Skinny new guy needs advice

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

NeilGoring
STARTING OUT

Skinny new guy needs advice

Post by NeilGoring »

Hi everyone!
I'm new here and could really use sound advice about workout.

I've always been very skinny and always found it very hard to look more lean/toned instead of just skinny. For about 2 years I used to breakdance 2-3 times a week which helped a little but was more focused around body-weight & cardio. I've not had the opportunity to keep up with dancing the last year or so and now I have more free time I'm aiming to get body into a lean yet toned appearance.

Pictures of me currently:
Image Image

Ultimately, I do not want to bulk out too much and rather just get toned like say Jared Leto or Brad Pitt in Fight Club, I enjoy being lightweight for breakdancing.

I've researched as much as possible and come up with the following conclusion about hitting the body type that I want, PLEASE feel free to comment on this:
Exercise -
> Jogging and jumping jacks for 30mins 6-7 times a week first thing in the morning before breakfast - To tap right into the fat reserves, lowering body fat % and creating definition.
> Gym only twice a week, allowing at least 48hrs between visits and getting plenty of rest.
> Low rep (6-7), max weight to "shock" muscles while keeping type of exercise as varied as possible. Workouts to a max of one hour followed by breakdancing for 30mins as a cardio exercise.
> Light sprinting, stabilization and anti-rotational exercises when not using weights

Diet -
> Breakfast - Omelette using 4 eggs with spring onion, green pepper and green beans (supplemented by one Omega 3 pill)
> Lunch - Chicken/fish with salad & more green veg and a fruit
> Dinner - Grilled chicken with brown rice and similar veg to breakfast only slightly steamed (supplemented by one Omega 3 pill)

Note: Need help with how to make protein shakes and what kind of "snacks" I'm allowed between meals. Also, I don't often get more than 6 hours sleep except 2 days a week, will this be a major problem?

What I wanted to know is if this all seems good and what type of exercises I should be performing with free-weights. I'm not too concerned about building legs but chest and abs are main focus, should I be rotating these each day?

Any comments would be a great help!

Thanks,
Neil
born2bfree
STARTING OUT

Re: Skinny new guy needs advice

Post by born2bfree »

IMO Eat lots,...3 big ones 3-4 little ones 5-7 meals per day. Weight train heavy weights(find out what your last rep max weight is.)Meaning your last rep should be a struggle to do. low reps(5-8) 3 sets. I use Mutant mass...i only use a total of 4 scoops per day=1060 cals. It is a great product. Some days i don't eat enough but that happens. I was thin until late 20s then i took charge. work out is one on one off about 1 1/2 hour each time with very little cardio other than boxing.
I have a basic home gym and free weights. Keep at it, be positive and avoid nay sayers...
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Some types of cardiovascular training can raise your anaerobic threshold, which is invaluable for weights.
NeilGoring
STARTING OUT

Post by NeilGoring »

Thanks for the advice, really helpful!

One thing, If I eat as many as 7 meals a day along with 1060cals of shakes, wont that bulk me out a lot? I'm really not looking for that kind of build. Additionally, due to work I can only really eat 4 times a day, could I use meal replacement bars?

Also, thanks for the tip of anaerobic cardio, would you care to give me some good examples? I assume this should be done after free-weights or first thing in the morning along with jog?
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

The anaerobic intervals are best done of alternating days to that of weights, due to their use of the central nervous system & their intensity.They can be done 2 x per week...some examples would be 30/90 second splits...or longer anaerobic ones of 1 min/2 min split.The shorter ones are recommended to do at max ( 90 - 100 % ) effort for the 30 seconds then drop back to a speed at which you feel you can recover for 90 seconds, before the next interval.The longer ones also can be done at the most maximum you can sustain for the minute, it will take a few times to gauge yourself.These can be done for a total of 20 minutes.
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by PuroRock327 »

Hey Niel,

There are two things here that kinda jump out at me...
1. Don't fear the weights and the gym. Lifting 3 days a week will probably benefit you... I would wager Brad Pitt lifted weights more than twice a week to accomplish that physique in Fight Club. Your plan looks to burn a lot of fat, which is terrific, but what will be behind the fat? Cut, but skinny arms? That's fine I suppose. I just don't see how you would gain a full, overall workout to achieve the musculature you want while only sticking to 1 hour workouts, twice weekly, attempting to incorporate varied exercises. That's a lot of work allocated into a little bit of time. Besides, to bulk up you would have to consume a lot more than what you are eating as well, so I wouldn't concern yourself with that either at this point. Just because you hit the weights hard does NOT mean you are going to bulk up.

I would recommend 3 days in the gym using a good overall body workout (including deadlifts and squats)... even lifting lightly at first (out of necessity to perfect form and to see how your body reacts). I'm sure your dancing would benefit from your increased overall body strength and control.

2. Count your calories. How many do you take in a day? Count it up for a week and get your daily and weekly numbers. Determine a calorie deficit from that point to help obtain the six pack you want, in conjunction with cardio and lifting. But if you can provide those numbers it would go a long way into determining what your workout routine should look like.

As for free weights... for your chest, you cannot get around Bench Press. Dumbbell flys. Push ups. Dips. Incline Bench Press.
For your abs... it's mostly about diet, get to the 6 meals a day average (each meal should be balanced with your daily carb, protein and fat intake in each serving), avoid bad food and keep up on your cardio. But building your core can benefit from pure old school lifts like Deads, squats, overhead press, and pretty much any standing version of a lift/exercise (i.e. standing hammer curls vs. seated).
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

What " plan " are you referring to exactly ?
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Oh, there is a plan above, bad..one question, if you are skinny, how much body fat % do you currently have ?