest time to replenish Oxygen into the muscles, as long as you give adequate rest, no 30-45 seconds obviously, but more like 90 possibly even 120.

You could even go for a methodology of 90 on small muscles and 120 on bigger ones, so you allocate another 33.33% more time, to allow the extra oxygen bigger muscles can retain, to get back in.

1 set of 15 may well work, I'm not saying it doesn't or can't, but for the reasons I state, it may not and may slow the rate of conditioning long-term, because you wouldn't be getting each muscle group accustomed to being worked and rested and then worked again, if you work a muscle for 15 reps, then switch to another muscle, instead of using a 2x8 mentality, which will make the person do another rep per muscle group, but realistically, a good rest break should allow adequate Oxygen recovery, so any extra fatigue, (if any), from that extra rep per muscle, should be prevented so it shouldn't accumlate over the timespan of the workout, resulting in detriment to the individual, which might possibly happen if you did 2x10 or 2x12 instead of 1x15.

Just thoughts. I'm not trying to poo-poo other peoples sound reasoning, but again 3 sets of 10-15 reps for newbies is way too much I must concur. I think 2x15 would be a bit much too, assuming he may have typed in 3x15 by accident instead of 2x15.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well maybe this is where your experience comes in to play.I've been taught to start in endurance, for persons unfamiliar with weights.