Couch to 1/2 marathon

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

lisa82
STARTING OUT

Couch to 1/2 marathon

Post by lisa82 »

Hi everyone :D
I have just signed up for a half marathon (whilst under the influence :oops: ) and I need some advice. I had been doing spin at the gym, but have gave it up due to knee injury, and took to walking an hour or 2 every day. Although I have done no exercise in about 6weeks due to work overload, but now have more time to do an exercise regime again.
I know I'll need to start off slowly so I don't re-injure knees, but I was wondering would any of you guys have ever done it before, or if you think it's possible!?
I'm about 45lbs overweight so this is also an issue I guess. I'll need to drop weight before I can run long distances maybe to prevent injury?

Any advice, or sucess stories welcome!! I need all the help I can get!

Oh, and I have a gym membership, and also a dog and a nice flat path near house so I am ok that way :D
Thanks for looking, Lisa
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Couch to 1/2 marathon

Post by fitoverforty »

The first question I would ask: When is the 1/2 marathon you signed up for? You need at least 12 to 16 weeks to safely train.
If you are basically starting from scratch and have recently recovered from a knee injury, and have some weight to lose also, I would suggest you choose a run/walk training program. Also, incorporate some weight training at the gym on the cross training days.
Also, if you haven't already, you need to eat as cleanly and as healthfully as possible. There are lots of posts on here about that, how to go about it, what to eat, what NOT to eat. Basically boils down to: Lean meats, fresh/steamed veggies, fruit, salads with dark leafy greens. Stay away from processed foods, crackers, (includes all those "100 calorie" snacks) white breads, sugary granola bars, etc. - stick to whole grains as much as possible. For example, for a sweet snack, you can try a plain Greek yogurt, adding some blueberries, or a bit of all natural honey, or a tbsp. of all natural peanut butter.
Take it slow - don't try to do too much too soon (a common mistake alot of folks make - including myself in the past :( )Pay attention to your body, if something is hurting, your body is trying to tell you something - so rest it, ice it, whatever you need to do - and scale back your training until it is healed.

Here is one link I found that has a good run/walk 1/2 marathon program:
http://running.about.com/od/halfmaratho ... rathon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to you! I have signed up for a 1/2 marathon in April :D
lisa82
STARTING OUT

Post by lisa82 »

Hi, thanks for your reply and advice!
It's in September, so plenty of time to train hopefully :)
I will read up on the clean eating, never tried to eat that way before but it sounds like it's better for the body. Do you eat that way, is it hard to get used to?
Oh, and good luck for your half marathon :D Have you done one before?
Lisa :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Here's another program that might be something you like.

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2010/ ... start.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think like Lynne asked, when is the half marathon is the big question. This program starts out walking for a couple weeks, then building yourself up for run/walking and then after that a run/walk half marathon or run depending on what you want to do. Another thing you will have to check is does your half marathon have a time limit? A lot of them do.

I'm not real familiar with knee pain, luckily so far (knock of wood) I've never had to deal with it, but what i've read things that can help are if you do some cross training to use different muscles, it will help to run/walk and i've also heard some strenthing exercises and stretch may help depending on what type of knee injury you have. If you google knee pain there is a lot of info on it on the web. Again I'm no expert but that is just the information i've read. Some people on here that run have had knee pain, and I like you am overweight so I've been researching the best ways to prevent it because its sounds like no fun!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

lisa82 wrote:I will read up on the clean eating, never tried to eat that way before but it sounds like it's better for the body. Do you eat that way, is it hard to get used to?
When I first joined here I kept hearing everyone talk about eating "clean". I didn't really know what that meant. But I have learned it just means eating as naturally and simply as possible. I do the best i can, not perfect by a long shot. Try to stay away from pre packaged frozen foods, for example: instead of buying a frozen dinner of pasta/spinach/chicken, try making it yourself using fresh ingredients. You will be saving yourself alot of excess sodium, chemicals, preservatives, etc. It takes a bit more time, but it is so much better for your body. Be careful with dips and/or salad dressings. There are a lot of homemade from scratch healthy salad dressings you can make. Keep some extra virgin olive oil on hand, use it in dressings and marinades and to pan sear meats.
It is hard to get used to, any type of major change in your life is at first hard, but it doesn't take long before you notice yourself really thinking about what you are eating, reading labels, and making better choices.
lisa82 wrote:Oh, and good luck for your half marathon :D Have you done one before?
Thank you! Yes, I have done 4 half marathons. :mrgreen: Hoping later this year to complete first full marathon. :D